Bewildering/Funny Cust Serv Phone Call

kgavin

Original poster
Mar 23, 2006
I just received a phone call from E* customer service which at first I found irritating but now I'm finding myself LOLing about it. So I thought I would share. In this story the word "something" is going to be replaced with "sthg" since there's a lot of them.

The conversation starts out with a "sthg, sthg, sthg, etc" in an Indian accent. I'm clueless as to what they just said. After 5 (count them) attempts I have gotten the word dish and my last name. I ask if he is from dish and asking to speak with me. He says yes and says that there have been a lot of complaints about customer service and wanted to know if I had any. I said well yes. My biggest complaint about customer service is that I can't understand them, I have trouble getting concepts across to them, and their answers tend to not make any sense or I just can't understand what they are telling me.

I then get a "sthg, sthg, number, "dish", sthg, sthg, number, "DVR", sthg, sthg, "install". After a few more attempts, I said are you trying to tell me that E* is going to replace my dish? what does this have to do with my customer service complaint?

I then get a "sthg, sthg, connect you to my supervisor".

Next I get a whole truck load of sthg's and I say I can't understand you, could you please repeat. After many many attempts, with me repeating each time what I think he is trying to tell me so he knows if he has made any progress, I ultimately get a bunch of sthgs intermixed with numbers, "dish", "DVR", "box","waive", dollar amount, "call to install".

I said what does this have to do with my customer service complaint. My complaint was that I can't understand them, I have trouble getting concepts across to them, and their answers tend to not make any sense or I just can't understand what they are telling me.

Then I get a sthg, sthg, sthg, call in 24 hours.

What was that about? Don't I get to say "case in point" now?:confused:

Thru my IT job I some times have to deal with folks who have English as a second language. Some of them can be quite difficult to understand. But at work I often know the subject matter and have spoken with them before so I have a head start. Besides at work I'm paid for it. Shouldn't E* be paying me my hourly rate to listen to their customer service? Just a thought.

I just received a phone call from E* customer service which at first I found irritating but now I'm finding myself LOLing about it. So I thought I would share. In this story the word "something" is going to be replaced with "sthg" since there's a lot of them.

The conversation starts out with a "sthg, sthg, sthg, etc" in an Indian accent. I'm clueless as to what they just said. After 5 (count them) attempts I have gotten the word dish and my last name. I ask if he is from dish and asking to speak with me. He says yes and says that there have been a lot of complaints about customer service and wanted to know if I had any. I said well yes. My biggest complaint about customer service is that I can't understand them, I have trouble getting concepts across to them, and their answers tend to not make any sense or I just can't understand what they are telling me.

I then get a "sthg, sthg, number, "dish", sthg, sthg, number, "DVR", sthg, sthg, "install". After a few more attempts, I said are you trying to tell me that E* is going to replace my dish? what does this have to do with my customer service complaint?

Next I get a whole truck load of sthg's and I say I can't understand you, could you please repeat. After many many attempts, with me repeating each time what I think he is trying to tell me so he knows if he has made any progress, I ultimately get a bunch of sthgs intermixed with numbers, "dish", "DVR", "box","waive", dollar amount, "call to install".

I said what does this have to do with my customer service complaint. My complaint was that I can't understand them, I have trouble getting concepts across to them, and their answers tend to not make any sense or I just can't understand what they are telling me.

Thru my IT job I some times have to deal with folks who have English as a second language. Some of them can be quite difficult to understand. But at work I often know the subject matter and have spoken with them before so I have a head start. Besides at work I'm paid for it. Shouldn't E* be paying me my hourly rate to listen to their customer service? Just a thought.

I agree, and why should those us with over $100.00 a mo satellite bills have our money sent overseas to people that work for $20.00 to $40.00 a mo. And then not be able to understand when we speak with them. Think of the profit that is being made by E*

Was his name....rrrrrusty? Love the way they always have a common name but such a heavy accent you can't understand anything but the name...lol funny story!

I am chiming in here in the hopes that Dish is actually looking at this site (and it seems with the long distance controversy they actually might be checking in).

I had an install gone bad 2 wks ago and have made more calls to Dish in the past 2 wks than in the past 11 years. I am increasingly frustrated at the amount of time it takes to get to talk to a human being and then to get passed on to someone who can speak English clearly enough for me to comprehend. In addition, they are very reluctant to pass calls through to supervisors.

I would challenge Charlie to call his own company with a variety of challenges:
'bill paying, tech repairs and a customer service inquiry" and see how he does. I imagine he might have a little more sympathy towards our frustrations.

In addition, it seems like all outsourced tech calls are given the standard 'wait for 20 minutes and if it isn't corrected call us back'. Naturally it is never corrected and I get to wait in line again to talk to someone.

Dishnet is most likely going to lose me and it won't even be over the distant network snafu.

I have more problems with them having Asians on the phone than understanding them. They tend to screw things all up with payments, do not understand, do not care / want to understand, hang up on you, etc. This is not service, this is stupid! Open up or expand your call centers in the U.S. Dish Network so that we can get the service that we deserve. You are NOT saving any money but losing it because I am sure you have lost business because people do not want to support sending our jobs overseas in addition to not being able to actually talk to someone.

In another thread I had one heck of a time with Dish Network's customer service. I have never had as many issues like I had the other week.

E* would not have opened overseas call centers if they hadn't run into so much trouble keeping their U.S. call centers staffed. Turnover was/is always very high. They're desperate for help even now and advertising like mad for help wanted locally and in other areas where they operate call centers. A new center in Texas just opened, but the overseas centers are established and here to stay.

The NUMBER ONE complaint fromn customerrs is the call centers...Customers gripe about not being able to understand the CSR...
The Indian call center CSR's understand but DO NOT speak English.At least fluently...They are trained to use certain phrases and listen for ceratin key words used by the customer..The CSR then matches the keyword with a corresponding response form a script..

E* would not have opened overseas call centers if they hadn't run into so much trouble keeping their U.S. call centers staffed. Turnover was/is always very high. They're desperate for help even now and advertising like mad for help wanted locally and in other areas where they operate call centers. A new center in Texas just opened, but the overseas centers are established and here to stay.
The overseas call centers are there BECAUSE THEY COST LESS TO OPERATE. PERIOD. If they have trouble staffing US call centers, it's because they do not pay a decent wage and/or offer proper benefits. (Up until they reached 10 mil subs, employess had to pay full price for a Dish subscription! Talk about cheap!)

Additionally, they don't even train their English-speaking US CSR's properly. Everybody was familiar with "CSR Roulette" long before the Indian call centers were open. So, add the inability to speak English to the p*ss-poor training, and you get some very frustrating phone calls.

I think that's the problem with most call centers - lack of training and standards. They push unreal measurements of work on these people like number of calls answered, availability time, etc. that just wear people down. Years ago I worked in a call center, and taking calls all day long wore me out more than doing physical labor. I finally got out of it after one day I took 115 calls in a day (that's alot for the place I worked), but did not meet my availability numbers for the day. I was like no @$!^, I took 115 calls and had to do stuff to help them.

The NUMBER ONE complaint fromn customerrs is the call centers...Customers gripe about not being able to understand the CSR...
The Indian call center CSR's understand but DO NOT speak English.At least fluently...They are trained to use certain phrases and listen for ceratin key words used by the customer..The CSR then matches the keyword with a corresponding response form a script..

This is certainly what it sounds like when I try to talk to them because I say certain things and they just dont get what I am saying. COMMUNICATION IS IMPORTANT!!! If customer cannot communicate problems and they do not get fixed you lose business. It is as simple as that.

It is ALL ABOUT THE MONEY! I find it hard to believe that they could not find enough people to work in their U.S. call centers. I bet people are lined up wanting those jobs and that they would have no problem filling those positions. I can believe that there is high turnover but if they would pay better or treat their employees better then they would keep them.

Post your 622 Reviews Here!

New Dish 1000?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)