BHN VOIP phone installed

jcarrera

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 15, 2006
Florida
I converted one of my two landlines to BHN phone (the other was converted to Wireless Home Phone a few weeks ago).

Pleased with performance so far. There were some glitches related to the install though.

At first, there was no dial tone. Tech solved that. Then it would make calls but not receive calls. That turned out to be that BHN had not marked the order as a number-port install--so the phone number did not yet "point to" this 'circuit'. They HAD done the number port part from the losing carrier, but actions required inside BHN had not been done. That took about 15 minutes--not a big deal except unnecessary confusion. Internet was tested with computer plugged into the modem and worked fine.

Later, I discovered that nothing I did could get my home network to get out to internet. Spent a couple of hours trying to see what was wrong with my computer or router, because I had SEEN the internet work fine during the install.

Finally gave up and called support. After awhile, and elevation to second level, they figured out that the device has to be set to work in "bridge mode" instead of router mode and was not. Why the install tech did not set it up right is unknown. It was complicated because internet through direct connect had worked fine.

Lastly, and this one is immensely frustrating, I got a call from a friend who said he had sent me three emails which were bounced saying "account does not exist." Huh?

Phone call again. Preface: getting the phone also provides an automatic upgrade of internet speed to 30Mbps if you are lower than that. Turns out (now get this...I am paraphrasing)...'sometimes, when we upgrade your speed, all of your email addresses except the main one, are placed into disabled status. Just log in to custhelp and enable all of your addresses, and they will start working again.'

Yep. Looked. All of my addresses except the main one had been disabled for no reason whatsoever.

BHN, you need to look at that and make it not happen to other people.

I'll answer the last issue first...it is being looked into and sorry about that. Also for the rest of the bad part of the experience as well...next time reach out to me please :) I'll wrap it up quick and simple. To answer your question about the router yes...if you plan to use your own router you should bridge the modem.

OK, here is an extended question...

Since this is now a box with a radio (access point) and ethernet ports (though only three with one of the four being occupied by the TP cable to my router, is there any way to use BOTH devices so as to (mostly) give me more cable ports?

All 4 on my router are filled and I need a couple more (in addition to the wireless...don't ask why I don't use wireless; I'm talking about devices that have no wireless or for which I need the higher speed of wire).

OK, here is an extended question...

Since this is now a box with a radio (access point) and ethernet ports (though only three with one of the four being occupied by the TP cable to my router, is there any way to use BOTH devices so as to (mostly) give me more cable ports?

All 4 on my router are filled and I need a couple more (in addition to the wireless...don't ask why I don't use wireless; I'm talking about devices that have no wireless or for which I need the higher speed of wire).

If your cable modem is set to bridge mode, the answer to using the available Ethernet ports is no. Bridging means that the modem is sending the WAN ip address to your router, which will handle the routing function for your network. If you need more Ethernet ports, get an inexpensive network switch.

I understand that in bridge mode, what I asked would not work...I was looking for operating it and the router simultaneously and configured so that I would have the vacant three hardware ports on the uBee available as LAN ports along with the router. (As I understand it, bridge mode turns off the LAN ports and the radio).

Maybe even with the radio operating for wireless as well--using my router then as a range extender AND port provider. I know this would be a complicated setup, maybe impossible. That's why I asked.

Is there a home router available that has more than 4 LAN ports?

I understand that in bridge mode, what I asked would not work...I was looking for operating it and the router simultaneously and configured so that I would have the vacant three hardware ports on the uBee available as LAN ports along with the router. (As I understand it, bridge mode turns off the LAN ports and the radio).

Maybe even with the radio operating for wireless as well--using my router then as a range extender AND port provider. I know this would be a complicated setup, maybe impossible. That's why I asked.

Is there a home router available that has more than 4 LAN ports?

There are routers that offer more than four ports but are uncommon. You could use both devices as routers but you will need to disable dhcp on one of the routers. It's not a recommended practice as you end up with double natting. Make sure to disable nat and dhcp on one of the routers. The simplest approach would be to leave the way it is and buy a cheap network switch which will be plug and play.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)