Big 10 National Feed Ending

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Big 10 National Feed Ending...

I believe I speak for the entire Dish Network nation when I say this will be a sad day for everyone losing access to BTN.;) On a positive note, it is still available in the sport pack. I wish more cable providers outside of the Big Ten State (all states are Big Ten states IMO) offered BTN.

Am I mistaken or were a lot of Comcast customers angry that their cable rates went up because the Big 10 all but forced them to put it in the basic package? Which being in the dark about this development seems odd to me given that.

I obviously have no problem with it being park of an optional package, especially if keeping it in a tier of service causes the cost to go up. I'm from a Big 10 state but only watch the games occasionally. My local Florida teams are much more fun to watch anyway especially because some of them actually win once in a while. It's great to be a Gator fan! :D

I believe I speak for the entire Dish Network nation when I say this will be a sad day for everyone losing access to BTN.;) On a positive note, it is still available in the sport pack. I wish more cable providers outside of the Big Ten State (all states are Big Ten states IMO) offered BTN.

You sure do speak for me!!!

I hope the SEC is taking note on how to run a sports channel in hd.:)

Comcast doesn't carry BTN.

Not yet, but soon.

Comcast, Big Ten Network are near a deal | Philadelphia Inquirer | 03/13/2008

Comcast, Big Ten Network are near a deal
By Bob Fernandez

Inquirer Staff Writer

Comcast Corp. and the Big Ten Network have reached broad compromises in the bitter negotiations that kept many of the conference's football and basketball games off millions of TV sets, according to people familiar with their agreement.
The Philadelphia cable company has agreed to carry the Big Ten Network on its expanded-basic tier or on its digital tier and no longer is threatening to stick the Big Ten Network in a specialized sports package that costs viewers an extra $5 a month, they say.

The Big Ten Network, launched in August 2007, is jointly owned by Fox Cable Networks and the consortium of 11 colleges in the Big Ten Conference, such as Pennsylvania State and Ohio State Universities.

Big Ten Network officials have said the Comcast sports package, with about one million viewers, would not generate sufficient revenue to support live sports programming.

They contended that Comcast was aiming to cripple the network because the cable company did not hold an ownership interest in it. Both sides spent heavily on advertising their positions last fall.

Comcast had said the Big Ten Network was too specialized for its broadest service levels, which reach nearly six million subscribers in the eight states with Big Ten teams.

Officials from Comcast and the Big Ten Network said the two sides were negotiating and close to a deal, but they warned that the talks were sensitive and that snags could develop. A final deal could be weeks or months away, they say.

The Big Ten Network said it would charge less than $1 per subscriber for the network. Details have not emerged about the subscriber fee, which would be paid by Comcast and considered a programming expense.

A Comcast official said a deal with the Big Ten Network would have no bearing on its dispute with the NFL Network, which is now carried in a sports package. The NFL Network has sued Comcast to relocate the network to a digital tier.

"We continue to talk, and we continue to make progress. Other than that, we cannot comment further," said Big Ten Network spokeswoman Elizabeth Conlisk.

"We continue to negotiate with the Big Ten for an agreement that is fair for our customers," said D'Arcy Rudnay, Comcast senior vice president.

BTN has been doing a great job of HD. I have been watching all the Wisconsin BB games that have been on there and all I can say is wow. They have been doing great. I am very happy that I will not loose this channel because I watch this channel now about as much as any other. I am sure once BB season is over, I won't watch as much, but then football isn't to far behind. I will most likely start watching the Brewers on my Local RSN soon. Hoping that everyone that wants the BTN can as an upgrade, because they have done such a good job of broadcasting there events in HD.

Great channel

I just love this channel! Used to think their standard definition feed was great quality, then I upgraded to HD and was blown away. Since I live in Michigan I'm glad I'll be able to continue getting this on Top 100 Plus. I had to upgrade from Top 100 but it was the best $5 a month I've ever spent since I also get more Cubs games on CSN Chicago.

I see that this channel is 10 cents a month for those outside the Big Ten states. Looks like they could throw the AEP a bone and let us keep it as a perk.

Word has it that this channel is still being made available in the HD only package. Not sure if that's only in the 8 state territory or everywhere.

The BTN is available now in America's Top 100 Plus. If you have AT100 you'll need to upgrade.

Why is Philly excluded?
I don't know but, this quote from flyingsquirrel over in the Retailer Chat Recap thread seems plausible, and better than any guess that I would come up with...
As to the Big Ten network in Philadelphia:

It has been reported in the papers in the midwest and I know this from a confidant at a Big Ten University that Comcast and the Big Ten are about to come to terms on Big Ten Network carriage.

The compromise is that Comcast has to include the BTN in extended basic package everywhere in "Big Ten Country".

HOWEVER, Philadephia DMA is SPECIFICALLY EXCLUDED. So Comcast Philly does not have to carry BTN, except in a sports tier (more money).

When Dish and Directv signed with BTN they both received Most-Favored-Nation Protection. Meaning that they benefit from any concessions negotiated by other carriers.

Hence, Dish can exclude metro philly from "Big Ten Country" and make it an RSN. The rest of Penn. is still in Big Ten Country, and will continue to get it in AT 200 or whatever.

It remains the highest HD PQ available for sports!
I think I might move north to Harrisburg... Does anyone know if they have their locals in HD yet?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)