Big bonus on hard drive

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
So, Don - will you post that HDD info from your BIOS screen ?

Not sure I understand the point of your question, but the drive is as shown in the screen cap (just for you) and the drive label is a little sticker on the bottom
that has model # WD5000H1B00 in microtype plus barcode and S/N

Attachments

• smithprequest.jpg
    smithprequest.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 156
I was only surprised because the carton was stating 320 in the print and the price was accordingly. The surprise was when I plugged it in and saw the larger capacity, first on PnP and later again when I reformatted to NTFS. It was the only one on the shelf and it was in an Orange box, not a green and black one like the other My Book drives. I'm using it as a sneaker net drive between my two edit suites. It is on it's second round of work where I fill it out and then dump it to archive (internal formfactor) drives for storage.

Semi-relevent side question: Is there an advantage to reformatting it to NTFS ?

I have a WD My Book 250GB that also came as Fat 32 and I left it that way (probably because I don't know any better).

The reason why hard drives are sold as FAT32 is because of the MAC OS. FAT 32 is recognized by both Macs and PC's having the widest plug n play compatibility. I keep one drive here FAT 32 so I can plug it in and access the media files on both the PC and the MAC.

Don had a thread about this earlier: The Mac OSX will read NTFS out-of-the-box, but not write to it. Leaving the drive FAT32 allows PC and Mac machines to interchange files between systems. The big issue is with large files (AV captures/projects) that exceed the 4GB single file limit for FAT32.

Gigabit Ethernet and mapping a R/W share to the PC from the Mac should take care of that, but it's off-topic... ;)

I don't know if Don can check the original packaging for the Part & S/N vs. what is on the drive itself. At this point, it's more to satisfy our morbid curiosities more than anything else...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)