big dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
I know there are some rather large dogs out there and even though most in this slide show are large breeds it should be kept in mind that there are two things at play here.

(1) The size of the person in relation to the dog is one key part here, a woman thats 4'10" will really make the dog look like godzilla as compared to a woman thats 5'8".

(2) There is a trick of photography going on in some of the pics wether intentional or not and I cant remember what its called at the moment but it has to do with a simple trick of the eye by placing subject A ( the dog ) closer to the camera but at an angle to subject B ( the woman ) so as to make it apear that they are side by side when infact they are in staggered position much like a wing formation. The effect makes the dog in the last photo look like its truely a monster when in fact its most likely 5 - 7 feet away from the woman.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/815525/really_big_dogs/

Still all in all its a neat trick and can easily fool most people, show it to your kids or significant other and say that your getting one of these dogs.:eek:

Hahaha, I had considered a dog and really the only reasons I would get one is that my daughter has been talking about it and cats dont make good play partners for kids but also for protection. Irish wolfhounds are prone to hip problems and arthritis but they are great as security specialy when they tend to tower over average people and have a somewhat haunting look to them specialy during dusk and early dawn. There is a breed that I have known of for some time now that is a very massive one thats more on the stocky muscle bound side, I saw it first in American Survival magazine about 9 years ago. The official name I believe is called filas brasilio and there is a single breeder in Washington state near Seattle. The dog that played Hooch in Turner and Hooch is of a similiar breed but is much smaller in height and weight as compared to the actual breed. One of the photos I saw in the article shows the breeder hugging the sire and his head is twice the size of hers. The dogs are supposedly highly protective of the home they live in and the family they live with even as early as puppy years. I havent come across any further info and have since lost the magazine but it would definitely be a dog that I would get for protection though I dont think I could aford to feed it. :p

I can only think of the Bull Mastiff which is a huge dog fitting a lot of that description. It's not just the feeding. Everything costs more for a larger dog. My dog is not huge but she weighs a lot for a med dog (66 lbs). When she rolled over the 50 lb mark all of her medicines got more expensive too. I wouldnt want to see what they charge for heartworm meds for a 150-200 lb dog!!

I have 3 dogs. 1 small (boston terrier), 1 medium (border collie), and 1 x-large (great dane). Everything IS more expensive, food, crates, bedding, shots.... The vet does everything in weight class, and she is 155-160 lbs. I don't need trick photography to make her look huge, she really is!

I have 3 dogs. 1 small (boston terrier), 1 medium (border collie), and 1 x-large (great dane). Everything IS more expensive, food, crates, bedding, shots.... The vet does everything in weight class, and she is 155-160 lbs. I don't need trick photography to make her look huge, she really is!

But I bet she is the sweetest of the three! and the Boston is probably the boss of the house. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)