Big Outernet Announcement Coming

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
The mobile service is not yet operational, but will be well before we start shipping the product. We won't be using GlobalStar. Iridium and Inmarsat are better suited for us.

Reactions: wallyhts
Even with the slow baud rate, shortwave radio is a great mode to have, often small files like weather reports etc can be rather advantageous in areas up north where there is poor satellite coverage (sat phone and/or Ku broadcast), and of course no cell coverage. Just curious what bands/frequencies you would be using in the shortwave spectrum?

Iridium and Inmarsat are better suited for us.

Inmarsat is much faster then Iridium I think if i remember Inmarsat can do 64kbit vs 2.4kbit for Iridium.

Posting and sharing is just as important as supporting our work. Thanks for your interest. We really want to hit 1/3 of our goal within the first 48 hours of the campaign. The staff at IGG claim that media coverage doesn't start unless that number is hit. So any sharing/posting/tweeting is very much appreciated.
Looks Like you hit it!.....And then some. Congratulations!!! :)

Looks like they will hit $100,000 dollars any minute now.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Reactions: dougruss
Almost 75% of the way there.

Inmarsat is much faster then Iridium I think if i remember Inmarsat can do 64kbit vs 2.4kbit for Iridium.

Yes, you're correct about those numbers, but for the general bi-directional usage, they both have services that are considerably higher rate (DSL speeds). But we'll be using specialized plans, which is outside of the normal stuff you see on the their websites.

Reactions: Titanium
Regarding shortwave: We'll have a an SDR in the device, which will allow reception across the entire HF band--so 3 MHz to 30 MHz. At first we'll be working with the high-power broadcasters--the ones with 100,000 W transmitters--and they typically stay around 10 MHz. Of course that changes a lot depending on the time of day.

We also want to receive data from HAM nodes, but that's more conceptual at this stage. The benefit of an software defined receiver is that we don't need to have all of the transmission mechanisms completely set in stone.

Neat point about HF: We'll be using it as not just our most basic frequency guide, but also the means to delivery firmware updates to the SDR.

I think that is a great idea using SDR. It may cause more people to gain interest in it. Imagine manufacturers of tablets, televisions, laptops/computers and cell phones inserting SDR's into them to receive the Outernet.

I use SDR on my Android tablet and A3 STB. Love the idea of HF data transmissions!

As the hardware is being developed, please consider allowing the DC input to regulate a wide voltage range so the external power could be an additional solar panel, USB or car battery. Allowing simultaneous internal battery charging as well as operation.

Last edited:
Reactions: sgs
I would like to see SDR built into the tablets and smart phones instead of having external hardware requirements like we have now.

It would be cool to have a small device like chromecast to plug into a tv / monitor for SDR/Outernet.

In 2016 we'll have a complete system on a chip. This will be the size of a quarter. The radio and SDR processor is not the problem, though. It's the antenna size. Even a small fractals-based antenna (from Fractus) is still larger than most manufacturers would be willing to deal with. But we're all on the same page: The end goal is to have a wideband SDR inside of handsets. At the very least make a small dongle like a Square credit card reader.

And yes, you are all Founding Supporters. You've been here for us from the very beginning.

I agree I hope you hit the 1 Million Mark! I try to remember to post several places every day to spread the word. ;)

It would be cool to work out a deal with manufacturers of routers, cell phone companies (similar to what Freedompop does or with Freedompop themselves), receive data from devices like Fonera and Meraki. Maybe work out a deal with some of the cable and DSL/phone/cell companies to receive small packets of data from their routers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.