Big sponsor signs Tiger Woods again...

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
First big sponsor to return to Tiger Woods’ side? Rolex

By Shane Bacon

When infidelity hit Tiger Woods two years ago, sponsors couldn't run away faster from the once endorsement king. He lost Gatorade, Gillette, Tag Heuer, Buick and Accenture, and the only thing we've seen Tiger pushing lately besides Nike is a Japanese pain rub, but that's all changed with the latest announcement that Rolex is back with Tiger after parting ways in 2002, a partnership that started in 1997 when Woods turned professional.

Tiger initially parted ways with the timeless watch company because of the deal he landed from Tag, but he's back, and he isn't alone. Rolex has a handful of huge names in golf under its umbrella, including Phil Mickelson, Luke Donald, Martin Kaymer, Adam Scott, Rickie Fowler, Arnold Palmer and Tom Watson.

It really makes sense for both involved. Rolex now gets basically every big golfer on the planet sporting its timepieces, and Tiger gets as respected a name as there is out there under his wing, which has to be good for his fleeting image.

Also, bravo to both on the announcement time. Tiger is teeing it up this week at the Frys.com Open and will be able to dodge a lot of those questions he hates by talking about this new partnership.

No word yet on where Rolex will be on Tiger (besides, of course, his wrist), but it wouldn't surprise me if it was now plastered directly on his golf bag. Right now, that expensive property belongs to Tigerwoods.com.

First big sponsor to return to Tiger Woods’ side? Rolex - Devil Ball Golf - Golf Blog - Yahoo! Sports

Well, it's nice to see Tiger endoring an elitist product like Rolex but he really needs to land some endorsement contracts the average golfer can identify with...Coke, Ford, Wheaties, etc. Unfortunately, I don't see any lucrative endorsements rolling-in until he starts winning. We shall see.

Well, it's nice to see Tiger endoring an elitist product like Rolex but he really needs to land some endorsement contracts the average golfer can identify with...Coke, Ford, Wheaties, etc. Unfortunately, I don't see any lucrative endorsements rolling-in until he starts winning. We shall see.

You mean these guys are elitist too:

Rolex has a handful of huge names in golf under its umbrella, including Phil Mickelson, Luke Donald, Martin Kaymer, Adam Scott, Rickie Fowler, Arnold Palmer and Tom Watson.
:rolleyes:

I saw this on sportscenter this morning. Kinda surprised.

You mean these guys are elitist too
I don't think that's what he means. Does Phil, Luke, etc, etc have OTHER endorsement deals than just Rolex and "a Japanese pain rub" ?

I always thought the companies would come running back to Tiger in no time, but his playing has obviously kept them at a distance, for now. The first time he wins though, watch out !

I don't think that's what he means. Does Phil, Luke, etc, etc have OTHER endorsement deals than just Rolex and "a Japanese pain rub" ?

I always thought the companies would come running back to Tiger in no time, but his playing has obviously kept them at a distance, for now. The first time he wins though, watch out !

Those are some pretty huge names, but past and present. To me, you are pushing it when you have THAT kind of company for that product. IF it was just Tiger and a few other snobs...hell I would agree with him.

And I agree with you, once he starts winning...he will get all his sponsors back. Hell, he won't even have to win as much as he did before...which we all feel those days are over.

You mean these guys are elitist too:

:rolleyes:

I know they endorse Rolex, but you wouldn't be surprised to see Phil at a McDonalds drive-thru, Arnie riding a John Deere tractor or Rickie Fowler getting a bowl haircut at a Great Clips. ;) I don't expect Tiger will pick-up any major "any man" product endorsements until he starts winning. Of course, he could be bought at a discount right now so who knows.

Hey, I noticed Tigeri is playing the Fry.com Open this week. He is currently +3 and tied for 112th playing his first round. Of course, the Golf Channel is covering his each and every swing...but nobody is going to continue to pay attention to Tiger Woods if he's not winning.

Hey, I noticed Tigeri is playing the Fry.com Open this week. He is currently +3 and tied for 112th playing his first round. Of course, the Golf Channel is covering his each and every swing...but nobody is going to continue to pay attention to Tiger Woods if he's not winning.

Eldrick is E through 9 today. Projected cut is +1...

I saw highlights and his issues all day was putting. He was easily putting for atleast 5 or 6 birdies and atleast 3 or 4 pars.

I saw highlights and his issues all day was putting. He was easily putting for atleast 5 or 6 birdies and atleast 3 or 4 pars.

Putting is a mental issue...and Tiger has not resolved his mental issues. Additionally, according to Rocco Mediate the motion of Tiger's golf swing is physically wrong. He said his new swing coach (Sean) knows what's wrong. I would agree with Rocco's assessment after watching Tiger's swing briefly the last two days. And I also agree that two days spent with Rocco would be more valuable than 2-years with his new swing coach. Sean is not helping.

Tiger is -1 and tied for 42nd (7-shots off the lead) after the 2nd round.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)