Big Ten Network

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Sign me up too! :)

You people are good obedient little sheep.
I can't believe you are such suckers.

If you want this channel, then it should be ala carte

grandma and grandpa shouldn't have to pay this extortion $1.10/month when they don't even watch ESPN let alone will they watch BTN.

If Comcast says NO to this channel, it will DIE period. It won't be on DTV or DISH. It will DIE, and hopefully die a painful death.
This is channel is engaging in the typical anti-capitalist business practices that I ruthlessly hate.

and if this channel dies, the BTN will find a better non-extortion business model to put these games on anyways.

Why? Because you don't want it?

I don't watch WE, Hallmark, Oxygen and many others, can we make those a la carte?

grandma and grandpa shouldn't have to pay this extortion $1.10/month when they don't even watch ESPN let alone will they watch BTN.

Then I shouldn't have to pay for grandma and grandpa's channels that I don't watch.

If Comcast says NO to this channel, it will DIE period.

Probably one of the most ridiculous posts I have ever read. How many Big Ten cities is Comcast even available? You do realize BTN has a carriage agreement with ATT, which will have far greater penetration than Comcast in Big Ten states by 2008. I don't even think Comcast is available in Columbus, which will be the most important city in determining success of BTN.

This is great news. I hope the BTN gets all the Big Ten football games and let the major networks and sports packages cover other conferences. The Big Ten has been a dissapointment the past 2-3 years with a losing record in the bowl games. Let the winning conferences get more air time.

You people are good obedient little sheep.
I can't believe you are such suckers.

If Comcast says NO to this channel, it will DIE period. It won't be on DTV or DISH. It will DIE, and hopefully die a painful death.
This is channel is engaging in the typical anti-capitalist business practices that I ruthlessly hate.

Every Grandma and Grandpa I know has minimum cable at best. Please stop crying about this channel being added. It is not going to die! I don't care if it's ala carte but just make it available. It has much more appeal than 95% of the channels in Big Ten country to most of us sports fans.
I don't want the kids channels so should they be ala carte too? Give it a rest!

Probably one of the most ridiculous posts I have ever read. How many Big Ten cities is Comcast even available? You do realize BTN has a carriage agreement with ATT, which will have far greater penetration than Comcast in Big Ten states by 2008. I don't even think Comcast is available in Columbus, which will be the most important city in determining success of BTN.

Comcast covers Chicago. There are tons of Big 10 alum in Chicago.

Columbus is not a comcast market. Columbus is something like 80/20 cable/sat. The providers are TWC in the city, Insight in the burbs and WoW is available to most folks as well. ATT U-VERSE fiber is being put down in parts of the suburbs but the service is not yet available. There has been no local advertising for the service and no buzz at all so far.

Please stop comparing B10 Net to your average kids channel or whatever. How many other channels charge $1.10 per sub? Not many. If they all did your bill would double overnight.

Please stop comparing B10 Net to your average kids channel or whatever. How many other channels charge $1.10 per sub? Not many. If they all did your bill would double overnight.

Posty ... you missed the point. I will compare to whatever I want. Add the 100+ channels I could give a crap about and add them up. What does a RSN charge? 1.10 is nothing to me. Just add the channel ... either to multi-sports pack or to whatever tier is needed.

Posty ... you missed the point. I will compare to whatever I want. Add the 100+ channels I could give a crap about and add them up. What does a RSN charge? 1.10 is nothing to me. Just add the channel ... either to multi-sports pack or to whatever tier is needed.

Agreed! I only watch a "handful" of channels and given the other side of the argument, I shouldn't have to pay for all the channels I don't watch. I definitely would be willing to pay a small charge to be able to access BTN.

Oh I missed the point? Feel free to switch to the provider that will allow you to pick your channels a la carte. That is a whole different discussion and many people think it will never happen. You think you are the first person to want to pay for only the channels you watch?

Oh I missed the point? Feel free to switch to the provider that will allow you to pick your channels a la carte. That is a whole different discussion and many people think it will never happen. You think you are the first person to want to pay for only the channels you watch?

Again Posty you missed the point. Could care less about ala carte. I will pay whatever it costs ... could care less. Just give me what I want and I will pay for it. Maybe you should try rabbit ears if money is an issue!! As far as changing services I will go Direct again if I have to ... but I prefer Dish overall and hope they add to my needs.

Again Posty you missed the point. Could care less about ala carte. I will pay whatever it costs ... could care less. Just give me what I want and I will pay for it. Maybe you should try rabbit ears if money is an issue!! As far as changing services I will go Direct again if I have to ... but I prefer Dish overall and hope they add to my needs.

Why are you commenting on my finances? I already have rabbit ears to get my local HD stations OTA if it's anything to you. Too bad you have the scenario all wrong. It's give me what I want and make everyone pay for it. That's a lot different and demands scrutiny on the part of Dish. I should hope Dish is doing their best to get a fair deal and not get steamrolled by a content provider.

Sporty .... I do understand what your point is .... but it comes down to needs. Many of us are frustrated by Dish not getting what many of us want. AT & T, Direct TV, and some cable companies seem to think the 1.10 is worthwhile. Now it is in our court .... accept that we may not get this channel or switch to Direct TV. I prefer Dish but I and many of my friends will be changing if it is not added to some level at Dish Network.

Comcast has over 24 million subscribers. That is a market that any content provider wants to be in. I think they set the standard for what a lot of smaller providers will carry.

Top 25 MSOs - NCTA.com

It also appears that a lot of the area they cover is in Big Ten States.

Comcast Spotlight : Comcast Spotlight Corporate : Map / Market by State

I am a Dish guy myself and I live in Big Ten country and went to a Big Ten school. But outside of Football season, I doubt I will be watching this channel much. I am on Dish's side for this one. I don't think it has enough appeal to a big enough audience.

To those who'll switch from Dish, if the games they show were worth watching it'd be on a network or Espn2. If there is a huge demand for the game, they're not going to undercut ppv. So yes, if you must see all those Penn and Indiana games ditch the dish, otherwise just grin and bear it.

As aside, I will welcome the new channel when we get it. The one thing I miss about Charter was the three College Sports channels from FSN. There always seemed to be a girl's volleyball match on. And you know, those midwest farmers daughters really make me feel allright because of their big hooters bouncing around. That and the athleticism and postitive reinforcement they give each other with the love taps between every point.

Here's what the channel is, "dedicated to covering both the athletic and academic content of the Big Ten member institutions on a national level." I'm sure Charlie knows what he's doing. Plus, how serious is the Big 1T1en about either that they would consider adding a team in a high population region just to put pressure on those local cable companies to carry the channel for $1.10 a subscriber.

Last edited:
Why? Because you don't want it?

I don't watch WE, Hallmark, Oxygen and many others, can we make those a la carte?

Then I shouldn't have to pay for grandma and grandpa's channels that I don't watch.

I am a MONSTER HUGE SPORTSFAN, especially BIG TEN FOOTBALL. However, the majority of TV viewers wouldn't be willing to pay $1.10/month FOR ALL 12 MONTHS just to see 35 3rd rate football games over 3 months and then 80-100 3rd rate basketball games with dead air following for the remaining 5 months.

This channel wants $1.10/month. All of the channels you mentioned combined don't cost half that.

the majority of TV viewers wouldn't be willing to pay $1.10/month FOR ALL 12 MONTHS just to see 35 3rd rate football games over 3 months and then 80-100 3rd rate basketball games

Given the fact that the $1.10 per subscriber would only be paid within the Big Ten region I would argue that "rates" of each game have nothing to do with it. If Minnesota is playing Iowa and it's considered a "3rd Rate" game I can show you a lot of people living in Minnesota and Iowa who would still like to watch that game.

This channel wants $1.10/month. All of the channels you mentioned combined don't cost half that.

I didn't list all of the channels I don't watch, just a few. If I had, I can assure you that it would total way over $1.10 per month.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)