Big Ten Network

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Quick question... I'm in Maryland and have E*. ABC has regional coverage of some of these games... if ABC elects to pick up my beloved Buckeyes at the 3:30PM spot, but it's only regionally covered in the Midwest, Big 10 Network or not I'm screwed right?

I'm betting that E* will wisen up and pick up BTN by Basketball season, because I am so tickled with the multi-room HD DVR that I can put up with going to a restaurant for a couple of Saturdays during football season. What will cook my goose, however, is if I have to do that on random weeknights to see my Buckeyes play!

Welcome to Sat Guys. Using 2007 College Football TV Schedule it looks to me like the 3:30 ET ABC game that isn't shown in your region will be on ESPN. Such is the case on 10/20 for the OSU/MSU game. The 9/22 Iowa-Wisc game looks like it might appear on GP though.

One solid point I read from Big Ten Network Slapfighting Continues - FanHouse - AOL Sports Blog was that the providers actually lose leverage as basketball season approaches for just that reason.

Thanks for the quick answer. I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed that E* will eventually come to its senses. Had they not had the (in my opinion) better technology DVR, I would have signed with D*.

I have never heard of the ABC no regional game being shown on ESPN. Are you sure about that? ESPN has a set schedule of games, and ABC usually does a regional type game (big10 and big12 or SEC) to selected parts of the country.

edit.. i just looked at the schedule. I think it means the game could be on any of those channels, and its not decided yet, if its ABC then it could very well be a regional broadcast.

I have never heard of the ABC no regional game being shown on ESPN. Are you sure about that? ESPN has a set schedule of games, and ABC usually does a regional type game (big10 and big12 or SEC) to selected parts of the country.

edit.. i just looked at the schedule. I think it means the game could be on any of those channels, and its not decided yet, if its ABC then it could very well be a regional broadcast.

That site uses * to specify the regional status. You can see that *1 and *7 together mean the game will be regional with the alternate game being shown on the other network.

then i think they are totally changing the way they do it (possibly due to B10 Network) I dont recall anything like this happening before...

I would agree that is a change versus how they do it in the past. However it could make sense if they regionalized both ABC and ESPN. Last year they started the big push of "ESPN on ABC", and I think that this might be the fruition of that... the big game gets put on ABC for that region, and then ESPN picks up the rest....

Of course the above is all just conjecture. I have no inside info, but will be curious as to how this plays out.

that coupled with the fact they lost the ability to air another B10 game every week...which would have filled that 2nd regional game.

Quick question... I'm in Maryland and have E*. ABC has regional coverage of some of these games... if ABC elects to pick up my beloved Buckeyes at the 3:30PM spot, but it's only regionally covered in the Midwest, Big 10 Network or not I'm screwed right?

If the game is on ABC, it will not be on BTN, regardless of whether ABC's coverage is regional or national.

No more Big Ten "regional" football on Gameplan!!! Please, don't go out and buy Gameplan if all you want is Big Ten football. It is not on that package. This is from the Gopher website, but it is boilerplate you can find at alot of the Big Ten websites:

In addition to the formation of the Big Ten Network, the new ABC/ESPN conference TV contract will place more basketball games on ESPN throughout the season and will also result in more viewers being able to watch national football games on ABC/ESPN (as opposed to "regional" games in the past).

Please notice the last part of the sentence--ABC and ESPN will now be switching off regional games. In the Big Ten region, you will see the Big Ten game on ABC and another (non-Big Ten) game on ESPN. Outside of the Big Ten region, you will see another (non Big Ten) game on ABC and the Big Ten game on ESPN (or 2). Never, never, never on Gameplan--this is part of the new deal the BT carved out with ABC/ESPN.

Last edited:

Back in the day, Gameplan would show the regional ABC broadcasts that weren't in your region. But if I read between the lines, even if the heavens were to part and the Big 10 Network settled right into my E* package, I think I'm still screwed here if I don't pick up Gameplan... right???

I'm betting that E* will wisen up and pick up BTN by Basketball season, because I am so tickled with the multi-room HD DVR that I can put up with going to a restaurant for a couple of Saturdays during football season. What will cook my goose, however, is if I have to do that on random weeknights to see my Buckeyes play!

Why would you be scewed?. If ABC [picks up[ the game ,you'll get it if your region does. Best advice, just do as you normally would and buy the Gameplan..No worries. You're in ACC country ..How many Big 10 games do you get each season?..few I bet..Same here in NC.....BTN is not going to get any game that means anything...The networks and ESPN have all the rights to those games..
E* will not pick up BTN as long as BTN wants to be classified as a national network. IMO and in the opinion of the people at E*, BTN is an RSN.. According to press release others and myself posted here, BTN wants to be a national network and wants $1.10 per sub...BTN mgmnt thinks all E* subs should pay the freight so a very few can watch Ohio State beat the crap out of U. Of Buffalo or some other sacrificial lamb...No thanks..My thinking is if Big 10 fans want these games, let them pay for them..The rest of us should not be forced to subsidize this service.

Why would you be scewed?. If ABC [picks up[ the game ,you'll get it if your region does. Best advice, just do as you normally would and buy the Gameplan..No worries. You're in ACC country ..How many Big 10 games do you get each season?..few I bet..Same here in NC.....BTN is not going to get any game that means anything...The networks and ESPN have all the rights to those games..
E* will not pick up BTN as long as BTN wants to be classified as a national network. IMO and in the opinion of the people at E*, BTN is an RSN.. According to press release others and myself posted here, BTN wants to be a national network and wants $1.10 per sub...BTN mgmnt thinks all E* subs should pay the freight so a very few can watch Ohio State beat the crap out of U. Of Buffalo or some other sacrificial lamb...No thanks..My thinking is if Big 10 fans want these games, let them pay for them..The rest of us should not be forced to subsidize this service.

Let's see .10 for dishcomm! You must be pretty bad off to not afford a whole dime. I hardly think YOU are subsidizing anything!

dishcomm

Your post is filled with so many inaccuracies I don't know where to begin.

For starters:

1) The $1.10 per sub is the ''sticker price'' for the channel according to the BTN. By all accounts the actual number is much lower.

2) While the BTN will carry cream puff non-conference games (just like ESPN and ABC will) it will ALSO carry conference games. The providers want us to believe the BTN will only have sub par games. Not true.

3) The price is structured so that viewers located outside of the big ten footprint ($0.10) are NOT subsidizing those within it.

If you don't want the Big Ten Network that's fine and you're more than welcome to express that but please don't come into the thread posting half truths and inaccuracies.

Let's see .10 for dishcomm! You must be pretty bad off to not afford a whole dime. I hardly think YOU are subsidizing anything!
That's a buck- ten..And I don't care if it's a penny.This is based upon principle...It's not my concern if others wish to view BTN.It's a regional net..Pay for it yourself....

dishcomm

For starters:

1) The $1.10 per sub is the ''sticker price'' for the channel according to the BTN. By all accounts the actual number is much lower.

2) While the BTN will carry cream puff non-conference games (just like ESPN and ABC will) it will ALSO carry conference games. The providers want us to believe the BTN will only have sub par games. Not true.

3) The price is structured so that viewers located outside of the big ten footprint ($0.10) are NOT subsidizing those within it.

If you don't want the Big Ten Network that's fine and you're more than welcome to express that but please don't come into the thread posting half truths and inaccuracies.
Really?..Prove it..I posted the E* news release right on this board....BTN wants $1.10 per subscriber....Where did you get $0.10 from?
ENGLEWOOD, Colo., Aug 23, 2007 (PrimeNewswire via COMTEX News Network) --

EchoStar Communications Corporation (Nasdaq:DISH) and its DISH Network(r) satellite TV service today announced the latest Big Ten college football broadcast schedules are now available at DISH Network, which will be updated regularly. DISH Network will carry almost all of the Big Ten and other NCAA conference football and basketball games currently scheduled on CSTV, CBS and NBC, as well as ABC, ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU.

There are a few Big Ten non-conference games (e.g. Citadel vs. Wisconsin) that air on the Big Ten Network (BTN). For several months, DISH Network has been diligently negotiating with BTN to obtain a carriage agreement consistent with other regional sports networks, but BTN wants unreasonable and inconsistent payments from all of our customers regardless of whether or not they are Big Ten fans. The good news is that DISH Network customers who are Big Ten fans will get most of their games with the current channels available on DISH Network.

DISH Network realizes how important these games are to our customers (we're fans too!), and will continue to work to provide the best in college and all sports, at the best value anywhere. In the meantime, we are keeping the door open in the hopes we can conclude a reasonable deal with BTN.

here's more.......On the one-year anniversary of the day he announced the formation of the Big Ten Network, Big Ten commissioner Jim Delaney expressed his displeasure Thursday with Comcast Cable, saying the company not only made public the details of their contentious negotiations to make BTN a part of basic cable packages nationwide, but also disparaged college athletes in the process.
The Philadelphia-based media giant and the conference have been at odds over the per-subscriber cost of making the new network available nationwide, and in a recent news release, Comcast questioned the overall value of the sporting events BTN promised to provide, calling them “second- and third-tier events” and saying: “Indiana basketball fans don’t want to watch Iowa volleyball, but the Big Ten wants everyone to pay for their new neBTN is scheduled to debut in August, with Delaney promising coverage of between 380 and 400 live sporting events in its first year. But Comcast so far has refused to entertain the Big Ten’s request for a $1.10 per-subscriber fee to carry the network on basic cable packages in states where Big Ten schools are located and a 10 cents per-subscriber fee to put the network on basic digital cable everywhere else. While the Big Ten says the cost, on average, comes to about 30 cents per subscriber nationwide, Comcast said the $1.10 fee ranks second in cost in national network history. Only ESPN, at more than $3 per subscriber, ranks higher. Other national networks, like TNT, USA and even the NFL Network, are considerably less expensive.

So where'd the dollar go?..Into the sky?....Ya gotta get up awful early there pal..

dishcomm

For starters:

Spin this all you like....This is priciple. Here's how much I am willing to pay:..ZERO.....

Ok, I think you're getting mixed up. The $1.10 was the initial ''sticker price'' the BTN was asking for subscriber WITHIN THE BIG TEN FOOTPRINT. That number has come down considerably since then as negotiations have progressed. The $0.10 is what the BTN is asking for per sub OUTSIDE OF THE BIG TEN FOOTPRINT.

I have no problem with you not wanting to pay one cent for the BTN. I do have a problem with the misinformation you posted.

I have no problem with you not wanting to pay one cent for the BTN. I do have a problem with the misinformation you posted.
It's not misinformation until I see documentation to that effect..The issue isn't the amount..so stop arguing that point....It's your channel. you pay for it..Don't ask the rest of us to help you out....

The fact is, until we go to an a la carte TV model, this type of zaniness will continue. I never watch the Women's Entertainment Network... why should I pay for that???

I'm hoping that the price ends up getting negotiated to be the same price as an ESPN2, ESPNU, or CSTV costs. The Big Ten Network would probably have about the same appeal as these "second tier" sports packages. You could almost think of them as ESPN3, ESPN4, ESP5 and ESPN6 (if you count the overflow channels).

It's not the Big 10's fault this is how TV is done...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts