Big Ten Network

Status
Please reply by conversation.
What do you guys think the chances are of E* doing the right thing, if indeed they do not come to terms with the Big Ten will they make a formal announcement so subscribers can make a decision based on that imformation, or will they milk us along with hear-say and rumors.
I guess we'll find out how ethical of company they are soon enough.
A lot of people think that E* will just loose a small number of subs. if they don't sign on the BTN but if any are like me they will loose my sub but also I have all ways signed up for Gameplan and Full court. These are all money makers for E*. I have to think it a fair amount of money.

Last edited:
Here's some inside info, obtained from a source who sat in on a conference call between the BTN and several B10 athletic departments this morning.

The BTN is very close to signing contracts with both Time-Warner and Charter Cable. Probably won't happen before the first games, but a good chance of it happening within 3-4 weeks. Dish was not mentioned, or at least he couldn't recall Dish being mentioned.

Likewise for several smaller cable companies scattered throughout the B10 region.

The BTN assured the universities that they would come very close to meeting revenue projections for the first year of operation, projections which expected some major providers to not sign in the first year.

He said the B10 officials were satisfied with how things were going, but would like to see the BTN nail down a few more contracts.

Here's some inside info, obtained from a source who sat in on a conference call between the BTN and several B10 athletic departments this morning.

The BTN is very close to signing contracts with both Time-Warner and Charter Cable. Probably won't happen before the first games, but a good chance of it happening within 3-4 weeks. Dish was not mentioned, or at least he couldn't recall Dish being mentioned.

Likewise for several smaller cable companies scattered throughout the B10 region.

The BTN assured the universities that they would come very close to meeting revenue projections for the first year of operation, projections which expected some major providers to not sign in the first year.

He said the B10 officials were satisfied with how things were going, but would like to see the BTN nail down a few more contracts.

Tom I was thinking as mentioned from reading your post, I believe the outcome with BTN will be a lot like the resolve made in the MBL-EI matter this past spring. The cable people will get on board but DISH will pass. I hope for the E* subs who are sports enthusiasts that is not going to be the case. But for all “ of us” veteran satellite tv customers we all know what type of track record E* has when it comes to adding new channels, let alone sports programming to their lineup. So by months end, I`d say some of the larger cable co.`s will be on board with BTN and E* will not.

Not discounting your source, but how many times has someone said "they're close" to making a deal and nothing comes of it ??

Not discounting your source, but how many times has someone said "they're close" to making a deal and nothing comes of it ??

Exactly. It's all a game. Sounds like a scare tactic to get Comcast and E* on board.

Found this article this morning. According to this article, DISH is having "constructive talks" with the B10 Network. Comcast is listed as very grim.

The Columbus Dispatch : OSU fans must race clock to get satellite TV

As Hall mentioned above, we have seen the talks between E* and BTN depicted as "constructive" for weeks now. Who knows where the truth lies? However, it does sound like (from that article) that people switching to D* is happening, in a football crazed city like Columbus anyway. Of course, the "perception is everything" wars are continuing, with the cable spokemen saying they aren't seeing people switch. With all of the PR propaganda flying around right now, trust the independent contractor's words most (e.g., hiring another worker)!

I don't know why, but something about that article just strikes me as a paid advertisement.... I wonder if B10N execs helped him write over an expensive dinner or something ?? :)

Did anyone followup on this comment,
“Right now, we're running from 6 in the morning until 10 at night,” said Jeff Shifferly, president of Clear Sky Communications, a satellite installer. “We're usually always busy this time of year, but certainly this year we have more of a bump from the Big Ten Network.”
?? Clear Sky is a DISH retailer !

I don't know why, but something about that article just strikes me as a paid advertisement.... I wonder if B10N execs helped him write over an expensive dinner or something ?? :)

Did anyone followup on this comment, ?? Clear Sky is a DISH retailer !
I got the same "smell". Only article I've read so far that forgot to mention the Fox/BTN/Direct TV connection.

Clear Sky is an Ohio Dish Retailer.

Did anyone followup on this comment, ?? Clear Sky is a DISH retailer !

Hilarious! Great catch Hall! I think this is a microcosm of the little amount of good information we have about what is happening here. Only genuine comment I have read recently was from Silverman (or another BTN PR guy) who said they were caught off guard by how public the negotiations have been. Now that I do believe!

I got the same "smell". Only article I've read so far that forgot to mention the Fox/BTN/Direct TV connection.

Clear Sky is an Ohio Dish Retailer.

It did mention the connection, but that retailer bit, thats an UGLY error/problem if in fact Clear Sky is in fact a Dish retailer.

Companies invest big $$ all the time on ventures that don't pan out.

BTW: did you catch that thrilling Twins game on Victory sports last night :) ?

Yes, if there was no such thing as bad investments that failed, there would be no capitalism.

Ohio State's football program could probably float the Big 10 Network for a few years themselves.... They already fund the entire athletic department and carry a profit year after year. I'd guess a number of other programs, i.e. Michigan, for example, is in a similar situation.

Then great, BTN will be free to all cable/dbs providers just like home shopping channels are. Thanks Michigan and OSU alumni, problem solved.

It would appear from their website that they are in fact an E* retailer.

I just called Clear Sky out of curiosity,and they in fact do BOTH E* and D* installs.

Clear Sky Communications
771 Dearborn Park Ln Ste C
Columbus, OH 43085-5720
Phone: (614) 885-3474

Found this article this morning. According to this article, DISH is having "constructive talks" with the B10 Network. Comcast is listed as very grim.

The Columbus Dispatch : OSU fans must race clock to get satellite TV

Sorry, but that doesn't even pass the smell test of believability. There is FAR FAR FAR LESS than a 0% chance that E* will agree to carry BTN before Comcast. They have no reason to. E* wants BTN to DIE A CRUEL AND COLD DEATH, as DO I! Comcast holds all the cards here and if they don't sign, E* will NEVER pay more $.10/month for BTN.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)