Biggest EHD for a 211k?

Hindu55 said:
I have three (Western Digital Elements 1TB USB 2.0) on my 211, 211k and an FTA reciever. They work great!

How do you add additional hard drives? I have a 622. I seem to recall only one USB port on the backside and one on the front. Are there additional fees to add more hard drives?

thx

The EHD I have for my 922 is a Western Digital 2TB. I bought it on NewEgg for about $80. I bought the EHD that 3haloODST recommended for my 211k. The one I have for my 922 is very similar.

I should be getting my EHD in the mail tomorrow or Wednesday. When I get it do I connect it to my 211k and then have Dish activate the DVR feature or talk to Dish first? I was planning on just using the online chat to do it also.

If the 211k doesnt have it activated yet once once the drive arrives (heck you can do it now actually) PM a DIRT member. They can activate the feature. You'll see a popup "DVR function activated" or something like that on the screen. Then when the drive arrives, plug it in. It will read the drive and force a receiver reboot to format it. Reciever reboots and formats the drive...voila you now have a 211k with EHD on it :)
(if you unhook or plug in a drive the receiver has to do a reboot)

Since its a one time $40 activation if you do it today, tomorrow or next week its still $40. :)

Awesome. It may get unhooked a few times this fall because I'll be bringing the receiver with me to football games.

yep it still will work fine. When you unplug it, the receiver reboots. When you hook it back up at home I would hook the drive up 1st then plug in the reciever then its only one "reboot" (instead of 2) ;)
Also you can swap drives on the 211k with no issues (if you have a drive full)

The EHD I have for my 922 is a Western Digital 2TB. I bought it on NewEgg for about $80. I bought the EHD that 3haloODST recommended for my 211k. The one I have for my 922 is very similar.

I should be getting my EHD in the mail tomorrow or Wednesday. When I get it do I connect it to my 211k and then have Dish activate the DVR feature or talk to Dish first? I was planning on just using the online chat to do it also.

With the 722/722k/922 we don't have to activate the EHD feature. For the 211/211k we would need to activate the feature and it requires a one time $40 activation that gets applied to the account. If you haven't had it activated yet feel free to PM me or one of the other DIRT members with your account number, and security pin and we can get that taken care of.

Got the EHD home and hooked it up. Worked like a charm. I now have DVR in the basement and when tailgating if I decide to bring it. The $40 was just added to my monthly bill.

On the 211 press Menu - 9 - 2 to disconnect the EHD, don't just unplug it, it may corrupt the OS on the drive and make it reformat when you try to reconnect.

When they first introduced the EHD on 211, there was no support and I learned the hard way that just unplugging the drive or just disconnecting the USB can really screw with the OS, because the 211 is constantly buffering data to the drive, it needs to be disconnected correctly to ensure success.

Initially there was no option aas mentioned above, You hav to shut doen the 211k (unplug it) before you could safely remove the EHD.

The first one I disconnected I had to reformat it on my PC then have the 211 reformat it before it would work on the 211 again - really messed up the OS on the drive.