Biggest EHD for a 211k?

Scherrman

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 14, 2008
Eastern Iowa
Just added a 211k to my account today for my Tailgater. When I'm not using it for tailgating I plan on putting it in the basement. I would like for it to be a DVR. Whats the biggest EHD I can use? I have a 2TB EHD for my 922. Could I use another one for the 211k? I know I can't use the 922 EHD for the 211k because it will reformat it.

I have read that the 211/K's have been recently updated to support 2TB drives. I could be mistaken but hopefully one of the DIRT members can confirm/deny this.

EDIT: lol speaking of DIRT... :D Speedy beat me to it.

I just want to make sure I get an EHD that will work. I don't think I would want to put up with a receiver that doesn't have DVR functions. I may even use it when tailgating.

That looks exactly like what I need. Gonna order one now. I have a WD 2TB EHD for my 922 now and it works great.

I had read once that larger than 1tb drives were working for some guys, even though the stated limit was 1tb. So I tried a 2tb drive for my self. Not only did the 211k not format it as a 2tb drive (this part was not a surprise), but it wouldn't even format it as a 1tb drive (this part was a little surprising).

I never tried a 1.5tb drive. But it definitely didn't work on the 2tb I tried. So I'm not real sure why some were posting that larger than 1tb would work.

Cheers

I'm curious even WHY there's a limit. I can understand a restriction with an external drive that's in fact multiple HDDs that are made to appear as one drive, but when it's one, single drive, I am confused. The limitation certainly shouldn't be in the underlying OS. If it has to partition and format the drive, simply make the first partition the 'system' (I presume it has a small partition for housekeeping info) and for data storage, just use the rest.

Hall said:
I'm curious even WHY there's a limit. I can understand a restriction with an external drive that's in fact multiple HDDs that are made to appear as one drive, but when it's one, single drive, I am confused. The limitation certainly shouldn't be in the underlying OS. If it has to partition and format the drive, simply make the first partition the 'system' (I presume it has a small partition for housekeeping info) and for data storage, just use the rest.

Well these DVRs have some sort of embedded linux OS I'm guessing. Depending on block size 2tb might be the limit for drive size. We hit the 2tb limit for drive sizes in windows frequently. Only way around it is an alternate partition type in windows. Linux could change block size or go to ext4 file system.

Just added a 211k to my account today for my Tailgater. When I'm not using it for tailgating I plan on putting it in the basement. I would like for it to be a DVR. Whats the biggest EHD I can use? I have a 2TB EHD for my 922. Could I use another one for the 211k? I know I can't use the 922 EHD for the 211k because it will reformat it.

What Brand/Model is the 2 TB for the 922?

I believe Dish already uses ext3 and if so, Dish is using 1KB blocks, which would equate to 2gb max. I think -- it's been a number of years since I used Linux full-time -- that ext3 and ext2 only differ in that ext3 adds journaling.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts