Biggest one-hit wonders in sports

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
Sometimes, there are teams that have one great season, but don't do much before or after.

Can you recall any examples?

I've got two:

1. 2006 Edmonton Oilers- in the first year after the lockout, they made it all the way to the Stanley Cup Finals #8 seed- they hadn't won a playoff series since 1998 before that, and haven't even made the playoffs since. If they still struggle to make the playoffs or remain unable to make good playoff runs, I will consider this Oilers a one-hit wonder.

2. 2007 Golden State Warriors- They got their 15 minutes of fame by beating Dallas- they don't seem like they're going to get back to that level for a while (They don't have Baron Davis anymore, and I can't see Corey Maggette as their #1 go-to guy/emotional leader).

On January 31, 1988, in San Diego, California, Doug Williams of the Washington Redskins becomes the first African-American quarterback to play in a Super Bowl, scoring four of Washington’s five touchdowns in an upset 42-10 victory over the Denver Broncos in Super Bowl XXII. That was about it.​

The '85 Bears. 15-1, blew out New England in the Super Bowl 34-10.
The Bears were no one hit wonder. First they beat NE 46-10, and they were good for several years. The Bears just never got back the SB but they dominated their division for 5-6 years.

The Bears were no one hit wonder. First they beat NE 46-10, and they were good for several years. The Bears just never got back the SB but they dominated their division for 5-6 years.

That's right, it was 46, not 34. Sorry, it's been almost 25 years.
I interpreted the thread title (one-hit wonders) to mean only one championship over a *very* long stretch, like the Bears (or the Cubs, for that matter).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts