The national pastime's shocking death toll

No. I even watch over a thousand games a season and have never seen anyone die or get severally injured from a foul ball.

I was at the game when a young boy was hit in the face by a Jim Rice line drive. :eek: Thank God the young man survived.

7f8bde2e50_rice_01202009.jpg

Jim Rice rushed badly injured Johnny Keane to the ambulance after he was struck in the head and bloddied by a foul ball at a April 1 ,1983 game.

If you watch on TV you would never know if somebody was severally injured from a foul ball.
You see pretty much every ball that goes into the stands. The rare time someone is hit, they do show it. Usually they are not hit that badly.

Whadya want? Nets like they have in hockey? C'mon...at the game PAY ATTENTION!

Who do you work for? TMZ???:rolleyes:

i don't want anything. i thought some might find the article a little interesting :(
by the way I really hate that TMZ garbage or anything similar to it.

i don't want anything. i thought some might find the article a little interesting :(
Sorry. I was just answering your question as to whether I have ever experienced anything like this. I did find it interesting. I had no idea something like this was all that common.

Sorry. I was just answering your question as to whether I have ever experienced anything like this. I did find it interesting. I had no idea something like this was all that common.
no need to apologize. i asked it because i read things in this article that i've never heard before so i wanted to know what you guys thought. :)

I was at the game when a young boy was hit in the face by a Jim Rice line drive. :eek: Thank God the young man survived.

7f8bde2e50_rice_01202009.jpg

Jim Rice rushed badly injured Johnny Keane to the ambulance after he was struck in the head and bloddied by a foul ball at a April 1 ,1983 game.

Where was the stadium Emergency team at ?
It's nice that Rice went to help, but wouldn't you think they would have those qualified to help out before the player could get there ?

Lightning and heart attacks aren't confined to the ballpark. As for people killed by batted, or thrown balls, broken bats and the like, yeah it happens but it is probably far less likely than this article implies. In the major leagues, only two ballplayers have died during a game. One was Ray Chapman, an Indians shortstop who was hit in the head by a pitch thrown by the Yankees Carl Mays. Athletics catcher Doc Powers died after crashing into a wall while chasing down a foul ball. There was a minor league coach killed by a batted ball two years ago. That's the reason first and third base coaches now wear batting helmets.
It is probably a lot safer to watch a game than to drive to that game.

I thought it was interesting also Rey.....I was suprised by it, and at no time thought you wanted something in return....:p

You see pretty much every ball that goes into the stands. The rare time someone is hit, they do show it. Usually they are not hit that badly.

The stats I have seen (not sure how true they are) show that the average baseball stadiumeam has 35 to 50 injuries per year from balls going into the stands.

Now the odds of someone is killed is very low. There have only been 5 deaths in professional baseball history.

The stats I have seen (not sure how true they are) show that the average baseball stadiumeam has 35 to 50 injuries per year from balls going into the stands.

Now the odds of someone is killed is very low. There have only been 5 deaths in professional baseball history.

That's what offends me as a baseball fan by the very title of this thread. Sensationalism. Tabloid titling at it's very best/worst.

Fan of the NBA? Why or Why Not?

Biggest one-hit wonders in sports

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts