Bill Problem, DirecTV rep tells me there was a "glitch" on everyones bills that were dated 12/26?, C

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Rlanham

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 22, 2004
I have been a DirecTV (new sub) since September. My bill went from $64.98 to $151.22 !!
Of course the "glitch" is never in the customers favor.

They charged me the $45 for the free HBO/Sho that I still have coming until 1/26/11 and they left off my $31 in credits and my $10 HD access credit.

Rep came back on the phone and said I have a Credit balance of $86.00.. I am on autopay, I said why can't I get the
credit immediately put back on my credit card. He said their system does not work that way, that the credit would be deducted
from my february charges.. Huh?, so I pay Directv $151.22 when I owe $64.98 and they essentially don't get my $86 until march when
I have accrued enough charges to use up the credit.

Wow, unbelievable...

Also rep told me the could not cancel the free NFL ticket I am getting (so I don't get billed next year) until after 1/4/12. He said their system will not allow it till then. Seems like another scam to charge me for next years NFL ticket and I understand if they do, you won't get a credit?

I have been happier with directv programming and hardware than Dish, but these so called glitches have me wondering.

Come on man !

Unfortunately, billing errors do occur. As to the ST billing, once the season starts, you can't cancel it until the end of the season.

I have been a DirecTV (new sub) since September. My bill went from $64.98 to $151.22 !!
Of course the "glitch" is never in the customers favor.

They charged me the $45 for the free HBO/Sho that I still have coming until 1/26/11 and they left off my $31 in credits and my $10 HD access credit.

Rep came back on the phone and said I have a Credit balance of $86.00.. I am on autopay, I said why can't I get the
credit immediately put back on my credit card. He said their system does not work that way, that the credit would be deducted
from my february charges.. Huh?, so I pay Directv $151.22 when I owe $64.98 and they essentially don't get my $86 until march when
I have accrued enough charges to use up the credit.

Wow, unbelievable...

Also rep told me the could not cancel the free NFL ticket I am getting (so I don't get billed next year) until after 1/4/12. He said their system will not allow it till then. Seems like another scam to charge me for next years NFL ticket and I understand if they do, you won't get a credit?

I have been happier with directv programming and hardware than Dish, but these so called glitches have me wondering.

Come on man !

The Sunday Ticket part is not a scam. You can cancel until the first weekend of games in Sept 2012. Just call back on Jan 5th and cancel it....it's not a big deal to cancel and you will get your money back if you are charged anything (which you won't be until July) if you cancel prior to the first game of the season.

My comment was more "tongue in cheek" rather than anger since it sort of got taken care of except for not keeping my money for 2 months, but how could EVERYONE's 12/26/12 bill be affected?, (reps words not mine) and only to DirecTV's benefit?

Just checked my online statement & all of my credits except for "Free HD For Life" were OK. I called in and "James" said that the promotion had expired. I had to explain that 1) I am still alive 2) I haven't changed my programming package. He put me on hold for 5 minutes, just to explain again that the promotion had expired. After being on hold for another 15-20 minutes, he came back and said that their credit/adjustment system is having problems and I should expect an additional credit on my January statement. We shall see. Word of advice: Check and Double Check your statements!

My bill was 12/25 or 12/26 and was missing credits too, one call and they credited the account and it will come off next months bill.

Like you had, they don't have a way (easy anyway) to credit it back, they just take it off the next bill.

My account shows a $15 credit, which I assume is for the three months of my anniversary gift.
I had complained about the original gift because it wasn't something that had any use for me.\
So, they caught mine as well without having to call.

Rlanham, IMO that's not right about their screw up and dinging you for the extra $86 on your cc autopay. Here's my take: OK Direct, I understand it's a mistake but you should either be able to: a) issue a credit to my card immediately (I don't care if "your system" isn't set up to do this, it's your screw up, not mine. That's your problem to fix, I shouldn't have to pay in advance for your screw up (cause of course you'll get hit with a finance charge if you don't pay your bill in full); or b) give me a $10 credit for my trouble; again it's your screw up, not mine.

I understand about not being able to cancel the ST until after 1/14, just make yourself a note to do this.

Now if you'll excuse me, lemme go check my bill (I'm on cc autopay also) and make sure it's ok!

My account shows a $15 credit, which I assume is for the three months of my anniversary gift.
I had complained about the original gift because it wasn't something that had any use for me.\
So, they caught mine as well without having to call.

I've often thought that the anniversary gift to be useless as well.
I know they want you to see something different from what you currently have, but a much nicer Loyalty anniversary gift would be to pay for that months bill (not gonna happen of course) or to cover a part of your bill that you already have.

Ok here is what happened. Something must of goofed up in the bi weekly Rio maintenance, Rio is the billing program/programming tool that I cursed at for so many of years. It goofs people dont get there credits and then wham bam thank you mam'e it shows up on the next months bill. Typical Directv policy on Rio screwups.

It is an unfair business practice that the FCC/Congress should investigate. The issue is encouraging "autopay" so a person can't adjust the money they send in for the next bill during a dispute. Verizon backed down on their $2 autopay fee. Where would that leave Direct on their $10 autopay discount if Congress/FCC investigated? I might actually write my congressman on this. My bill was overcharged the $31 rebate and the HBO free promo for a total of $76 I have overpaid on my CC this month. I applied for the rebates before activation.

Yep, and considering that with CC Autopay, they take the money BEFORE the damned bill is even available for you to look at. D* is the only company I've ever seen in 68 years of being on this world that does that. They are essentially being paid BEFORE the bill is actually due and as I said BEFORE you even can see it.

Yeah, I know, you can go up there a day or two before they tag the card to see if the credits are there, but can you get them to actually do anything about BEFORE they take the money? In my experience, nope they can't or more likely won't.

This is my biggest complaint with D* -- all other issues that show up now and then, pale by comparison.

Yep, and considering that with CC Autopay, they take the money BEFORE the damned bill is even available for you to look at. D* is the only company I've ever seen in 68 years of being on this world that does that. They are essentially being paid BEFORE the bill is actually due and as I said BEFORE you even can see it.

Yeah, I know, you can go up there a day or two before they tag the card to see if the credits are there, but can you get them to actually do anything about BEFORE they take the money? In my experience, nope they can't or more likely won't.

This is my biggest complaint with D* -- all other issues that show up now and then, pale by comparison.

I would disagree with that. When I use my credit card on any of my services , internet , cell , Natural gas bill it gets charged before I can see the bill online.

This is only for Credit cards. Debit cards have a 15 day period after the bill is generated before there charged.

I would disagree with that. When I use my credit card on any of my services , internet , cell , Natural gas bill it gets charged before I can see the bill online.

This is only for Credit cards. Debit cards have a 15 day period after the bill is generated before there charged.

You can always go in and see your statement before hand afaik.

You can always go in and see your statement before hand afaik.

Direct does have a 1 day period with credit cards. if your bill cycle is on the 2nd/ then your cc is charged on the 3rd or 17th if you use debit. But my gas bill is generated on the 6th and is autocharged on the 6th so I dont get to see it before hand.

Every bill I have on Autopay with credit card does not charge until the bill due date, and that includes Dish.

With CC autopay, D* is taking the money before the bill is generated for my viewing and way before the actual due date.

In a way, it doesn't matter because even if you could see the bill before they take the money, they won't change it on that billing cycle at all. That is caused by one or more stupid things. Bad software, Bad accountants, lazy accountants, stupid business policy. Take your pick! :)

And unfortunately if I change that, it incurs a $10/month penalty 'cause I lose HD for Life.

When I came back to D*, I knew about that, so it wasn't a surprise. But for a new customer, they don't tell you that you will be charged before the bill is presented and way before it is due. They get to find that out after the fact. Just a poor business policy from my point of view. D* is the only company that I allow to get away with this. Others have tried and didn't like the result.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)