Bill went up after adding free hbo/startz

Apologist

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 25, 2005
Added the free promotion of hbo/starz last month and am on autopay. Last bill they charged me $13 less this bill they charged me $22 more. My bill normally around $108 is now $131. They said because of partial months and added taxes on the hbo/startz promotion??? Their system is really screwed up. Check your bill!

Partial tax charges would not add up to $22.00 more. My last bill went up about the same amount. They had removed me from DVR Advantage, higher charge for HBO,added DHPP, a $5.00 charge for no phone on one receiver (it was connected), then the partial charges. Got them all removed. Sure something similar did not happen to you?

that is the reason i will not enable auto bill pay with them. their customer service sucks to be blunt. last month they over charged me $9.35 and i had to call to get it back now this month when the new bill was posted the credit mysteriously disappeared but i was charged the correct ammount. called last night to get it back and was given the run around about it. contacting them again today

that is the reason i will not enable auto bill pay with them. their customer service sucks to be blunt. last month they over charged me $9.35 and i had to call to get it back now this month when the new bill was posted the credit mysteriously disappeared but i was charged the correct ammount. called last night to get it back and was given the run around about it. contacting them again today

I didn't get the HBO/Starz discount at first, either. Did an online chat, taken care of. To me, auto pay is easier to correct mistakes with, since they post your bill two or three weeks before they charge your credit/debit card. You can stare right at the amount they'll be charging you, not having to go back and forth with a paper trail of bills.

My bill is now all screwed up also after doing the "Free" HBO/Starz deal.:mad: I should have known it went too smoothly. Gonna have to call 'em, NOT my favorite thing to do............GGRRRRRRRRRRRR:rolleyes:

Initially I thought it was due to confusing partial month programming. It ain't.

Ed

Auto pay with DN is a BIG gamble in my opinion. You think you see a strange increased bill due to simple programming changes, you should see some of the outrageous charges on my account due to past equipment modifications, namely when HD was first introduced and DN was offering free OTA antennas.

I saw bills over $500 more than normal for so called 'free' upgrades. It has been my experience these last 12 years with DN that it takes, on average, three months for them to straighten out mistakes on my bill, and perhaps as many as half a dozen phone calls.

You've heard the old saying, 'just smart enough to be dangerous'? That's DN CSR's, they all sound like they know what they are doing, but it is a rare DN CSR indeed that can actually handle/correct errors properly. I would bet that almost half the CSR's you get on the phone make things worse, not better.

My last run in with DN CSR was over DirecTV making me a great offer for an entire year that would have saved me most of $500 for switching. I contacted DN and was offered a $40/month credit for 6 months and a $10/month credit for 12 months and free showtime/hbo. Of course, my bill showed no credit and full charge for showtime/hbo. When I called them, the CSR said that they could see an attempt to credit my account, but it didn't 'stick'. He said he would straighten it out. That was over 2 weeks ago and my online bill shows no recent activity.

I will have to call in again, at least once more, probably twice before getting it straightened out. The absolute only saving grace is the fact that cable and DTV CSR's are probably just as bad.

Luck all,
George

Yes my bills went up on both of my accounts( mom & dad) when I added FREE hbo and Starz. They added partial charges that accounted for over 26.00 on one of my accounts and 24.00 on the other. I promptly called and told the American csr I wanted credit for the partial charges because why would my bill go up if I added something FREE? She said I agree and removed the 26.00 + 20.00 for my trouble. The Indian csr on my other account would only allow me to take off the 24.00 and NOTHING for my trouble. I guess this why no one wants to talk to the Indian csrs. They can't relate to American customer problems. I also have to baby sit my bills now to make sure no more charges. So much for anything FREE from DISH.:rolleyes:

My wife and I got a phone call from Dish about 2 months ago asking if we wanted 'free' HBO/Starz. I told my wife not to accept the offer -- its probably a trick. Sure glad I said that.

I've been a Dish customer since 1997. I know its very hard to believe, but back then they had very good customer service. But things are different now. What they tell you on the phone and what ends up on your bill are often two different things.

Dish should end their practice of baiting and then switching the deal on their customers.

Last edited:
My bill also went up. My cinemax for a penny is up in April, so I told them to get rid of that, starz/hbo, and platinum HD. Bastards!

I noticed that a few days ago also. They told me it was because the credit is applied until later. Either way I didn't want to mess with it so I removed the promotion, and have very basic service with them

My bill went up after adding Platinum HD "free" for 3 months. I did online chat and guy said it was because credits weren't applied until April. Even though I signed up for it on 3/6. I had $16 of Platinum charges on bill, for prorated charges and 1 month charge. He was adamant in leaving as is and said I would still be receiving 3 months free and if I cancelled on June 6th I would get the credit back. He wouldn't refund, so I let it go, even though it still seemed wrong. I read this thread tonight. Did another online chat. Guy apologized and refunded the $16. Pays to use different CSR's. I usually remember this rule.

I have had this happen twice to me. The billing they use is not customer friendly. Most people think "free" means you do not have to pay. As in your bill will not go up for the 3 months you have it. Of course mine went up the second month $20.00. You see partial credits one month then no credits then some credits later. It is just not worth the trouble. I canceled it. If you sign up for this do not be surprised if your bill is more the second and third month. It is odd as this could actually encourage positive feeling towards Dish. Free HBO/Starz! People like that. Then they get a bill charging them and they get mad. Call in and the explanation does not make since. They really need to fix this or not offer it.

I can't remember the last time I actually paid for premium movie channels from DN but if I had, I would be all kinds of pissed off. For you guys who are actually paying for movie channels, doesn't it bother you to see advertisements while watching your paid channels???

Used to be, DN would only run these 'bottom screen' advertisement during free previews. Now, I see it on every channel.

I would never pay for their movie channels for them to run advertisement during movies I've already paid for. Why don't they just show the movie in a little window and have paid commercials on the screen full time? If we don't stop this nonsense, eventually that is what will happen.

George

I can't remember the last time I actually paid for premium movie channels from DN but if I had, I would be all kinds of pissed off. For you guys who are actually paying for movie channels, doesn't it bother you to see advertisements while watching your paid channels???

Used to be, DN would only run these 'bottom screen' advertisement during free previews. Now, I see it on every channel.

I would never pay for their movie channels for them to run advertisement during movies I've already paid for. Why don't they just show the movie in a little window and have paid commercials on the screen full time? If we don't stop this nonsense, eventually that is what will happen.

George

What in the world are you talking about???? There is no such thing as you describe on premiums.

Well, of course....Just as described I got my bill today after signing up for the "free HBO/Starz for 3 months" deal. Last months bill showed 2 credits, one for the partial month, and one for the full month. Now this month, No credit being applied, I have to pay the full $22. I consider myself to be pretty bright when it comes to this stuff usually but i'll be darned if I can figure out the way they do billing. I suppose when I call and cancel the free promo then I'll get the 3rd credit applied for that billing month, No more partaking of "free" offers for me anymore, not worth the bill gamble.

What in the world are you talking about???? There is no such thing as you describe on premiums.

Well off the top of my head, I recorded Enchanted the other day and while the kids were watching it, I noticed scrolling advertisements for other shows on that particular movie channel.

Come to think of it, I'm wondering if DN 'knows' that I'm getting showtime/hbo for free and that triggers promotional material just like free previews do?

I had the same thing happen to me, the changes in the subscriptions and the charges.

You would think that these people in the accounting department are graduates of "AIG" accounting school?

I can understand showing the charge, and then showing a credit for the exact amount with the "net" being "Zero"; But no way, they do this "AIG " accounting process, and then charge you tax!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)