Bird Dog Satellite Signal Finder

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Neal

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2004
Atlanta, GA
I have a Bird Dog Satellite Signal finder and was wondering which satellite I should try to find first so that all of the others will fall into place thus enabling me to get all channels?

Thanks for your help,

Neal

So why not the 110 sat ? i get it if i use a single lnb dish! And why when i hook up the reciever i get no signal? Does the reciever need to be told that it is a multi dish and not just a single LNBF dish?.

Cheers Von

When the dish is connected to a box, the box powers the dish with either 13 or 18 vdc to select a set of channels to be received from the satellite. The birdog only sends 13 vdc to the dish for signal finding. the channels that come off of 110 can only be received with 18vdc. Most Installers use the 101 to adjust the up-down and left-right positioning, and the 119 to adjust the tilt. On a multi-lnb dish, the voltage method is also used to select what bird you want to get channels from. with a single-lnb dish, there is no option, and thus your birdog will see a signal from 110.

What does dither the dish mean?

Gross peak it to the max strength you can get on the 101 and tighten the mast bolts. Switch to the 119 and adjust the tilt until you get max strength there. Tighten the tilt bolts.

Using the Fine Adj. Elevation screw and Azimuth Screw, peak it to max strength on the 101. Reset the marker dials on the outside of the bolt to 0. Turn the elevation bolt 2 full turns in the counterclockwise direction, and record your signal reading on the 101. Now turn the elevation bolt in the clockwise direction until you get the same signal reading that you just recorded. Take the number of full turns and partial turn (from the dial) and divide by 2. Reset the counter to 0 and turn the elevation bolt in the counterclockwise direction to the number of turns you just calculated. Repeat the process for the azimuth bolts, and lock down the dish.

Yes got that but why when i hook up the receiver i get no signal? This receiver was origanal setup with a single lnb dish, does the receiver need to be told that it now has a switch to configure (similar to a FTA box)?

Thanxs for all the help

Von

Sounds like your reciever needs to be reconfigured for your new dish.

Go to Menu> Setup> Satellite> Repeat Satellite Setup> Select the 5 lnb dish and follow the steps.

It should work after that

If you get 110 first then the other 2 are easier to get, because all you have to do is tilt the dish to one side or the other.

The current Ka/Ku download for the Birdog programs it for 13v on the 101 and 119 slot but the Birdog will put out 13v, 18v with or without 22khz tone depending on programming. I think the Birdog people have the 110 download programming wrong.
When the dish is connected to a box, the box powers the dish with either 13 or 18 vdc to select a set of channels to be received from the satellite. The birdog only sends 13 vdc to the dish for signal finding. the channels that come off of 110 can only be received with 18vdc. Most Installers use the 101 to adjust the up-down and left-right positioning, and the 119 to adjust the tilt. On a multi-lnb dish, the voltage method is also used to select what bird you want to get channels from. with a single-lnb dish, there is no option, and thus your birdog will see a signal from 110.

Guess I was off on that one, good catch.

Birdogs that us techs get are not normally programmed for 110, since we use 101 and 119 to tune dishes.

*bows to Little Dish Guy*

I just went to the Bird Dog site and found this. I was looking to see if they maybe had and update/upgrade or something. I have the 2.50 version myself.

BirDog versions and their compatibility with DTV multiple-reception LNBs: Evolving advancements in satellite signal reception have placed an increased demand on signal meters due to the current draw of multiple LNB dishes. Older versions of the BirDog meter, in some cases, simply cannot support the current draw required to power multi-LNBs. We would like to clarify that only the version 2.50 meter is capable of powering the DTV multi-LNB assemblies without additional power being applied by some other source. As always, ensure your meter has received sufficient full charge prior to attempting this.

Hope this helps some.

I believe the multiswitch in the Slimline and AT9 will share some of the operating current between several receivers. In theory, if you have an operating receiver connected to at least one LNB port it should lessen the current required from a Birdog. I have not personally tested this so its just a suggestion to try.
Bob

I got this email from Birdog. I mailed asking about an upgrade or something for the new birds. Again, this is just a FYI in case anybody wants to know.

Dear Jerry,
Thank you for your questions,

Regarding the DirecTv multi LNB assembly once the 101 and 119 positions have been found the other positions will automatically be in the correct place due to the precise spacing of the LNB feed horns (this is the recommended DirecTv technique).

DTV Ka/Ku 3G 101 West
DTV ka/Ku 3G 119 West

The above selections available from the BirDog Configure web site would be the ones you require. These selections are also part of the default file available from the BirDog Preconfigured web site.

Notes:

The 110 selection is designed for use with a single output LNB only. Occasionally single installations are made on the 110 position satellite which is why there is a separate setting made available for it.

The 99° and 103° west satellites are populated with DVB-S2 modulated carriers which are not directly compatible with the BirDog which is why DirecTv recommend the 101 and 119 offset technique as described previously.

If you have any BirDog questions I will be happy to assist.

I have a duel dishpro 500 sat with a duel LMB and have a birdog 2.5 just picked it up and want to program it ,the birdog site is not up is there anywhere else I can get the programming files to load on this , thanks

I just hit the 101 and the 119. I call the customer from the roof or yard and ask about the numbers.
A HSP tech followed one of my installs with a Birdog and reported no adjustment necassary. He also reported the customer had moved the TV from channel 3, thus goofing (tech term) the pic (another tech term).

The Birdog is a great tool but since you have to install about twenty jobs to pay for the sucker.......I still "twist & shout". The first several hundred were a challenge but now they just fall into place.

Joe

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)