Bird nest in my mount

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

neftv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 9, 2005
PA USA
I noticed recently that in back of my 1.2m channel master dish polar mount inside the mount is a bunch of nest grass birds put in there. I can not believe how they can squeeze in and out of there. I took a closer look and it would be impossible to remove without some sort of casualty. Any advise on this? Should I let it go till the fall? I don't know how they could stand the heat of the metal from the sun hitting it. I know I'm going to have Bird dodo on my Dish Network Dish near below this mount. IS there something to do here or let it go till Bird season is over in the fall?

Before you move anything, I would check and see if there are any eggs. If there are, I would just leave it. If there isn't any then maybe you can put up a bird house nearby and move the nest to it. I'm not sure how birds take to the same nest that has been moved, but even if the bird doesn't accept it I'm sure it could make a new nest in no time. Also, some birds like to aggressively swoop at you if you mess with their nests (I know this from experience lol) so be careful and make sure they aren't around before you try anything!

tap on the dish. You'll hear the babies if there are any
If there are babies they'll be gone in 2-3weeks(at which point they'll probably lay another batch)

Many people throw out starling and sparrow nests because they are considered "nuisance" birds

whether you decide to wait or throw the nest out now make sure you plug up the opening or they will come back, even if its a tiny or horrible place(I had sparrows make a nest in the air breather of a John Deere 4430 tractor every spring for about 4 years in a row)

Wad up a piece of screen wire and stick it in there when they finish their growing cycle. I've had 'em build in everything around here too.

I noticed recently that in back of my 1.2m channel master dish polar mount inside the mount is a bunch of nest grass birds put in there. I can not believe how they can squeeze in and out of there. I took a closer look and it would be impossible to remove without some sort of casualty. Any advise on this? Should I let it go till the fall? I don't know how they could stand the heat of the metal from the sun hitting it. I know I'm going to have Bird dodo on my Dish Network Dish near below this mount. IS there something to do here or let it go till Bird season is over in the fall?
Are you sure it's a bird, and not a mouse or chipmunk or something? I've had mice nest in my dish mount. In fact they got their grass and sticks all messed up in the grease of the main gear of my Ajax H-H... really gummed up the works.

Re moving the nest..... Birds are very particular about where they nest. No way would they go to a nest you've moved into a bird house.

Anyway, if you find out that they are indeed birds, I'd be really curious what kind of birds they are. I'd guess a wren.

Re the response about sparrows being nuisance birds, that's only house sparrows, aka English sparrows, which are dirty city birds that were brought here from Europe. The other sparrows are considered desirable songbirds. Around here, we get white throated sparrows, tree sparrows and chipping sparrows, which are NOT nuisance birds. Actually the white throated are really neat when they're nesting, as the nest on the ground, and they run along the ground like a chipmunk getting to/from their nest, rather than flying to it. Funniest bird behavior I've seen.

Re being bombed by birds protecting their nest, mocking birds do that a lot, but it's not serious. I paddled my canoe a bit too close to an osprey nest once, and got attacked by the mother osprey. That definately got my attention.

After reading this posting I noticed I have a nest on the wall mount of my pole for my StarChoice dish. The pole is bolted to the eve of the house then a wall mount about a foot and a half below that. It, the nest, will stay there, no need to move it. (the dish has moved since my avatar) Unfortunately I trimed out a nest while trimming my cedars. Did not see it untill the branch was cut off. The next nest I did see and I left the branch for now. A lot of birds in our cedars. They are about 15ft tall and 15ft wide. At one time we had a few rabbits living in them we would see now and again, but we now have a fox in the neighbourhood we see in the mornings and no more rabbits.
Sorry Anole, no digital camera anymore so no pictures.:(

After reading this posting I noticed I have a nest on the wall mount of my pole for my StarChoice dish. The pole is bolted to the eve of the house then a wall mount about a foot and a half below that. It, the nest, will stay there, no need to move it. (the dish has moved since my avatar) Unfortunately I trimed out a nest while trimming my cedars. Did not see it untill the branch was cut off. The next nest I did see and I left the branch for now. A lot of birds in our cedars. They are about 15ft tall and 15ft wide. At one time we had a few rabbits living in them we would see now and again, but we now have a fox in the neighbourhood we see in the mornings and no more rabbits.
Sorry Anole, no digital camera anymore so no pictures.:(

If the bird nest is relatively small, I'll bet that they're phobes. Watch for small grey birds sitting on a branch bobbing it's tail up and down while waiting for mosquitos and moths to fly by. Those phoebe birds seem to love to build nests on the side of houses, generally on top of a light above a door, even if it's a door you use all the time. Also listen to "fee bay fee bee" at 4:30 in the morning.
Also, what kind of rabbits? I'm originally from Pa, then through Ill, Ont, and Md, and all I used to see were cotton-tail rabbits, but up here in Maine, we have these snow-shoe hares, that are really neat. When I first noticed what we had, I read a blurb in an Audobon field guide that said something like "runs circles in front of dogs". I thought this was a bit strange, and thought it was related to the fact that regular cottontail rabbits flee in a BIG circle, usually about a quarter mile in diameter, so if you sit where you see one while a dog's chasing them, they will eventually come back to you after about a half hour or so.
But the first time my dogs took off after one of these snowshoe things, I found out what the fieldguide meant. The darn rabbits started running in a circle that was about 100' in diameter, and the dogs seemed to be getting closer and closer to catching it, when all of a sudden, the rabbit shot off the circle and ran away, and the dog were still running around in circles, not knowing that the rabbit was gone. Really funny. I guess that the dogs go after the smell, and if the rabbit has made 4 or 5 loops that the smell is stronger in the circle. Anyway it was neat to see. What it has to do with satellite dishes, I have no clue, except one of the 2 times I saw this was pretty close to where I have my dishes.... (sorry for getting off topic.).

We see a lot of sparrows like this
House sparrow
also starlings and robins. In the neighbourhood there are a few blue jays and the odd cardinal. Years ago we had a lot of evening grosbeaks
Hinterland Who's Who - Evening Grosbeak
in the winter, but have not seen them for a few years.
At work today I say four goldfinch (the yellow ones)
Hinterland Who's Who - American Goldfinch
See a few crows when garbage day comes around.
The rabbits are cotton tails. Quite some years ago, (20-30), we had a rabbit with its ears clipped off. The only reason we could think of it to come by that way was we must of clipped it ears while cutting the grass. When cutting up to the cedars, we would push the lawnmower into the cedars 6 or 8 inches to trim the grass. We saw that rabbit for 3 or 4 years, gave it the nickname, fearless earless.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)