birddog excess current

davidbrugg

Original poster
Jul 22, 2015
maine
Bought used birddog usb plus.
Battery would not Hold charge but it worked for a few minutes.
Went Battery Plus they built a new 7.2 battery.
When I plugged in new battery instant heat and burning smell from birddog.
Found battery made by battery plus was wired backwards. They claimed it was built just like the one I gave them BS.
SO they rewired it and I plug it in and now it says EXCESS CURRENT AND SHUTS OFF.
I PLUG IN THE CHARM CORD IT SHOPS BATTERY AT 0 PERCENT AND CHARM ERA TO 100 IN TEN MINUTES.
MULTI METER SHOPS BATTERY AT 7.2 NOT 0

looking ideas on how to proceed need another battery now, cause I returned battery plus.

Could battery have been toasted?
Could charger been fried?
No visual burn spots anywhere.

Thanks

Bought used birddog usb plus.
Battery would not Hold charge but it worked for a few minutes.
Went Battery Plus they built a new 7.2 battery.
When I plugged in new battery instant heat and burning smell from birddog.
Found battery made by battery plus was wired backwards. They claimed it was built just like the one I gave them BS.
SO they rewired it and I plug it in and now it says EXCESS CURRENT AND SHUTS OFF.
I PLUG IN THE CHARM CORD IT SHOPS BATTERY AT 0 PERCENT AND CHARM ERA TO 100 IN TEN MINUTES.
MULTI METER SHOPS BATTERY AT 7.2 NOT 0

looking ideas on how to proceed need another battery now, cause I returned battery plus.

Could battery have been toasted?
Could charger been fried?
No visual burn spots anywhere.

Thanks
Hopefully your meter hasn't been damaged through all of this. Here is the spare battery I got a while ago. http://www.ebay.com/itm/271145411095
Good luck! :)

Reactions: davidbrugg
Welcome to SatelliteGuys!!

Sounds like the meter is damaged. Grab another battery and cross your fingers.

Reactions: davidbrugg
Welcome!

If it powers up fine on external power, the damage is contained in the the battery regulator/charging circuit.

I would raise a ruckus with Battery Plus. They should cover the repair. :(
When you say power up on n external power do you mean 110 cord and 12 Web? Right now when I put the plugs in nothing happens. I do on not have a battery in as I'm waiting for a new one to come in. When I did have there battery in it from them it went to excess current and when I plug it in it showed charging but still did not come on

Welcome!

If it powers up fine on external power, the damage is contained in the the battery regulator/charging circuit.

I would raise a ruckus with Battery Plus. They should cover the repair. :(
Who repairs these? The charger is still putting out 12 volts but does not power the unit without a battery in it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)