Birdog meter for FTA?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

skyhigh

Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Is the birdog meter good for the FTA satellite? I get signal on my birdog meter but on the reciever it show that I have no signal and I also had the same problem trying to catch the Globe Cast Satellite too.

I don't have one so don't quote me, but I read somewhere, I think in these Forums (do a search on Birdog), and it was said that some LNBF's were not working with the Birdog meter. And, it was suggested to use a different LNBF to capture the satellite with and then replace it with the LNBF you intend to use. Or something like that? Like I said, "Don't Quote Me" please!

Al

I have used my Sat Hawk meter to do several Globecast jobs and it hasn't failed me yet, but that satellite is hard to get a good signal & Quality from it.

BryanSR

The BIRDOG should work fine for FTA. Make sure you have the latest datafile loaded into the meter.

Also, you have to make sure you use the right settings for the LNBF in the meter and receiver.

Super Buddy Meter for FTA Installs

The Birdog should work for FTA installs. As it is a Sat ID meter, it helps to ID and LOCK on the satellite you're looking for. Other ID meters are our Super Buddy meter and SAT9520 meter. The Super Buddy is our latest and greatest. The Super BUddy meter is designed as a do-it-all meter to find and LOCK on the WildBlue satellites, DirecTV satellites (including new AT9KaKu & Slimline), Dish Network satellites (including new 118.7 & 129), Ku Band satellites, Hughes Net satellites, Bell ExpressVu, etc. It's true that you can spend less money for a basic peaking meter like our Sat Buddy or a Channel Master analog meter that gives relative signal strength, but as more satellites are launched into the sky, it's nice to be able to LOCK on and ID them to know you're on the correct one and see the actual signal level and signal quality to know you're in good shape before you leave the customer's house. If the more experienced installers are able to use a compass and a basic peaking meter like our Sat Buddy or a Channel Master to peak the dish, then that's great. With the Super Buddy we're trying to make the installs more simple and more accurate by identifying all the satellites.

To get a better lock on a linear satellite with the BirdDog, enter the main set-up menu and change the BER setting to LOG. This will make the meter more sensitive when working with the weaker FSS signals.

Check you manual for the exact button pushes and procedure.

also keep in mind the birdog doesnt output a 22khz signal (it outputs diesqc commands but not 22khz, this I find odd) so it wont work with universal linear lnb's

also keep in mind the birdog doesnt output a 22khz signal (it outputs diesqc commands but not 22khz, this I find odd) so it wont work with universal linear lnb's

That used to be true in older models. The newer models as of 1 year ago support Universal & Standard Linear LNBFS.

That used to be true in older models. The newer models as of 1 year ago support Universal & Standard Linear LNBFS.
so what your saying is I should have bought by birdog from you like I was planning to until I saw a used one on ebay for $40 less ?

every time I try to save a buck it back fires, lol.

I just gota learn to stop being so cheap, lol

I bought a 22khz tone inserter for universal lnb's and when Im aiming starchoice with their stacked lnb, works well :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)