Birmingham, Al. CBS 42 hd problems

Yep. Cannot watch the Bama/LSU game on Dish CBS 42 hd. Pixelation really bad. Just shot Dish email. I encourage others to do the same.

I checked back after watching my Direct and it looked better. At least it is watchable now. Not 100% though.

Last edited:
It was happening on the ABC channel for the OK St and TT game too. Tiger, did you watch that one also? IF so, how was it?

Yes. I noticed wavy grass on that one. I watched it on Dish. It may be that they are having trouble with 119 in general. The only hd channels we get from that sat. is our hd locals so it is hard to tell. They have been on Dish for about a year and a half. WIAT hd has had trouble from the start. 33/40 hd has had problems also. NBC 13 hd and Fox have been trouble free as far as I know on Dish. With that said, NBC 13 to me has the worst pq.

On my Direct for the same channels there have been no problems. WIAT hd on Direct has had the best pq, with NBC13 dead last.

I wonder if anyone out there with Dish that is looking at our hd locals on 61.5 can tell us if they are problem free.

Yea Cbs 42 hd really bad on Dish network.I watched the Alabama/Lsu game on OTA and it was 100% better quality.

Dish is still working on the problem. Got this today.

Thank you for expressing your concerns and interest in DISH Network. Customer input is an important tool in our efforts to continuously improve the quality of the DISH Network service.

First, I would like to apologize for this on going issue. We are aware of the problem and we are currently troubleshooting. We sent an engineer to the site this past weekend only to find out that some of the equipment had failed. Please be patient with us in our effort to get this rosolved as soon as possible.

We appreciate the time DISH Network customers take to email their audio/video quality concerns. Thank you for your patience and for being a valued customer.

EchoStar Broadcasting Corporation

I the same FORM letter myself. But last nights CSI was just as bad. Sound was in and out a few times and some bad pixels. Hard to believe that D* gets the same signal and has NO problems.........

Got this from Dish today. I have not watched that much of CBS so I cannot tell if there is any improvement. I will watch more closely tomorrow.

We made some recent changes to the equipment for WIAT and we were wondering if you have seen any improvement? If you could please take a couple of minutes this weekend to take a look at it and let us know what you think, that would be great. We do value your input and appreciate the help.

Quality Assurance Department
dishquality@echostar.com

I am checking if any of you guys with Dish are having any problems with WIAT hd the last few days. Watching the PGA event this weekend and primetime Monday night I experienced heavy pixelation or even a freeze of the picture every 20-30 seconds. This morning it has a slight jerk in the picture every 20-30 seconds. The other local hd are fine.

pgsjeep. Is this the same problem you pm me about a week or so ago?? Or was your problem with all local hd??

Here is the email I got back from the GM :

We aren’t having any trouble on our end. We have a DISH receiver here and have a clean signal.
Have you tried picking us up over the air with an antenna?

Bill

Bill Ballard
President/General Manager
WIAT Birmingham

Here is the email I got from Dish:

I wanted to let you know that we have opened a discrepancy ticket for WIAT. This means that we perform up to 9 special checks on this per day. I have escalated this to our Locals Engineering Department. Please be patient and I will get you some answers as soon as possible. If you have not seen any improvement within about 10 days please email again so that I may revisit this issue.
Thank you,

Got this from the GM.

Thanks for the extra effort you are putting into this.
We’ve been doing a lot of work with our digital signal and it could be something on our end. Let me know if you see an improvement over the next few days.

Thanks again.
Bill

Bill Ballard
WIAT Birmingham

The video may be fixed but now there's an audio problem with the surround sound. The center channel audio is comming from the real speakers. It's only happening on CBS channel 42 during the broadcast show. For example CRIMINAL MINDS that's on tonight.

The video may be fixed but now there's an audio problem with the surround sound. The center channel audio is comming from the real speakers. It's only happening on CBS channel 42 during the broadcast show. For example CRIMINAL MINDS that's on tonight.

Yep. Thought at first it was my audio receiver. The audio is ok on Letterman. The picture was aweful last night but like you said, it seems to be fixed tonight.

Yeah. The audio on Letterman was ok on mine too but he was a repeat. I wonder if that made a difference? The shows with the crazy audio were new shows. Could this be a CBS issue?

the audio on 42 has always been horrible, i don't know what they're doing to the soundfields. I had to move all my CBS recordings to OTA 19 in Huntsville.

Got this today from the GM.

Your email helped solve the problem. All viewers with surround sound had issues. Your email led us to discover we had crossed two wires.
Thanks again for pointing this out to us.

Bill

Bill Ballard
WIAT Birmingham

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)