Birmingham, Al. CBS 42 hd problems

tigerfan33

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 12, 2007
Alabama
For the last week or so I have noticed a lot of noise and pixelation on moving scenes on CBS 42 hd. The other 3 local hd networks are fine. I have Direct also and have no problems with 42 hd or any other local hd channels. I talked to the station engineer this morning and he said it was on Dish end. Anyone else??

It is really noticeable watching football.

Yes Ive noticed the same problem.Cbs is broadcasting in 1080i.I pick up CBS 42HD on DISH NET,CHARTER and OTA .I have found that OTA is alot better.For one it is not compressed like it is on Dish and Charter.There is usually going to be a problem with 1080i pixelating anyway.Espn and Fox are 720 p.I like this format better.I do believe Cbs tends to upconvert alot of there cameras.I watched a golf tournament on there a while back and noticed all cameras were not in true HD.I wish CBS would go to 720p like the majority of broadcasters.Im a crimson tide fan and will be watching the game on CBS by way of OTA.Pixeling shouldnt be as bad.Im watching this on a SONY BRAVIA 52 1080p lcd.What brand tv do you have?

I have a Toshiba 50" 720p set, and I live in Northern Cullman County, but I still get a solid signal (85+ on my meter) from 42 OTA. I just simply don't watch the Dish version.

Yes Ive noticed the same problem.Cbs is broadcasting in 1080i.I pick up CBS 42HD on DISH NET,CHARTER and OTA .I have found that OTA is alot better.For one it is not compressed like it is on Dish and Charter.There is usually going to be a problem with 1080i pixelating anyway.Espn and Fox are 720 p.I like this format better.I do believe Cbs tends to upconvert alot of there cameras.I watched a golf tournament on there a while back and noticed all cameras were not in true HD.I wish CBS would go to 720p like the majority of broadcasters.Im a crimson tide fan and will be watching the game on CBS by way of OTA.Pixeling shouldnt be as bad.Im watching this on a SONY BRAVIA 52 1080p lcd.What brand tv do you have?

Samsung 650. One to Direct and one to Dish. I even hooked up a smaller Sharp to make sure it was not the tv. The engineer did say that the feed on their end was fine. It is a problem I have been having for a week or so.

I live in St. Clair county and have the same problem. Would someone please call Dish. I am leaving on vacation and don't have the time to put up with the CSR's, but would really like the problem fixed when I get home.

:)

I see that too and the other B'Hams are not that great a lot of the time

btw, i get these locals on 119 or 61.5 but the 61.5 is a low signal for some reason
It will swap at any given time in the day and no other channel that i know is doing this

on 119 i get a 70 to 72 signal but 25 maybe on the other bird

now other HD channels on 61.5 are normal signal strength over 50 or 60 but what's with the HD Locals bouncing around on these two birds ?

Samsung 650. One to Direct and one to Dish. I even hooked up a smaller Sharp to make sure it was not the tv. The engineer did say that the feed on their end was fine. It is a problem I have been having for a week or so.

Can you pick up CBS 42 at all on OTA ,or have you tried it yet? I get around 83 to 86 signal strength.

Can you pick up CBS 42 at all on OTA ,or have you tried it yet? I get around 83 to 86 signal strength.

I wish I could. I am 50 miles south and one big mountain in my way. I have Direct so I can view this channel without problems but would really like Dish to fix this problem.

I see that too and the other B'Hams are not that great a lot of the time

btw, i get these locals on 119 or 61.5 but the 61.5 is a low signal for some reason
It will swap at any given time in the day and no other channel that i know is doing this

on 119 i get a 70 to 72 signal but 25 maybe on the other bird

now other HD channels on 61.5 are normal signal strength over 50 or 60 but what's with the HD Locals bouncing around on these two birds ?

I get mine on 119. A wing Dish is needed for 61.5. I will wait until Eastern Arc hits Bham and Dish will upgrade existing customers before I get on board with it. Signal strength is around 50 to 55 for my locals. However I do not believe that is the problem. Either you get the signal or you don't.

NCIS was awful last night. I tried OTA, but am not getting a good signal on 42. 42 was my best OTA Birmingham channell, but now its the worst. Maybe it will get better when the leaves fall.

I just checked 42 and it seems a lot better tonight.

I'm watching CSI right now and it is still very bad. As a previous poster said my locals have been sketchy for a few weeks but right now it seems to mostly be CBS.

i have 61.5 too and for some reason it changes on me, lol
and i have no clue why esp since the signal is low on 61.5 vs 119
Hell as long as i get HD i don't care what it does but please don't give me crap quality

Now NCIS I love and last night mine was fine on B'hams feed...hum, it had no issues at all for me. I wonder if i was getting it off 61.5 last night. It's very possible but my picture had no issues at all last night
Right now 13 on HD is so bad it's not watchable and it's on 119 too

In golf, I have noticed several different station will upconvert SOME of the cameras. I havent seen CBS do this on any other sports though

Also, the majority of broadcasters actually use 1080i at this point, not 720p. The main 720p users are ABC, FOX, and ESPN (I think), MOST of the others use 1080i.

i live in Fayette AL and i have noticed the same problem with 42. "The Unit" last weekend was particularly bad and it was really annoying my wife. good thing i don't watch CBS that much. unfortunately, i can only pick up CW over OTA -nothing else :( guess i should go call Dish and complain.

I live in Alabaster, Al I normally get Fox6, WB21, and ,CBS42 OTA Perfect, NBC 13 is a bit shaky and ABC33/40 is just not doable at all. That being said I have noticed the pixelization in CBS42 also and I have noticed it both OTA and threw Dish. There is an issue but I think the issue is at CBS42.

I hope you guys are sending emails to CBS 42. I posted the address in this thread so please do so. The General Manager is good about answering them.

Thanks!!!

Tigerfan33, Thanks for creating this thread.

I live in Tuscaloosa and encountered significant pixelation with the E* feed for CBS 042 HD during the Kentucky-Alabama game today. However, OTA reception using a high-gain attic yagi, was good with my 722 (about 75% strength) and better on with my Sony's tuner (essentially no pixelation). BTW, OTA HD channels 006, 021, 033, and 068 are also quite good, but reception is terrible to non-existent with PSB HD 010.

222 freezing up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)