Birmingham, AL Locals

katsfan

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2007
Since the Birmingham DMA has officially been switched over to Eastern Arc, how long will it be before the Birmingham locals (HD and SD) are removed from the Western Arc sats?

Long time. Dish is now only taking new subs for the Eastern Arc. Many have speculated that it will be at least a year before existing subs start getting the arc.

Yeah they will be on both for a long time, still a lot of subs on the "Western Arc".

Main reason for new subs only on EA is if you have an SD box of any type, it will not work at all on EA.

This would necessitate Dish upgrading all SD receivers to HD.

OTOH, if you currently have all VIP receivers you can get EA yourself just by having the purple card and hitting the correct sats (buy a D1000.4 or combine dishes).

I guess I just assumed that Dish would want to move the locals in order to free up space on the Western Arc birds. However, if they are not going to add new programming (costs them money), there is really no need for the extra space. Also, swapping out dishes to the 1000.4 would also cost Dish more money. What on earth (or 22,500 miles above it) was I thinking? :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts