Birmingham AL users

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

meach13

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Anyone from birmingham al using bright house internet? How are your speeds on turbo? I have owned it for 3 months now and can only get a max speed of 10meg. I have had 8 techs, 3 modems, and a new GARDEN HOUSE SIZE CABLE pulled to the house. We have checked all signals in the house moved the modem to the outside of the house and still nothing better. The line tech came out and turned up the DB on the line. During the evenings we are down to 2-4meg on speedtest.

I have always felt bad for the monopolies that run a muck in the south outside of the state of Florida. Some people in large cities are still limited to one post-bell 768 to just 1.5Mbps DSL option. Yet in most parts of Florida you have multiple DSL options, 3-4 options for cable and/or fiber solutions, and even mesh wifi options for a 10Mbps @ $24.95 a month in some urban areas(tampa, st. pete-such as citiwifi)...yet because of recent advances with every appliance now connecting to the internet instead of just a computer to the WWW it now seems these bandwidth options aren't enough anymore. This is in terms of a sustained bitrate....Bright House runs around 20Mbps to 29Mbps on great days and 2Mbps or below on bad. Turbo has really helped a lot here, it seems to never go below 15Mbps anymore even on peak times

I...Bright House runs around 20Mbps to 29Mbps on great days and 2Mbps or below on bad. Turbo has really helped a lot here, it seems to never go below 15Mbps anymore even on peak times

Maybe where you are, not here. I have turbo and have never seen above about 15.5 (one time). Usually it is 8 to 13mbps. I also see NO speedup on large downloads (say, things over 15 seconds). Nope, no speedup--ever.

You really need to have that looked at jc... I have turbo and with the "powerboost" Ive peaked at 30mbit a few times, usally avgs around 20-25 on some big downloads, and the lowest its dropped in the past 2-3 months or so that I can recall is around 10mbit. Of course that could of also been the site I was using...

How are you "seeing" the rate during downloads? I use speedtest.net for spot checks, but have no utility that shows the rate (except the Windows/Firefox dialog box--which usually shows 100's to 300's during the DL)/

pause...just tried getting openoffice from download.com and it was showing 28-32 kBps. Stopped and started again and it was at 9kBps and dropping.

Well just an update Max speed to date is 11 meg most of the time at night it is up and down ....some nights you get 9 meg some nights you get 4 meg who knows. I have asked for a district supervisor 3 times and still no call backs, the local supervisor told me "I MIGHT WANT TO DOWNGRADE TO 7 MEG SO I WONT HAVE THESE ISSUES"

You could have noise in the main line. This would only be detectable by an experienced main line tech with the right test equipment. In Central Florida we deal with this stuff all the time. It's very time consuming and difficult to pinpoint.

I am in Eufaula and I have the same problems. I have the 15MB down and I am lucky to get 4MB down. I have had this issue for about two months. Techs have been out about six times and still nothing.

The techs blame it on Birmingham and Birmingham blames it on the techs. Odd thing is I have had the 15MB down package for however long it has been offered and never had any trouble with it until a couple of months ago. Then all the sudden I am doing good to get 4MB down the upstream always runs like it is suppose to.

Well the 9th BHN guy showed up today....super cool guy of course we went over every wire, connection, modem, etc. I use to have an MTA for voice and Motorola for the data side. We now removed the motorola and running on the MTA. We still cant get over 10meg on the speedtest, but I asked him if anyone ever had a modem in the truck where they could test the speeds in other neighborhoods to see what there speeds. Well he took my modem to the entrance of the neighborhood where the fiber connection comes in. Well guess what? on 10meg there also. I cant believe nobody else has complained but then again most are on ATT. They are now trying to find where the fiber issue is on the main road.

Also 2 days ago they did finally fix my low db issue they had to install a new repetior up the road.

Lets keep our fingers crossed

meach13, how hard has it been to get progress? What I mean is, did the first call show that there was a problem and BHN has been continuing attempts since then to solve it, or have you had to keep calling them back even though the previous visits did not correct the issue?

jcarrera no i do not feel they have been working the issue. I was giving them 2 more weeks then switching to dsl and satellite. THey kept replacing modems, cables etc. Each tech that came out said we will turn it into maintance and have somebody call you back. Until the bast week I have never had one call to check on my issue.

There are 2 issues I feel that should have told somebody there was more of an issue. 1 the db level at the jack on the curb was to low, 2 I told the techs that i hooked my modem up outside and still had the same speed. Now the new tech (i guess he actually is a line tech and not a house tech) has called me everyday giving me status of what they are doing. THey are suppose to meet with some head engineer or something on sunday, at the location where all the local fiber runs for BHN in my area. They are suppose to start to troubleshoot from there.

Hopefully they are on the road to fixing it.

Well just another update.....Same Line tech came out again yesterday 1-27-09 brought he his old MTA. They also did a couple things with fiber distro on our main road. We actually saw a 16meg on the download test once or twice in about 20 mins. I also ran some test today on speedtest.net speedtest.bham.rr.coml which i saw 16 meg once but most of the time it was around 11 meg in the middle of the day. Tonight we are seeing about 7-9 meg but the test are not SMOOTH they jump all around during the test. The tech said they would be working this week on the rep./amps to get rid of noise levels.

Thanks Chris
Here is the list.
  • ABC Family HD - Channel 671
  • Animal Planet HD - Channel 658
  • Bravo HD - Channel 672
  • CNBC HD - Channel 673
  • Disney Channel HD - 670
  • ESPNEWS HD - Channel 688
  • FS South HD - Channel 693
  • ION HD - Channel 693
  • Lifetime Movie Network HD - Channel 655
  • MLB Network HD - Channel 692
  • Sci-Fi HD - Channel 657
  • USA HD - Channel 656
  • The Weather Channel HD - Channel 654

Well I guess uverse coming to the area has stepped brighthouse up. I use to have Internet speed issues and now we are very solid. The techs told me they were splitting the node in our area. They also just added another 18 HD channels this week. Thank You Brighthouse

untitled.jpg