Bit of myth buster about feeding 2 signals off 1 using DPP 44 and separator...

gixxer

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
Again, i wasn't able to find existing posts about this subject but if there is/are just say so and i'll do more searching on this forum.

I'm getting ready to replace my DP 34 switch at my SuperDISH with DPP 44 over a single cable to DPP Separator to DVR 508 (single tuner) and receiver 301 (single tuner). Some folks say the splitted signals should only be fed to a dual tuner receiver or DVR and have them go to 2 separate devices. Some says having 2 signals go to 2 separate equipments, eg. 301 and 508 is perfectly okay.

Can someone please straighten me on this myth?

Also, how does most folks place the DPP 44 power inserter and DPP separator? Distance from the coax wall plate to the location of 508 and 311 is about ~7 feet. Given that is it better to place the DPP 44 power inserter and DPP near the equipments? Or place the power inserter near the wall plate and separator near the equipments? Or put both the separator and power inserter at the wall plate and run 2 cables ~7 feet each to 508 and 311? I'm so confused.

I just re-read the Quick Facts sheet on DPP Separator and it states, "The DP Plus Separator cannot be used to connect two single tuner receivers.". Oh boy, i think i'm in trouble now because i was all planning to connect up separator to 508 and 301.

Has anyone tried using the separator to connect two single tuner devices? I don't think i'm going to like the answer to this... :(

I may actually have to add additional cable... :( :(

You can't use a separator on two individual receivers! The separator is only for a dual tuner and there is absolutely no way it will run two separate receivers, as such you will need a cable run from the DP+44 to each receiver.

DP+ can have upto 200 feet of cable run from the LNB to Receiver as per Dish instructions and you can install the switch anywhere along that run. I have my DP+44 inside the house (basically for ease of access), but you can mount it outside. The power inserter/power supply should be inside or at least in a dry environment away from the outside elements.

Also note that the DP+44 can only be used with DP/DP+ LNB's, you can not use legacy LNB's with it and the cable must be RG6 with a rating of 2150MHz.

Alt

Are installers even using the Separator in new installs or do they charge extra for that?

In other words, if you order a new system will they just run an extra cable and drill through your house wall to connect the 2nd tuner to the 522 or will they include the DPP 44 and a seperator for Free?

If its not free how much extra is it? I dont want an extra line ran.

The seperators from our distributer are only $3.50

It does make 322 or 522 dual tuners easier to install.

fred

I think it ends up costing the retailers a little more in hardware to use the DPP lnbf's along with the seperators but it may save some on the wiring, time and installation for the installers.

We do not charge extra for seperators, and they definitely do not work on anything but dual tuners. We diplex the #2 TV feed eliminating the need for any new cable ( assuming the house is pre-wired with RG6. And yes, we use the hell out of them. They save loads of time.

Gixxer: No myths. The rule is (at least) one cable per BOX - no exceptions.

As already stated, DPP Separator is ONLY for dual-tuner boxes - no exceptions.

At the moment, most installers are using dual RG-6 on new feed runs, but may find the DPPlus gear to THEIR advantage in some situations. Generally, we don't like to use old crap cable - because we'll get an angry customer calling back - even if they wanted it done that way in the first place. Too bad.

That being said, the DPP Twin is great for standard and Wing Dish setups of two dual-tuner boxes where we'd have to buy a Quad or DP34 anyway.

Some people that pay retail for cable :rolleyes: will argue about that cost, but it's not relevant. At a nickel a foot, it takes a LOT to make up for the cost of the DPPlus gear on just that basis. As for time, it's the same for single and dual - except for connectors. That costs me a whole 20-30 seconds each.

No one around here uses old crap cable either. But a "home pre-wired with RG6" does not mean "old crap cable". I don't pay for the cable. If all you are gaining is 20 to 30 seconds by using existing cable, DPP twin, separators, and diplexers I can see why you would avoid them.

Actually, now that I've thought it through, you can LOSE time by using the Separator. After all, while I save two connectors on the main feed, I need to use FOUR for the jumpers. :D

But of course, said 40-60 seconds either way is irrelevant.

And I'm happy to use pre-existing feeds - IF I can prove to myself that it's good wire.

So if a home is pre-wired with RG6 cables rating of 2150MHz then is that the best prewiring that a home can have for use with HD/SD satellite signals as well as with HD/SD digital cable signals from local cable company?

That is, is RG6 backward compatible with RG58 and RG59 commonly used for cable signals and cable modem service?

I find the Seperator, when used with diplexors for the TV2 backfeed, can save time in many many situations. Prewired new construction.. pre-existing cable installs. You can use RG-59 for the backfeed after the diplexor, as it is only 0-950 MHz, but I almost always run new cable to the rcvr unless the wire is stamped with the frequency.

I think i jump in too soon and bought the DPP 44 switch... sigh...

SimpleSimon said:
Gixxer: No myths. The rule is (at least) one cable per BOX - no exceptions.
As already stated, DPP Separator is ONLY for dual-tuner boxes - no exceptions.

Oh boy, so looks like i'm stuck with DPP 44 switch since i really can't use it now with my plan, which was to replace the DP 34 switch near SuperDISH with DP 44, use existing outside single cable to home to inside home split into my current DVR 508 and 301 unit (301 yet to be purchased) which both are single tuner equipments. That was plan A. Now looks like i need to go with plan B which is to keep my DP 34 and run a new RG6 cable from it to home, and bring in that new RG6 cable inside home to 301 satellite input. :(

Anyone need a DPP 44 switch???

I was planning to purchase 301 to add the external second tunning capability rather than buying a new DVR with dual tuners. I own 508 and at the moment i don't need to pay $5 monthly fee to use the DVR features. I understand that if i buy or lease 522 i need to pay that $5 monthly DVR service fee. Also someone mentioned that DVR 721 do not have this $5 monthly DVR fee. What other DVRs besides 721 do not have this $5 DVR monthly fee? What about 510? I see from DISH Web site that 501/508 and 721 are considered so called "standard" DVRs and 522 and newer ones are called "DISH Player" DVRs. I wonder if the "standard" DVRs do not have the $5 DVR monthly fee.

And if i have my 301 connected to the phone line 24x7 then can the $4.98 monthly charge for using 301 as the second tuner be waived?

And can 301 and 508 co-exist in the same area without getting into remote control conflicts?

Thanks in advance!!! This forum really rocks. It's been only few days now and i've learned so much from great folks, top people in this field!!!

So that others are clear what i'm trying to do with 301 as an extra tunner...

My standard definition TV has 2 cable signal inputs, and at the moment one is connected to 508 and i'm planning to connect the second input to the 301 output. I only have one TV and just want to have dual tunning capability so that while i'm recording on 508, i can watch some else using 301 tuner.

gixxer said:
I wonder if the "standard" DVRs do not have the $5 DVR monthly fee.

The 501, 508, and 721 do not have DVR fees. Additionally, all DVR fees are waived if you have AEP.

gixxer said:
And if i have my 301 connected to the phone line 24x7 then can the $4.98 monthly charge for using 301 as the second tuner be waived?

Entirely incorrect. The 301 is neither a DVR nor a dual-tuner receiver. The $4.98 charge is a DVR fee. The $4.99 additional receiver/phone line fee is waived ONLY for dual-tuner receivers (322 & 522) that are connected to a phone line.

gixxer said:
And can 301 and 508 co-exist in the same area without getting into remote control conflicts?

Yes.

Hmmm...I have to agree with Chaddux; either way, you'll pay an extra $5 to Dish. Either as an additional receiver fee for the 301 or as a DVR fee with the 522. And with the 522, you can put it in single mode using both tuners on the same TV - won't need to run a backfeed unless you want it go to a 2nd TV later.

dizzydean said:
We do not charge extra for seperators, and they definitely do not work on anything but dual tuners. We diplex the #2 TV feed eliminating the need for any new cable ( assuming the house is pre-wired with RG6. And yes, we use the hell out of them. They save loads of time.

Amen to that!!! The combination saves so much time. Amazes me sometimes how many subs don't diplex, I guess because they dont understand them. I've seen havoc on someones wiring with trouble calls and the installer didn't know what the diplexer was. Just remember to get Dish to modify the work order, or you won't get proper credit for the actual equipment used. And NO to anyone wondering, Dish has NOT made the DPP equipment standard yet; installers can only use it with a modified work order and many CSR will "try" to make us justify the need for it.

I dont have anyproblem changing the work orders to go from a dp quad to a dpp twin,I have caught some flak for using a dpp44 instead of a 34 on superdish new connects

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts