Bizarre appearance of 3 local stations

TheKrell

A mighty and noble race originating on Altair IV.
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 4, 2007
Fairfax, VA
I have an H3 using the AirTV dongle in the Washington D.C area. I just noticed 3 stations appear with a nonstandard (black) OTA symbol. They are not really OTA; they are delivered via satellite, despite the fact taht I do not sub to local satellite delivered channels.

The stations are:
  1. 8-00 CNWS
  2. 25-00 WDVM
  3. 36-00 WMDE
Anybody else notice stations like this?

I do not see those channels on my HWS. However, I do not subscribe to satellite locals.

All my dongle OTA stations have yellow-orange icons, except the few that have the network listed.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

However, I do not subscribe to satellite locals.

Neither do I! This is why I called their appearance, "bizarre".
All my dongle OTA stations have yellow-orange icons, except the few that have the network listed.

Exactly what I'm looking at except for the no-text black OTA icon on the 3 channels mentioned.

Reactions: HipKat
Maybe antenna aiming difference?

Maybe antenna aiming difference?

These are not coming from the dongle so far as I can tell. Look at the channel number. I checked my OTA setup section, and there are no such channels there. I was trying to check the SS in OTA setup because I don't remember seeing these channels before. These 3 channels are coming from satellite unless a lot more bizarre mistakes are in H3 firmware than just a messed up guide.

Maybe the CNWS is a hint. That's no call sign...

These are not coming from the dongle so far as I can tell. Look at the channel number. I checked my OTA setup section, and there are no such channels there. I was trying to check the SS in OTA setup because I don't remember seeing these channels before. These 3 channels are coming from satellite unless a lot more bizarre mistakes are in H3 firmware than just a messed up guide.

That could be a sub channel

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: TheKrell

Which sat are they using?

Which sat are they using?

I don't now, but I have the hybrid on EA.

I believe you guys are right about channel 8. So why is this channel showing up on satellite even though I don't sub to locals via satellite?

I believe you guys are right about channel 8. So why is this channel showing up on satellite even though I don't sub to locals via satellite?
Seek and maybe you will find

News Channel 8 Coming to DISH Network in DC Area

I have no access to DISH fora few more days but I am reading locally that DISH has agreed to carry the Sinclair owned News Channel 8. I have no idea if this has already occurred or is a near term add. Sorry of it is laready htere and already discussed but I missed it.

Seek and maybe you will find

News Channel 8 Coming to DISH Network in DC Area

I have no access to DISH fora few more days but I am reading locally that DISH has agreed to carry the Sinclair owned News Channel 8. I have no idea if this has already occurred or is a near term add. Sorry of it is laready htere and already discussed but I missed it.

Finally left Moscow and came back to the States, eh? Haha

Reactions: charlesrshell
I am getting the same thing on my HWS. CNWS is not a call sign. It is cable (and now satellite) only local news channel operated by WJLA (not WJAL) . No way you are getting it OTA as it is not delivered that way. the-000 designation shows all three are satellite delivered. No idea why the guide is showing the OTA logo.

So he may have a quirk in his permissions setup.

Reactions: NYDutch

Dish made a deal with Sinclair to carry it as a sat news channel, not an OTA channel. Tune to the other channels in question and press {INFO}{RECALL} on your remote to see which sat they're coming from, but that won't tell us why.

Tune to the other channels in question and press {INFO}{RECALL} on your remote to see which sat they're coming from, but that won't tell us why.

All 3 are coming from 61.5, though the INFO-RECALL buttons don't give me that info without trying about 10 times.

I guess Sinclair is paying Dish to broadcast their propaganda.
02.gif

All 3 are coming from 61.5, though the INFO-RECALL buttons don't give me that info without trying about 10 times.
Well, there's no question you are getting them by satellite, and apparently Sinclair has contracted for WJLA carriage as a "cable" news channel, not a true "local". That doesn't explain the other two though, unless maybe they're paying for carriage as a "cable" channel instead of a local channel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)