Bizarre Center Ice/Dish Network issue

gretschdrum

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
This Sunday, November 2nd at 5pm the EPG shows the Thrashers vs. Panthers on channel 630. It’s Florida’s feed and it’s being shown in SD and HD. For some reason I can schedule the SD to be recorded on my 722 but the HD version says it’s not available in my area. AKA, blacked out. This situation seems like a mistake on Dish’s part. FYI, I’m in Atlanta but the Thrashers ARE NOT broadcasting this game so I always get the Center Ice feeds (without any issues) when that occurs.

Why would they allow the SD broadcast and not the HD? Could there be some strange loophole regarding HD blackouts? So far this season I’ve seen all the Thrashers’ games on Center Ice that have not been broadcast by Sportsouth (the local Thrashers broadcast affiliate).

Any ideas on why no HD? FYI, I have AT250 and Platinum HD package.

Also, someone on here mentioned that they had an email address to the folks who actually program the Center Ice

UPDATE 10/31/08 6PM: It seems the problem has been fixed. One wise soul hypothesized that it could've been some strange anomoly with the change back to Eastern Standard time. broadcasts. If that person could either email them or post their email address that would eliminate having to deal with a clueless customer service rep.

Last edited:
More than likely the SD broadcast is blacked out as well. Quite often I am able to set my DVR to record a feed that then gets blacked out the day of the game. This happens all the time with the Ducks games. I'll be able to set the DVR to record a couple of days ahead of time and then when I go to watch it, it isn't in the list and I see in the history it was blacked out. You could try forcing and update (check switch) and see if it changes. That is just the way it goes. Or, maybe you got lucky and Dish screwed up and forgot to black out the SD feed.
FYI, just because your local RSN isn't broadcasting it doesn't mean they gave up the rights to have out of market feeds blacked out. I've seen this with both the Kings and the Ducks. A game isn't on FSN, and the opposing teams feed is blacked out on CI. After several calls it came down to FSN had the rights to broadcast the games, but choose not to. Yes it sucks, but what can you do?!!?!?

More than likely the SD broadcast is blacked out as well. Quite often I am able to set my DVR to record a feed that then gets blacked out the day of the game. This happens all the time with the Ducks games. I'll be able to set the DVR to record a couple of days ahead of time and then when I go to watch it, it isn't in the list and I see in the history it was blacked out. You could try forcing and update (check switch) and see if it changes. That is just the way it goes. Or, maybe you got lucky and Dish screwed up and forgot to black out the SD feed.
FYI, just because your local RSN isn't broadcasting it doesn't mean they gave up the rights to have out of market feeds blacked out. I've seen this with both the Kings and the Ducks. A game isn't on FSN, and the opposing teams feed is blacked out on CI. After several calls it came down to FSN had the rights to broadcast the games, but choose not to. Yes it sucks, but what can you do?!!?!?

Hey Hockeyinsd,

Thanks for replying man.

I should've mentioned in the original post that the Thrashers and their broadcast partner (Sportsouth) made a very public announcement that all non-televised games would NOT be blacked out on Center Ice. I've watched all non-Thrashers broadcast games from the other team's broadcast feed without a problem. I still think there's some weird problem or loophole somewhere.

I would call DISH and see what they say. They do have access to blackout lists, it is just that if it is on the blackout list, they can't do anything about it. Try talking to event services or tell them you need technical assistance with Center Ice programming. You probably won't be able to get it fixed in time, being Friday and all. If it does end up being blacked out, send a letter/email to the Thrashers and Sportsouth expressing your displeasure and ask for their help. They want you to be able to watch as many games as possible. You would be suprised what a letter to them will do. It may not fix it this season, but it will get fixed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts