Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Tomorrow when you wake up Dish Network is going to have "Turbo Charged" your HD experience. What that means I have no clue, however I do know one thing 1080p will start rolling out!

Here is how its going to work..

You will tune to channel 501

You will be asked if you want to order the movie in 1080p (as shown below)

1080p1.jpg

Selecting the Rent Open your receiver will then do a test to make sure your HDTV can handle 1080p resolutions. Your screen will go black for up to 15 seconds.

1080p2.jpg

If your television is 1080p compatible and passes the test your recevier will begin outputting 1080p resolution video. The screen will confirm that you want to order the event, if you select no or don't do anything within 15 seconds your screen will go black again and your resolution will drop down to its original resolution.

If the customers television is not 1080p compatable and fails the test the following message will be shown.

1080p3.jpg

If you select yes to this your Dish Network HD DVR will downconvert the movie for you in a resolution your televsion can handle.

And thats how 1080p will work on Dish Network. While the Turbo Charging is scheduled to start tomorrow it could be a week or two before most people see the new 1080p content made available to them.

Enjoy the new 1080p!

Interesting. Suppose I want to rent, and do so from my main, 61" 720p HDTV. And then want to actually watch it on my (future) 1080p smaller screen in my bedroom. How would that work? Given a ViP722 and the option of TV2 or a separate HD DVR receiver at the bedroom TV. Just learn to "rent" from the TV where you plan to watch?

Scott!

I have 2 displayed hooked up through an Onkyo HDMI 1.3 1080p reciever.

Display 1 is a 720p 42inch DLP
Display 2 is a 1080p Mitsubishi Projector.

How will this handle this?

If I do a 1080p movie, will my receiver be forever set to 1080p, thus screwing up my 720 p viewing? Or does it change PER view? If so I will be alright?

So this only applies to HD movies? That sucks since I don't watch PPV. 1080P ALL the time on ALL HD would be something to get excited about.

I wish you could "set" the output to 1080p so all content could be upconverted / delivered to my TV in it's native format.
I am hearing that receviers chipsets have a hard time upconverting to 1080p which is why its not an option at this time.

So this only applies to HD movies? That sucks since I don't watch PPV. 1080P ALL the time on ALL HD would be something to get excited about.

I don't watch ppv either. This will be the exception. I have a feeling Dish will make a pretty good mint on this one--even with price break.

What's this "four hour period" nonsense? (I'm looking at your 1st screen capture.) Is that the new limit of the formerly-24hr PPV offering?

I am still confused about the medium. Is this downloaded via satellite or Internet? It appears to be stored on the hard drive (hence the requirement for DVR receivers), but does that mean it's coming down from wherever slower than real-time? I am guessing "yes" or else all mpeg-4 receivers could handle it: not just mpeg-4 DVRs.

It will be downloaded from the satellite as time and available bandwidth permits. The entire movie will be downloaded and complete before you can view it. So it will be stored on your hard drive and you can then view it.

Most HDTV programming is not produced for 1080P, nor is 1080P streamed from broadcasters. A lot of HDTV isn't even in 1080i. Add to that the voluminous legacy TV shows that are not in any format of HDTV. We wouldn't be able to enjoy the 1080P experience that often. Right now, HD movies is about the only content that will allow us to enjoy 1080p for quite some time. With the movies being transferred to Blu-ray, there will be quite a lot of content from the movies studios available. However, I'm willing to be that the 2012 Olympics will probably be recorded and offered in 1080p.

I have "Legend" on BR. It will be interesting to test Dish 1080P against the BR version for both PQ and sound.

I'll test when the Dish "rental" is available to me.

Most HDTV programming is not produced for 1080P, nor is 1080P streamed from broadcasters. A lot of HDTV isn't even in 1080i. Add to that the voluminous legacy TV shows that are not in any format of HDTV. We wouldn't be able to enjoy the 1080P experience that often. Right now, HD movies is about the only content that will allow us to enjoy 1080p for quite some time. With the movies being transferred to Blu-ray, there will be quite a lot of content from the movies studios available. However, I'm willing to be that the 2012 Olympics will probably be recorded and offered in 1080p.
Any movie or TV show that was filmed on FILM (not video tape) is actually a higher resoloution than 1080p or 1080i

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)