Bizzare problem - VIP622 randomly changed channels while recording

CRFTony

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 14, 2007
I don't know how to fully explain this problem, but I'll do my best.

Two times in the past 3 days, my Dish 622 box has randomly "changed channels" while recording a show. A few days ago, the DVR was recording "Deadliest Catch". About half way through recording, it switched off to a different channel (don't know which one) and kept recording that channel until the end of the hour.

Last night, I was recording "Criminal Minds". 40 minutes into the show, the DVR changed to NBC and recorded a different show for about 10 minutes, then "switched back" to Criminal Minds, recording the end of the show.

During both instances, I was watching another program live (for instance, last night I was watching LOST). The show I was watching live was fine. There were no drop outs, no signal loss, no issues whatsoever. Meanwhile, the DVR signal broke up for a second, then changed to a different channel.

Has anyone heard of this happening before? I really don't see how this can happen. How can the 622, while viewing 1 show live and recording a second "change channels" on the recording program and continue recording the new show without missing a beat (I don't receive any "signal loss detected" or any other error message, the signal just breaks up for a second, then switches to a different channel).

I tried explaining this to a customer service tech and their only suggestion was "reboot the DVR". I did that yesterday, before the issue with Criminal Minds happened, so it's obviously still having issues.

Does anyone have advice or experience with this issue?

Only thing I've seen is Dish providing the wrong feed on a channel, what does the info screen state when viewing the incorrect section of the recording. That should tell you if the feed was changed or the receiver actually changed it's channel.

Hmm, I didn't think to check that and have deleted both programs off the DVR. I'll have to check when/if it does it again.

I think you're right about the feed changing though, because if it was actually changing channels, I don't think it would record the "new" one. I know if I'm taping a show and try to change the channel, it always asks if I want to stop recording and it never automatically starts recording the new one.

Any chance that your neighbor has Dish also and has their UHF remote on the same address? You could try changing your remote address to see if that fixes anything.

Any chance that your neighbor has Dish also and has their UHF remote on the same address? You could try changing your remote address to see if that fixes anything.

Worth checking, but the OP description does not sound like that as it continued to record the new channel as part of the same recording.

Probably either a Local Feed problem, or Dish operating error. I haven't heard of a Dish receiver itself doing this kind of thing, but I suppose its always possible.

My ViP722 has been acting crazy for the past couple of days.

Wednesday morning I woke up to find my ViP722 turned on and set to channel 500. Later that evening the "info" screen would just pop up on its own during shows. Last night the damned receiver started changing channels and switching in and out of Live TV mode.

This evening I came home from work to find my receiver turned on. It was not on when I left for work this morning.

Right now I'm watching a baseball game on WGN America. A few minutes ago the receiver just started channel surfing by itself before reverting back to WGN.

How do you change the UHF address for the remote controls? I want to try that just to see if it will work. If that doesn't work then there must be something irritatingly wrong with my receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts