Black bars on Military History

Mister B

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 3, 2008
El Paso County Texas
Do any members have an idea why there are black bars at the top and bottom of the screen on Military History? If some of the material is 4:3 aspect ratio there should be bars on the sides, not the top and bottom. However, the bars are always there even on infomercials. I have not seen horizontal black bars since I was watching 16:9 material on an old 4:3 CRT. I am not sure if the picture is stretched or not but it certainly is lower resolution than the other SD feeds.

Last edited:
I'm watching Military History at 9:45 am eastern time show called Mail Call and have full screen.. It's just the programming I guess..

Do any members have an idea why there are black bars at the top and bottom of the screen on Military History? If some of the material is 4:3 aspect ratio there should be bars on the sides, not the top and bottom. However, the bars are always there even on infomercials. I have not seen horizontal black bars since I was watching 16:9 material on an old 4:3 CRT. I am not sure if the picture is stretched or not but it certainly is lower resolution than the other SD feeds.
I don't subscribe to the higher package or I would check. Probably not the issue but just throwing this out there. I have a widescreen tv and in Orby settings, TV connection if I force the following settings I can replicate black bars at the top and bottom of the screen but it is on all channels not just a single one.

TV Ratio: 4:3
Zoom: Keep Original Shape

Like I said probably not the issue. More likely it is just how they are sending that channel but worth mentioning. :)

1594302683473.png

From Wikipedia Page. I do not have channel. Says
Picture format 480i (SDTV)
(most current-day programming presented in widescreen letterbox).

OK, I saw a commercial on Military History that did fill the whole 16:9 screen. So it is just a matter of how Orby is sending out the signal. No combination of settings on the Orby will eliminate the black bars on the current show but I can use the LG remote to choose 4:3 ratio and at least put the picture in the center of the screen as a 16:9 picture with black bars all the way around. It is of course smaller but at least much clearer. It is kind of a lot of trouble. This aspect ratio mess has always made my head spin.

Reactions: FTA4PA

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts