Black News Channel

DJ Lon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I haven't seen this addressed anywhere but next to channel 360 BNC SD I have channel 361 BNC STREAM which is an HD feed of channel 360.

Anyone know why? Why not just have the channel in HD?

I haven't seen this addressed anywhere but next to channel 360 BNC SD I have channel 361 BNC STREAM which is an HD feed of channel 360.

Because believe it or not there are still some folks out there that have SD only receivers. Most of them would be on the western arc. This is being remedied right now as those people are being upgraded little by little. Eastern arc is already HD only except for some local channels that have SD feeds and those channels are all on the 77 satellite.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Satellite space is limited. Why use up valuable space for a channel that is not heavily watched, yet still offer a HD feed to those who have setups that can access it by streaming it.

I wish DISH would do this a lot more for stations like BBC World News, TV Land and some others.

Its a win win all around.

Satellite space is limited. Why use up valuable space for a channel that is not heavily watched, yet still offer a HD feed to those who have setups that can access it by streaming it.

I wish DISH would do this a lot more for stations like BBC World News, TV Land and some others.

Of course that is great for the majority of the population that can actually stream. Unfortunately the entire population is not capable, yet....

Yes, until a few years ago we had no high speed internet out here. Thanks to Spectrum we now do. Otherwise it would be costly satellite or cel phone towers. There is still no DSL available.
One disadvantage of getting rid of the SD feeds, is rain fade. During heaving rain an HD signal will revert back to SD. Without that, the signal is gone. Thankfully with streaming, that is not an issue.

Of course that is great for the majority of the population that can actually stream. Unfortunately the entire population is not capable, yet....
Still, there are some channels where Dish actually carries an HD feed, but that feed is only available by streaming it from the Dish Anywhere website, not through the receiver. The point is, why not make those feeds more conveniently accessible to as many subscribers as possible? Those who can't stream at all already have no access to those feeds, but there should not be any hurdles in the way preventing those who can stream from accessing them.

Is it Black News Channel? I haven't watched but the description says Brand New Church out of Arkansas. Without getting political I think I can make a guess regarding content and there would be little if any reason for it to be HD.

Because believe it or not there are still some folks out there that have SD only receivers. Most of them would be on the western arc. This is being remedied right now as those people are being upgraded little by little. Eastern arc is already HD only except for some local channels that have SD feeds and those channels are all on the 77 satellite.
Just to clarify that last sentence, even the SD local channels on Eastern Arc are all MPEG-4, which still require an HD-capable receiver. Most of the locals on 77 are HD feeds, and most of those markets are now also mirrored on the 72 satellite. If Dish still carries SD feeds of the major networks for those markets, then those SD feeds are on Western Arc. (Cincinnati SD feeds are on 110, for example.) The SD feeds on the 77 satellite are mostly national channels.

Reactions: TheKrell

But I am told that people who are not hooked up to broadband do not see the stream channels.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: pattykay
But I am told that people who are not hooked up to broadband do not see the stream channels.

Yes, that is correct. I have tested Wally both ways. (Internet-connected, and without internet)

Just as mwdxer1 was saying about the satellite-delivered SD feeds, the streaming feeds could also be a good way to provide back-up during rain fade. So, when the signal goes out on the satellite feed, revert to the streaming feed. As soon as the satellite signal returns, the receiver could switch back to the satellite feed. This would help people who have data caps, by allowing them to only use the streaming feed when it is actually necessary in order to receive the channel at all. The rain fade "SD fallback" ("HD fallback") feature already works this way for the satellite feeds. So, a streaming fallback feature should not be that difficult to implement.

I've been reading reviews of SpaceX's Starlink which is in beta testing. Reviews have been glowing for the most part and SpaceX is putting up 60 satellites a pop quite regularly. $500 for equipment and $100 month for service.

Time marches on.....

I understand your logic but still feel I am paying to watch content on/from the Dish service, not watch internet content via the Dish interface. That's why I have a Roku.

I understand your logic but still feel I am paying to watch content on/from the Dish service, not watch internet content via the Dish interface. That's why I have a Roku.

But it is a service being provided to you by dish because of your Dish service.

I hope I don’t let a cat out of the bag but expect to see a lot more niche and foreign channels on DISH only offered via streaming.

Reactions: navychop

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)