"BLACK OUT - Channel 505 has blacked out this program in your area" ?!?!

bnl107

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 29, 2004
Allentown, PA
I just tuned to Channel 505 (TBS) to watch the Phillies game and got this message:
BLACK OUT - Channel 505 has blacked out this program in your area.

WTF is this?!? I'm 45 miles from Philly and don't get ANY of the OTA Network feeds, so now I have no way of watching my home-team's ball games. This may be the final straw when it comes to my support of Voom. I already have an appointment to have their broadcast basic plan installed on the 25th so that I can at least get my local networks, a service which I will be paying an extra $24.99/month for, bringing my total cable/satellite charge to $133/month! I may just have them install their digital and HD packages and drop Voom completely (21 HD channels including HDNet, all the movie channels, and all the extended cable channels for $112/month, plus no rain fade). IMO, this lack of essential programming is absolutely unacceptable for a $109/month satellite charge when for $3 more I can have more channels and my locals in SD and HD. Sorry Voom, I've tried to stand by your company through the OTA and Olympics fiascos, and all of the Installs, Inc and billing mistakes, but enough is enough.

Once, again this is not Voom's doing. They have to comply with local blackout rules. The game is being carried by your local RSN, so you can't watch it on TBS. Unfortunetly voom doesn't carry your RSN, so then if that stinks, for now you'll probably need another provider, but getting RSNs is something Voom can/is working on...

It is baseball rules,if that game is on your local RSN or local channel you can't get it from somewhere else(ESPN,TBS,etc)
Don't blame Voom.

bruce said:
It is baseball rules,if that game is on your local RSN or local channel you can't get it from somewhere else(ESPN,TBS,etc)
Don't blame Voom.

Well, if I had Cable, D*, or E* I would be watching the game right now (and paying less per month, in most cases even with HD) ... so how can I (or you) not blame Voom? In fact, if I had cable I'd be watching the game right now, live, in HD! Voom, the HD leaders... in their own minds. :rolleyes:

bnl107 said:
Well, if I had Cable, D*, or E* I would be watching the game right now (and paying less per month, in most cases even with HD) ... so how can I (or you) not blame Voom? In fact, if I had cable I'd be watching the game right now, live, in HD! Voom, the HD leaders... in their own minds. :rolleyes:

You are right,on your RSN,which you knew Voom did not carry when you signed for Voom,don't blame Voom for that,blame yourself.

RSN is the only reason I still have cable. And I use it only for RedSox games. But, I knew it before I signed with Voom so I am not blaming Voom. I hope that some day all RSN's will be on Voom.

Your beef is with Comcast not VOOM. Welcome to the world of the Satellite in the Philly region. Since Comcast uses a loophole to keep them from having to offer Comcast Sportsnet Philly to Satellite most Flyers, Sixers and Phillies games are blacked out.

You can switch to D* or E* they are supposed to abide by these rules, if they do not they are violating their rules and technicaly they could lose the right to cover the event. Last time the Marlins played in HD it was supposed to be blacked out according to the MLB and the Marlins, V* and cable followed that directive but not D* and E* here, I don't know if they got in "trouble".... again it's not Voom's fault they are just doing what they are told to do, the last thing they need is to get fined by TBS or lose the right to have that channel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)