Black screen on 622............???

Parlyle

Pub Member/Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 16, 2004
West Central Wisconsin
We were just watching "House", off of HD, OTA from the "Twin Cities", Mpls/St Paul, Minnesota. About 2 minutes left of the show, screen goes black. Nothing, no sound, picture, nothing.

This happened on our 622. It did it once before. Did a soft reboot and all came back.
Has anybody had this happen? I haven't gone through all of the posts lately, so I apologise for not having an answer, if there was one noted.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Lyle

Yep. It's been happening to me more recently. First two weeks it worked perfectly. I've had it happen using OTA, SAT, and DVR.

Any suggestions that we could use would be helpful. Does E* know of this problem?
It sounds like maybe it could be helped with a SW fix, although I'm not a techky.
Thanks........

If you are using the HDMI output, many have experienced a complete failure of picture over the last month. It seems confined to certain TV brands, and they are calling it a software problem.

L3.57 doesn't cure the bug. You can do the endless replug, reboot cycle to try and trick it into waking up, or just switch to a component video cable until it is ready for prime time.....

I've been having this problem several times a day. I believe that it occurs because the box is overheating. I went into diagnostics and my average temp. is 127 degrees. I don't know why my box is running so hot since its in an open area with plenty of ventilation.

Well, for information:

I have a Mitsubishi WD-52725
Just checked my average temperature and that is 111ºF
I am running the HDMI out of the 622 to a Gefen HDMI switcher to the HDMI port on the TV. That seems to have been ok in the past. I used it with the 942 that I replaced with the 622, and had no problems.
Do any of these seem to have a common thread?

Lyle

BobMurdoch said:
If you are using the HDMI output, many have experienced a complete failure of picture over the last month. It seems confined to certain TV brands, and they are calling it a software problem.

L3.57 doesn't cure the bug. You can do the endless replug, reboot cycle to try and trick it into waking up, or just switch to a component video cable until it is ready for prime time.....

Any idea what TV brands? I lost HDMI today. Sharp 26D40U.

Ray

Sony and Mits..

When I reported my "no HDMI" problem 2 weeks ago, the tech stated that there are particular brands affected, notably Sony (I have a KDLV40XBR1) and Mistubishi...

I don't think it is manufacturer sensitive

Techsac jinxed me. I started to have this problem over the weekend watching what I recorded at the end of the week. He told be about it just before it happed. I am using HMDI cable but with a Infocus made Toshiba MT800 (7205) Projector. I don't believe this is related to manufacturer.

Has anyone else tried the menu twice then escape routine. I noticed stuff recorded earlier in the week ran fine.

I just received an e-mail from the VP of engineering regarding the "Black Screen of Death". Basicaly they are researching it. They are replacing mine. Was bad for a while. Then good for a week, then went black this weekend while watching a DVR event.

"At this point, the sw and hw teams are gathering data on
these black screen issues... but like you said, I don't think
temperature is the issue."

Scott

Went out again............

Mine went black again. I did a front panel reset and it came back. Called E* and talked to the tech. She asked if the power went out on the reciever when it went black. I couldn't tell her one way or the other. When the screen goes black on anybody else, have the led's gone out? I can't remember. I just have been doing the reset, without looking to see.
She said that if it happens again, to call E* as soon as it happens, so they can trouble shoot.
Thanks for the responses so far.

Lyle

My 622 is having this black screen of death quite a bit. It did not seem to do it the first few months - now it is every day or two. And the front panel lights stay on when the screen and sound go off. After a few minutes it will automatically reboot itself.

Any updates on this? Any fixes in the works? If this is not fixed with a download before football season - I can see myself smashing it to bits if it blacks out during a fourth quarter drive in a close game.

I might have some info thursday 07/13

I spent 2 hours with a great CSR on this issue. My 622 started with the BSOD issue and now other, possibly related, issues have started. they are sending a tech out thursday to diag the problem.

2 weeks ago a tech came out to switch my 942 for the 622. He did a straight disconnect of the 942, hooked up the 622, and setup the box.

1 week later I had the BSOD, after reboots both soft and hard, I called the CSR. The 622 says I have a "switch check" issue. Also, while on the phone with the CSR, I was checking each tuner using the PIP and ended up getting the black screen on the main display AND STILL GETTING picture on the PIP Window. Out of instinct, I hit the swap button and, after a screen flicker, ended up with the sound that went with the PIP on the main picture which was still BSOD. Nothing short of a hard reset would fix the issue.

I hope you can understand my ramblings. Try this, once you get the BSOD, try to open the PIP, swap, and see what happens....

I will let you know what I find out after the Tech....

changed LNB

Tech came out and immediately changed the LNB. This fixed the problem. According to the tech, it turns out the heat is killing the dual LNBs in the Phoenix area...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts