Blame "Viewer Advisory Board"

JeffH

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 6, 2004
If you are upset about the programming decisions of Sky Angel, be sure to also blame the members of their Viewer Advisory Board (myself included) that voted for Fox News, Hallmark, HGTV and others in a questionnaire back in late 2004. Also be upset at yourself for not becoming a member, you can join at their home page.

Jeff

JeffH said:
If you are upset about the programming decisions of Sky Angel, be sure to also blame the members of their Viewer Advisory Board (myself included) that voted for Fox News, Hallmark, HGTV and others in a questionnaire back in late 2004. Also be upset at yourself for not becoming a member, you can join at their home page.

Jeff

I WAS a member and not only did I write SA several letters (2), I sent them well over 10 emails asking them not to add adult content channels ... ALL I got back from them was, "Thank you for your..." BLAH BLAH BLAH - - They didn't care - it's as simple as that.

It's doesn't matter anyway now- - I canceled by sub, and am finished with SA...

G&T said:
I WAS a member and not only did I write SA several letters (2), I sent them well over 10 emails asking them not to add adult content channels ... ALL I got back from them was, "Thank you for your..." BLAH BLAH BLAH - - They didn't care - it's as simple as that.

It's doesn't matter anyway now- - I canceled by sub, and am finished with SA...

If you subscribe to Dish or cable or watch OTA television you will know what "adult" content really is. Do you subscribe to any other service or watch OTA television?

You may want to consider getting rid of your tv altogether.

Jeff

I think it's unfair to place the blame on the Viewer Advisory board or anyone that didn't join. When I joined, I joined through a request at the SkyAngel table at the NQC. A representative called me the next week and here I am. I think the questionaire should have been mailed and I didn't get mine. Even though I've been on the internet since early 94, the internet shouldn't have been their main source of the questionaire. My pastor, my brother, and one other person in our church knew nothing about it until it was a done deal. I will go along with the fact that I might could have found out about it if I had done a search of the SkyAngel website on a regular basis but too many things have taken the place of the internet in the past year.

I emailed SkyAngel and got a reply from Kathy Johnson saying basically I didn't know the original intent of SkyAngel when her father started his vision of SkyAngel even though I watched SA and heard what was advertised and still have the brochure from back in '97(I'd have to dig it out of the attic) I just think that the vision might still be the same but the results of the vision might be misdirected with some programming being allowed on there that is questionable. That is just my opinion and I am just one.

Just turn it off! Release it. Sounds like your anger is becomming bitterness. I for one re-subscribed to sky angel after the changes. I appreciate the family friendly nature of the channels. But either way i am still personally responsibility for what is on. If I sit you kid in front of the tv and do not monitor what he or she is watching I may as well have dish network. I still screen the prograrming, even the "Christian" channels, because some of the content is in my opinion NOT BIBLICAL!

No matter what they do they aren't going to please everybody because their subscriber base is too diverse.

Some subscribers get SA as an add on to Dish, so when SA shows a channel that Dish already carries, to them it's redundant. However, other subscribers only get SA and not Dish, so to them, having Fox News for instance might be a blessing, and let's face it, to a fundamentalist Christian, Fox News gives their viewpoint a much fairer shake than any other news channel does, so while Fox is far from perfect and does present some objectional material that I don't want my children to see, it is by far the best 24 news channel from my point of view as a believer and if I am going to have any news channel at all, that's the one I want.

And remember, almost any receiver nowadays has the capability to block channels through parental controls, so you have the option to block any of SA's offerings if they are objectional to you.

Or for that matter, as far as I'm concerned it's worth the very low subscription fee just for the radio stations. Where I live here in Nevada there is no Christian music OTA, so having that selection of crystal clear Christian music and talk is enough to want to subscribe even if I didn't ever watch any television channels.

john262 said:
No matter what they do they aren't going to please everybody because their subscriber base is too diverse.

Or for that matter, as far as I'm concerned it's worth the very low subscription fee just for the radio stations. Where I live here in Nevada there is no Christian music OTA, so having that selection of crystal clear Christian music and talk is enough to want to subscribe even if I didn't ever watch any television channels.

You prove the point, every Christian can find something (if they would only take the time to find out for themselves) valuable that they will enjoy on Sky Angel.

Jeff

What's with the good samaritan channel? All they show is pictures. Some of my favorite channels that SA has gotten rid of had much better programming than that, channels like The Dream Network, Pastor Glenn Plumber's CTN, daystar. What's the deal with daystar and dish anyway?

~ Kountzer ~

Kountzer said:
What's with the good samaritan channel? All they show is pictures. Some of my favorite channels that SA has gotten rid of had much better programming than that, channels like The Dream Network, Pastor Glenn Plumber's CTN, daystar. What's the deal with daystar and dish anyway?

~ Kountzer ~

The Good Samaritan Channel has adult instructional programming mostly during the work day. Overnight and during the weekends they do not have any programming. The programs are not religious in nature. Right now the program on GSN is "Behavior Management". At 11:30am EDT is "Prohibition of Abuse and Neglect", At 1:30 there is a program called "Therapy Coverage and Doc." at 3:30pm is "Living with Grief" At 7pm is "G.E.D. Reading" Then there is another instructional program at 10pm EDT.

The "deal" between Dish and Daystar is non-existent. Most may already be familiar with the goings on dealing with Daystar, FamilyNet and Educating Everyone on Dish, but I'll repeat a brief history here to answer the question.

This is long winded but there are many factors that contributed to the saga:
Cast of Characters:
Dominion, Sky Angel
Dish Network
Congress
FCC
Daystar
FamilyNet
Educating Everyone

First of all the basics:
Dish Network owns 11 transponder licenses at 61.5°
Dominion Sky Angel owns 8 transponder licenses at 61.5°
Rainbow (Voom) owns 11 transponder licenses at 61.5° (now selling to Dish upon FCC approval - not necessarily a done deal)
Rainbow has temporary authority to use 2 vacant transponders at 61.5°

Total 32 transponders (there are no more, that's it)

Dish wanted more than just the 11 transponders at 61.5°. Dominion did not have a satellite to launch (no money!) and they needed a way to deliver their programming. So...Dish and Dominion Sky Angel signed a long-term agreement for the life of E*3 at 61.5° or 10 years (whichever comes first). Dominion would be allowed to use Dish's satellite, uplink facility and billing services. In exchanged, they would "give" Dish the right to use 6 of their 8 transponders.

The contract details have never been fully released, but as part of the deal, Sky Angel has an "exclusive" (as in to exclude all others) right to channels that are mostly Christian in nature with the exception of the Christian channels already on Dish (EWTN and TBN). Also as part of the deal, Angel One would be placed in the clear at 119°.

So...fast-forward a few years. Dish is forced by FCC mandate to add "Public Interest Channels" and later by a different order forced to add "Must Carry" channels. Some one at Dish or Daystar, (I don't know which) gets a bright idea! What if, instead of carrying all the local channels from Daystar around the country taking up valuable bandwidth, they make a deal to have Daystar available to all subscribers on AT60 or DL2 and up nationwide?

Daystar had been put up as a PI channel at 61.5° but this deal moved it to 110°. I'm not certain, but FamilyNet had a similar history. Educating Everyone had mostly Shepherd's Chapel for programming.

Sky Angel was not amused. They asked Dish to remove the channels from national distribution in order to keep to the contract signed years ago. Dish told SA to take a flying leap.

Dish claimed that:
FamilyNet was not really a "Christian" channel. It was a general entertainment channel.
Educating Everyone only sold its time to the highest non-profit bidder. So what if it was all religious programming. It wasn't "really" a Christian channel.
Daystar was a federally mandated Public Interest channel and Dish had no control over the content so the exclusivity did not apply since it conflicted with Federal law.

Fast forward a couple of years and the COURTS tell Dish to adhere to the contract. The judge basically laughs at the FamilyNet argument and admonishes both Dish and FamilyNet for even trying such a stupid argument.

Dish drops FamilyNet, EE as ordered but fights to keep Daystar with the PI argument.

Dish and Daystar lose in binding arbitration. Dish then makes Daystar on channel 9408 only available to areas of the country with local Daystar affiliates. When they remove Daystar from national distribution, they put up a slate available nationally explaining they were forced to drop the channel by Sky Angel. The slate was accompanied by elevator music, but if you listened to it, it was a rendition of "Ain't Misbehavin'". I thought it was hilarious!

HOWEVER...this isn't good enough for "must carry". In a DIFFERENT action, the FCC and congress begin to investigate the practice of such a deal to carry only the national feed of a channel instead of must carry AND at the same time call it a PI channel. (Killing several birds with one stone). Before the investigation has a chance to take off, the deal between Daystar and Dish crumbles and Dish is forced to carry all the local Daystar channels as "must carry" rather than one Daystar channel.

Before anyone asks about TBN, the reason it counts as PI and there is no must carry for the O&O channels is because a must carry request for local O&O TBN stations never happened. The deal for national TBN distribution came about way, way before any of these other mandates.

I'm sure this is now clear as mud.

Anyway, in the interim, Sky Angel and Daystar had a lot of bad blood. The messages on Daystar were not too kind. From here on out the story of channels being "dropped" or "leaving" SA is pure speculation.

So all wrapped up, the deal with Daystar is that it had no business being nationally distributed by Dish. The contract between Dish and SA had been signed years earlier and had many years to run! If Dish did not like the terms of the contract, they should not have entered into the agreement in the first place.

See ya
Tony

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts