Satellite Viewer Advisory Board Discontinued.

ShaneLinder

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 1, 2006
Texas
November 30, 2007

The Viewer Advisory Board is taking a short recess

Dear Shane

By now you may have heard that Sky Angel is in the process of starting up a new IPTV television service. We are very excited about the possibilities that exist with the IPTV platform and hope you’ll become a subscriber. As such, the Viewer Advisory Board for satellite customers is being discontinued. The input we have received from our Viewer Advisory Board panelists over the last few years has been invaluable and we want to thank you for your participation.

Note: We will be starting a new IPTV Viewer Advisory Board program in the Spring of 2008. During the first few months of the year we will be recruiting new IPTV customers to become panelists. We hope that you’ll be one of the first to join in and become a member of the new IPTV Viewer Advisory Board.

Until then, Merry Christmas from Sky Angel!

Blessings,

Sky Angel Marketing Department

Really? They added Fox and HGTV after DH and I asked for them to be added to the lineup. There are several more things we suggested that they put into action including the Christmas marathon (we had asked for more holiday features).

Got the same email; guess the claims of "SA hasn't even officially notified subscribers" can now shift to "SA is such a rotten company - don't they know a lot of customers don't even have email? They should have the courtesy to send a letter through the mail detailing their plans..."

Sorry, it had to be said. You know something similar will now be the war cry of the disenfranchised.

:sigh:

The point is that the above email only goes to the select group of subscribers that signed up for the Satellite VAB in the first place, and acts as if subscribers already know (somehow) that DBS is shortly to be closed in favor of IPTV. Nowhere it does offer a significant explanation. In fact, it only says that the VAB for satellite subscribers is being discontinued, without actually saying that satellite service subscriptions are all being discontinued.

The point is that the above email only goes to the select group of subscribers that signed up for the Satellite VAB in the first place, and acts as if subscribers already know (somehow) that DBS is shortly to be closed in favor of IPTV. Nowhere it does offer a significant explanation. In fact, it only says that the VAB for satellite subscribers is being discontinued, without actually saying that satellite service subscriptions are all being discontinued.
I wasn't trying to imply that they had done a good job of notification, I was pointing out that they at least acknowledged it publicly in a communication to their subscribers (albeit a limited portion of them).

But you got me on the technical point about the board being discontinued rather than the service. I truly read it otherwise until re-checking the message. :bow

I wasn't trying to imply that they had done a good job of notification, I was pointing out that they at least acknowledged it publicly in a communication to their subscribers (albeit a limited portion of them).

But you got me on the technical point about the board being discontinued rather than the service. I truly read it otherwise until re-checking the message. :bow

I was on the board too and did not even get the email. I have never been told that my lifetime subscription is going away.

A while back we got our SKY ANGEL FAITH & FAMILY TELEVISION FALL 2007 NEWSLETTER. I don't know how many got this with their bill, and I don't remember exactly what bill it came with (October or earlier I think), but it does mention on the inside cover that SA was go undergo a "rebirth" and that they hoped we stuck with them. Kinda vague. On the inside and back it announces IPTV is "Coming soon!" but does not say it is actually replacing satellite. I guess they expected people to get all of that from the one word, "rebirth."

Sky Angel has been very vauge about IPTV and DBS ending. In their Holiday 2007 newsletter it has a note from Rob Johnson in which he writes: "Through our Sky Angel and Sky Angel IPTV service, we are committed to bringing you more choices." Nowhere does it say anything about DBS ending and leads its readers to believe that that both services will co-exist. Also, my annual subscription is ending soon and I got a bill in the mail yesterday. It states that "Sky Angel is no longer offering annual subscriptions." They want me to pay $12.50 monthly. Again, no mention of DBS ending very soon. I wish they would be upfront with their subscribers about this issue.

Last edited:
I got the same newsletter, with a "blank" bill that had some of my information on it (name & address) but no actual bill due, as I am a lifetime subscriber.

I agree - this newsletter could be read as DBS continuing, but IPTV also being an option for those who prefer it / want more channels.

Deliberate leaving a door open?

I agree, if it wasn't for this forum I would have taken their flyer to mean IPTV is an additional choice, not a mandatory replacement for DBS.

If it wasn't for them already selling their licenses to DISH I would say that skyangel was leaving a door open. Either as a back up plan in case IPTV fails (more likely with the demise of Canadian IPTV) or to possibly offer both DBS and IPTV (would have made sense to continue this until if/when satellite actually fails).

Is it possible skyangel has worked a deal with dish and does have a back up plan? that would explain lack of firm offers, prices etc. could it be done, in theory at least?

As sky angel canada actually failed/cancelled several months ago(october?) this might account for the odd behavior, vague flyers etc of skyangel US......... Once again though was a blatant lack of communication with its subscribers. yet they did cancel the viewers advisory board!

I agree, if it wasn't for this forum I would have taken their flyer to mean IPTV is an additional choice, not a mandatory replacement for DBS.

If it wasn't for them already selling their licenses to DISH I would say that skyangel was leaving a door open. Either as a back up plan in case IPTV fails (more likely with the demise of Canadian IPTV) or to possibly offer both DBS and IPTV (would have made sense to continue this until if/when satellite actually fails).

Is it possible skyangel has worked a deal with dish and does have a back up plan? that would explain lack of firm offers, prices etc. could it be done, in theory at least?

As sky angel canada actually failed/cancelled several months ago(october?) this might account for the odd behavior, vague flyers etc of skyangel US......... Once again though was a blatant lack of communication with its subscribers. yet they did cancel the viewers advisory board!

It might just be things are falling apart for them, so they aren't about to do anything that would alert customers to jump ship. I had hoped that IPTV would spread to other countries thus giving SA a bigger income and help the company grow. We wont' be getting it, but it is a useful service. We have loved having SA for about 4 years and will miss it when it's gone. Because of the Dish deals, we will probably switch before January 1st, which is coming up quickly.

Didn't get the email of the Viewer Advisory Board taking a short recess nor have I received anything of my lifetime sub being anything but valid......yeah right. Sure would be nice is SA would level with it's members, we've been honest with them and would expect honesty from them, I think they tout themselves as a Christian Satellite Service, I think. Two cents worth.

MDB in SE Tx

P.S. Looking into switching to DirecTV/NFL Ticket maybe if SA goes away and there isn't anything to hold me to Dish.........who else might switch?

Direct tv isn't an option for me, with the cost of all new equipment plus higher monthly fees than dish. If I switch to dish family I can use what I have. if I go with glorystar there is a one time purchase.

I want to see if the rumors about DISH starting a Christian package are true. Besides skyangel is till limping along, who knows for how long. Not sure they do.

I am also waiting for "official" notice from skyangel that they are cancelling my lifetime membership. My husband feels that since they shut of IPTV Canada with no warning or explaination we may get the same treatment :(

DirecTV is higher than Dish, and it does not have the channels we want. We will go with Dish.

We are thinking of jumping to Direct because they have more Christian channels than Dish but would prefer to stay with Dish because we no longer have a contract with them. I contacted Dish customer service about the Christian family package. They said nothing is planned as far a adding that package. If they do add a package then we will definitely stay with Dish. We may eventually go with Glorystar but don't have the funds for it right now. I did write to ceo@echostar.com and voiced my concern on the lack of Christian programming on Dish once Sky Angel goes away. Maybe if enough people did that they would put the package on the front burner.

Direct tv isn't an option for me, with the cost of all new equipment

Currently both Directv and Dish offer free installation with no equipment to buy, they loan you the equipment. Directv Family package offers more Christian networks than the Dish Family package which include: World Harvest Television, GOD TV, Daystar, TBN, The Word, TCT, NRB Network and EWTN.

Last edited:
Got my answer from the Echostar rep at ceo@echostar.com. He said Dish is considering putting together a Christian programming package similar to Sky Angel that would debut about the same time that Sky Angel discontinues service. He said he would email me when he has more information.

Got my answer from the Echostar rep at ceo@echostar.com. He said Dish is considering putting together a Christian programming package similar to Sky Angel that would debut about the same time that Sky Angel discontinues service. He said he would email me when he has more information.

Hmmmm. . .. I think we are still going for the DVR advantage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)