Blast from the past

Jim5506

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Lubbock, Texas
Just found some old pictures of my Dish equipment, etc.

ViP211 connected to TiVo Series 2 DVR - still have the 211.
DSCN0009.JPG

ViP622 and an HD-DVD player.
DSCN0001.JPG

Dish 301 connected to a Panasonic Replay DVR.
DSCN0016.JPG

Somehow the pix duplicated - sorry.
DSCN0009.JPG
DSCN0001.JPG
DSCN0016.JPG

I guess you weren't worried about your Dish receivers overheating, stacking other electronic equipment on top of them like that. At least the ViP211 is in an open, well-ventilated area, though. :thumbup

Reactions: MikeD-C05
My first Dish receiver was a 3900. Had an early/working version of inset video in the guide, too. Loved it. Actually had a high quality RF modulator, too. I don't remember it ever misbehaving. Not like my H3. :(

I think I had the 2800 and then 3900 receiver when I first got DISH and you had to buy them back then. I just remember that when you had to hit the guide and go forward an hour or two you would have to wait for the satellites to update your guide information. It was so slow. But that was back in 97 when I first started with DISH.

I think I had the 2800 and then 3900 receiver when I first got DISH and you had to buy them back then. I just remember that when you had to hit the guide and go forward an hour or two you would have to wait for the satellites to update your guide information. It was so slow. But that was back in 97 when I first started with DISH.
Yes, it was the same way with the 4000's and the 1000 that I started with. I was so glad to switch to 301's. Not only did they have the video window in the guide, but they also provided a slight improvement to this guide download problem. It still took several guide downloads to make it all the way out through the guide. However, at least they could go maybe a couple of hours or more out before requiring the next download. Also, the downloads were faster on the 301's, at least at first. Then, as Dish continued to add more channels, the guide downloads slowed down again to a crawl even on these new receivers. They eventually made some software improvements and some improvements to the way the guide data spools on the satellites, to help deal with this issue. However, the best solution at the time was simply to switch to the 501. It could store the entire seven-day guide on its internal hard drive. Better yet, it provided DVR functionality for no monthly fee. :eek: :bounce

Are you sure the 301s has a video window in the guide? Didn’t that start with the 500 series and 722?

I bought the $699 package back in 1996, the one you installed yourself and included one year of America’s Top 60 (I think?) to boot. I forget whether it was a 2x00 or 3x00 receiver, but it was far superior to the local cable offering and much cheaper. I’ve been with Dish ever since.

Are you sure the 301s has a video window in the guide? Didn’t that start with the 500 series and 722?
iirc, even the 3900/4900 had video in the guide. They were the first to get the Dish Home Interactive interface with the slooooow apps.
I am sure. I first noticed it in my first Dish receiver, a 3900, and went to Costco and bought another model back then which didn't have it. I returned that and got a 301. Worked like a champ.
TheKrell and dishdude are correct. For me, the 301's were my first Dish receivers with video in the guide. They quickly replaced my 4000's as soon as the 301 came out. Then, in spite of the 301 being a more advanced receiver model, Dish rolled out Dish Home on the 3900 and 4900 before the 301 got it. My sister had just left Dish, so I got her old deactivated 3900 so I could play around with Dish Home while I was waiting for it to be added to the 301. I spent countless hours playing Carrot Mania in the Playin' TV app. (Back then, they gave you one game for free, even without a subscription, plus demo versions of the other games.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts