Blind Scan question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SATisfied

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
Lineboro, MD
Does blind scan move the dish if it has a motor, or does it just scan the TP's once it is locked on the sat? I ask because I have a Captive Works CW600s which did not come with a blind scan feature on the original OSD. I upgraded to the latest OSD which now has a blind scan option, but I have yet to see any results using it.
I don't really know what exactly is suppose to happen. Does it search for sats, or does it scan thru random TP frequencies and polarities until it finds a live TP? I just want a little more clarity. Thanks

Blind scan searches every TP. Polarity and S/R on one satellite at a time.

There are some receivers that will move from satellite to satellite and blind scan each one then move on, the Satwork ST 3688 was one receiver that did it!

Ok. I guess the blind scan feature doesn't work on the new software. I get no results on any sats I scan. Thanks for the info. I ask because I read in other posts that when trying to locate a sat, many times the answer is to do a blind scan if you think you are near a sat. If you aren't locked dead on, how can blind scan do any good?

If you are close to a satellite (very close) you will pull in a few of the STRONGER channels, from there you can work out where you are.

One more question.
What is the difference between a regular scan and blind scan. Does blind scan find TP's that aren't listed ?

SATisfied said:
One more question.
What is the difference between a regular scan and blind scan. Does blind scan find TP's that aren't listed ?

Yes , a regular scan only " looks " at the TransPonders , and symbol rates that are listed for that sat .

A blind / power scan " listens " for anything it can find & saves that info as new TP's , if they are not already in your list .

This means , when you are searching for sats & you have your dish tweeked on SOMETHING , blind scan it & then compare the channels you get to those listed for sats , at lyngsat.com .

You may have found a sat , but not the one you thought you had .

Wyr

Ok, thanks WryTwister. That is what I wasn't getting. It makes more sense now.

So if I blind scan a sat does it show the channels while blind scanning, or is it just finding new TP's and then goes back and do a regular scan of all the TP's ? Sorry for playing 20 questions. I appreciate the knowledge shared here.

Honestly I dont think the Captiveworks has blind scan (even with their so called Blind scan option)

I've tried it and all it did was either give me no results or freeze the box (which makes me reboot it)

I haven't yet gotten a single channel from blind scan that I couldn't get from a regular scan. I would have to agree with you.

When I am trying to find a satellite, I go to LyngSat and find a DVB channel that is clear and enter the FR, SR and polarity and enter it manually into the receiver. I then start to bump the dish around until I get a strong signal, nine times out of ten you will find the satellite and channel you are looking for. Sometimes you have to adjust the slew or the polarity. When you get a strong signal, store the information into the receiver, then do a blind scan. You should be in business.

SATisfied said:
Ok, thanks WryTwister. That is what I wasn't getting. It makes more sense now.

So if I blind scan a sat does it show the channels while blind scanning, or is it just finding new TP's and then goes back and do a regular scan of all the TP's ? Sorry for playing 20 questions. I appreciate the knowledge shared here.

My fortec Ultra goes & finds all the TP's it can & then scans them .

I have read that other receivers do both operations at once , scans each TP , as it finds it .

Can not see it makes much difference , but some of the newer receivers have faster chips so they probably do it faster ?

Wyr

Diamond Jim said:
When I am trying to find a satellite, I go to LyngSat and find a DVB channel that is clear and enter the FR, SR and polarity and enter it manually into the receiver. I then start to bump the dish around until I get a strong signal, nine times out of ten you will find the satellite and channel you are looking for. Sometimes you have to adjust the slew or the polarity. When you get a strong signal, store the information into the receiver, then do a blind scan. You should be in business.

Is there a way to read the lyngsat.com page to determine which TP's will be strong ? Active ?

Thanks ,
Wyr

Diamond Jim said:

I'm not having a problem finding sats. It's just that my CaptiveWorks receiver doesn't have a working blind scan feature so I never have seen how blind scan is supposed to work. It now has the blind scan option with the new software, but it still doesn't work. Thanks for that tip though. I'm thinking about getting a second dish for G10r. I can't get a signal after 121W. I think my dish is too close the house and when it turns to 123W, the soffit overhangs the dish and obstructs the sat beam. That's one bird I want to cage.

WyrTwister said:
Is there a way to read the lyngsat.com page to determine which TP's will be strong ? Active ?

Thanks ,
Wyr

Active, go to the bottom of the screen and it tells you what each color means. The cream or off white are FTA DVB stations. As for strength, I say that's just luck of the draw.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)