Blizzard Announces StarCraft: Remastered, will also Re-Release original for free

yourbeliefs

Something Profound
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 20, 2007
Northeast
At Blizzard's I <3 StarCraft event in South Korea (one of SC's biggest markets) the company made 2 major announcements.

First, the original game and its expansion Brood War will be re-released for free to everyone, with enhancements including modern OS support and key rebinding. This will be available "Later this week."

http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/26/15064174/starcraft-brood-war-free-blizzard-version-118

Secondly, Blizzard is going to release a remastered version of the games this summer. It will basically just include enhanced presentation elements (Graphics, sound, etc) but not modify the actual game mechanics. It should also be noted that the re-release and this remastered will have cross support, meaning you can play against each other as well as share save files.

http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/26/15064054/starcraft-remastered-hd-blizzard-pc-windows-mac

Announcement trailer:

Also, I've heard a number of places reporting that if you purchased the original that you'd get a free upgrade to the remastered version, but I've found no credible sources (aka Blizzard) confirming this.

Here's my thoughts on the news:

Last edited:
Also, I've heard a number of places reporting that if you purchased the original that you'd get a free upgrade to the remastered version, but I've found no credible sources (aka Blizzard) confirming this.
That would be nice, still have my original CD (with CD Key on it) kicking around somewhere.

As it is, don't think I've played it in 10 years or so, was a great game though.

I could see myself playing through the original campaign. I've never played that game and I didn't get super invested in SC2 but I did have a decent time playing through the campaign. I don't see myself paying for the remastered version when they are giving out the updated original for free though.

I've never been really big in RTS games. The only one I was got slightly into was Command & Conquer and Red Alert.

I've never been really big in RTS games. The only one I was got slightly into was Command & Conquer and Red Alert.
I always loved them. After RPG's, RTS's are my second favorite type of game.

Played Command & Conquer, Red Alert, Warcraft, and the Age of Empire series , as well as the Star Wars version of Age of Empire, with a couple of friends for years.

Haven't played the newest versions (Startcraft II & Warcraft III) much though. Mostly because me and the friends I would play them with all got married and had kids, thus making it harder to get together to play against one another.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)