Blockbuster to close all 300 remaining stores and distribution centers by end of December 2013 or ea

Times are a changing' in the rental industry .. Honestly BB would have been gone a lot sooner if it wasn't for Dish propping it up for this period of time. (I know here in Columbus MOST of the BB's closed around the time Dish was getting ready to take over) .. In fact they bulldozed a few of them and built other things there. (We did have a few in town that are now taken over by Family Video stores) -- Which always seems to be busy when I pass.. Stinks about the job loss.. and Dish could have used the B&M stores to push Dish product heavily .. but I guess that wasn't in the big plan.

We still can (not as much since we moved out of town though). Family Video is growing, slowly, but hopefully wisely.

The last Family Video in my parts closed at least a year ago. Now that I think about it, I have no idea where any B&M video store is anywhere nearby. I'll look into that for grins.
I would hazard to guess Family is existing in mostly rural areas.

Last edited:
Job loss?

What about all the independent mom and pop video stores that blockbuster ran out of business when they came to your town?

I still stand behind the fact Dish grossly mis managed blockbuster.

As the blockbuster stores closed, family video has been poping up left and right.

I said to myself why the hell would you open a family video near a former blockbuster location?

All I can say is that family video figured out how to make money where blockbuster couldn't.

Btw, I can't stand family video. I was a few days late and they got this auto dialer that bugs the crap out of you until you return the video. I had no issue paying the late fees, but the last time I want there I returned the video with out watching it

To think at one time (back when DVDs were new) the movie industry was so afraid of Blockbuster being a monopoly that they tried all sorts of things to break it... Looks like they finally were successful. Remember the view once DIVX ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIVX )? The lawsuits to get rentals later than the retail release date?

Presuming you're from Indiana, there's ~60 in the state. 6-8 in Indianapolis, 3 in a Ft Wayne, and so on.

In Ohio, there are 3 in Lima but only 2 in Cincinnati (could be in suburbs - didn't look too closely). It just appears that they are cautious.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

To think at one time (back when DVDs were new) the movie industry was so afraid of Blockbuster being a monopoly that they tried all sorts of things to break it... Looks like they finally were successful. Remember the view once DIVX ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIVX )? The lawsuits to get rentals later than the retail release date?
Now Ticketmaster, THAT's a monopoly, and they have the unencumbered fees to prove it.

I subscribed to the blockbuster set of channels for a very short time.

Every single disk, DVD or BD, I requested arrived unplayable. The local store was helpful in exchanging it for a usable disk but "request disk online, wait for availability, wait for delivery, unpack disk, curse in frustration, drive to store, receive working disk, watch movie at last, then return movie to store" is not, in fact, a rental-by-mail method; it's a very very slow and irritating way of renting from a store. If the service actually worked, I'd have kept it!

Dish's streaming has exactly zero content worth watching, and the extra channels alone weren't worth the fee.

To you I guess, I watch those channels all the time. $120 a year for the entertainment I get from the 20 or so channels is worth it to me, and was before there was a Blockbuster included. (Platinum)

I did think DISH would do more with the stores. That said, it was a failing bankrupt company when DISH bought it. I got several movies by mail and people had jobs a little longer than they would have. It didn't work out in the end, but hardly it is that the fault of DISH. We have no movie rental stores nearby in Ct., and maybe one in a huge population where I live in Fl. Are all those closed stores the fault of DISH too? I have to think in the end they felt it wouldn't make a difference to dump money into the stores, the model is just not working now.

Btw, I can't stand family video. I was a few days late and they got this auto dialer that bugs the crap out of you until you return the video. I had no issue paying the late fees, but the last time I want there I returned the video with out watching it
One of the reasons why I stop renting there, other reason most of the dvd's that I rent was so scratched up that it was unwatchable, but that could happen at any video store that don't periodically inspect there rental returns.

What other video and game renting is there out there? Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

With the BB by me closing soon I guess, I have none but there are some family video stores scattered around

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

We had to do that too at BB back when I was a manager. BB was starting to curtail it when I left. Thank you BB you indirectly put me thru eng school.

With the BB by me closing soon I guess, I have none but there are some family video stores scattered around

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Family Video has been expanding for years. And since they're privately held, I really doubt that they would be expanding if they were losing money. And as far as BB closing the mail order business, that is Netflix's most profitable service. The fact that Dish couldn't make BB a profitable concern, even after all of the old debt was cleared out shows me that Dish didn't really want a disc rental business in the first place. For whatever reason they just wanted the Blockbuster name and couldn't care less about discs, b&m stores, BB employees and BB customers.

Between two local Family Videos, a crap load of Redbox kiosks, and a local library with an awesome dvd collection, I'm set. But there are a lot of people who are on the outside looking in.

One of the reasons why I stop renting there, other reason most of the dvd's that I rent was so scratched up that it was unwatchable, but that could happen at any video store that don't periodically inspect there rental returns.
The two closest Family Video stores that we frequented "cleaned" every disc, movie or game, before they handed it to you. I honestly can't recall any unplayable discs.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

To you I guess, I watch those channels all the time. $120 a year for the entertainment I get from the 20 or so channels is worth it to me, and was before there was a Blockbuster included. (Platinum)

I did think DISH would do more with the stores. That said, it was a failing bankrupt company when DISH bought it. I got several movies by mail and people had jobs a little longer than they would have. It didn't work out in the end, but hardly it is that the fault of DISH. We have no movie rental stores nearby in Ct., and maybe one in a huge population where I live in Fl. Are all those closed stores the fault of DISH too? I have to think in the end they felt it wouldn't make a difference to dump money into the stores, the model is just not working now.
I agree. I had the channels before the BB inclusion. My wife and I enjoy PIXL the most especially around the holidays. I never received any disks I had queued up. I had about a dozen games in the list for the grandson and they never shipped any. I just chalk it up to the pile of things others benefited from and I never seem to get a shot at.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts