Blockbuster Video to Support Blu-ray

So- no disagreement over my one million figure above? Where's Vurbano? ;)

Probably busy bashing the left-wing Pinko commie SOB's in The Pit. :eek:

You mean you were serious? I was waiting for the punch line. :p

First of all, it's a better explanation of the thinking behind BB's decision. They're struggling for profitability, still closing stores while straddled with the rent / lease commitment on the one they've closed. Tye're facing fierce competition from Netflix et. al for the rental business, and Wal*Mart et. al with selling DVD's for only 2-3x the cost of a rental. If they had to buy an equal number of HD DVD's for the expansion of HD titles in those stores, it would have been a big expense. Whether the money they saved outweighs loosing 30% of their high def customers who prefer HD DVD remains to be seen.

But I think you numbers are way off. At least 2/3 of that 170 titles are older, catalog releases. How much demand could BB expect for the BD release of Total Recall, Stargate, or The Dirty Dozen?

BB will stock only newer releases, and I would guess a max of 30-40 titles per store. The movie "purist" wanting older titles will either buy or rent online.

I have one of the test stores wher I live. One copy per title where I am. About 40 titles. Slow in receiving the new releases, manager was clueless. He told me a month ago that they were going to ramp it up in a month or so. Yes, probably some stock releases in there but the inventory should quickly build with new releases. I say at most 2 copies per store. Heck, I think I was the only one renting either format. Works for me.

I also agree with the last few posts. I still consider myself neutral because i do own and enjoy both formats. That being said, I am shocked by how increasingly irrational the HD-DVD crowd has become. Not just the blockbuster event but ever since Blu-Ray disc sales began to outpace HDDVD.

IMHO many in the tech crowd jumped on the HD-DVD wagon out of gate because intially the product seemed clearly superior. I know this because I was one of them! However, since then BD has made strides and is now on par with PQ/AQ of HDDVD and also has some advantages in other areas (studio support, capacity, blockbuster).

Initially I thought the irrationality stemmed from the fact that people were angry because they invested $$ in HD-DVD. Now I think the reason is simply that people are stubborn and don't want to be wrong. Well, get over it. I'm not saying everyone has to support BD but lets start using some objectivity.

/end rant

One of the better rants I've seen. ;)

I initially was not going to jump in either format, but bought HD DVD early on because it was clearly the better product, and I really like high def. I bought a PS3 a month or two back only because I got tired of watching BD exclusives on DVD, and I got tje 20GB model at a "happy price". I initially planned to just Netflix the BD movies I wanted, and buy HD DVD I wanted. But yeah, BD has improved alot and is now about on par in quality. I now own over 10 BD's. Movies such as The Queen, Deja Vu, Apocalypto, and Black Hawk Down are excellent.

I don't resent / resist Blu-ray because of the money I invested in HD DVD. Actually, factoring in the cost of upgrading to an HDMI audio receiver, I now have more vested in Blu-ray.

No, I still prefer / support HD DVD for two main reasons:

1- Sony: Not my favorite company, but I'm not a Sony hater. But the crap PR they come out with! In early January: "The format war is over, it's now safe to buy!" This week: "The format war is just beginning". They really need to get a new PR firm and/or muzzle company execs.

2- Blu-ray only supporters. What is it with the constant "Blu-ray will crush HD DVD" mentality? Too much testosterone? HD DVD only supporters may get a little irrational / in a state of denial from time to time, but I rarely see a HD DVD supporter claiming HD DVD will wipe Blu-ray off the face of the planet, like BR supported often claim in reverse. For the most part HD DVD supporters are content to just enjoy their format of preference and support it's continued existence. I appreciate that spirit of Détente .

...IMHO many in the tech crowd jumped on the HD-DVD wagon out of gate because initially the product seemed clearly superior....

I believe the HD DVD players are superior, and will remain so until October 31 compliant BD players, also with internet connectivity, come out.

Probably busy bashing the left-wing Pinko commie SOB's in The Pit. :eek:

AH, so the pit serves a purpose after all. Diverting attention....

First of all, it's a better explanation of the thinking behind BB's decision. They're struggling for profitability, still closing stores while straddled with the rent / lease commitment on the one they've closed. Tye're facing fierce competition from Netflix et. al for the rental business, and Wal*Mart et. al with selling DVD's for only 2-3x the cost of a rental.

Blockbuster has a good future, at least for the next few years. Haven't we been reading lately how much Netflix is worried and hurt about the advantage Blockbuster has with their option to return/exchange at the local stores?

But I think you numbers are way off. At least 2/3 of that 170 titles are older, catalog releases. How much demand could BB expect for the BD release of Total Recall, Stargate, or The Dirty Dozen?

BB will stock only newer releases, and I would guess a max of 30-40 titles per store.

Hasn't it already been posted that they plan on stocking over 170 titles?

With the expansion in July, the 1,700 stores will be carrying more than 170 titles in Blu-ray and will continue to add titles in the format as they are released from the studios.

I didn't read that as saying each store will carry 170 titles, but as 170 titles across the 1700 stores. But, who knows? And how does their Online Rental / In Store return policy work? If an online rental gets returned to a store, does that store then add it to it's rental pool, or send it back to the online distribution center?

I do know that even with Netflix carrying almost every title in BD and HD DVD, sometimes the HD title in my Q get shipped from places like Cleveland or Houston, instead of my "local" distribution center in Phoenix.

I had others post in other forms similar to FlyingJ's - that their local store had around 40 titles.

Expect an announcement any day now from Hollywood Video/Movie Gallery about how they "respect customer choice" and will be offering both formats. ;)

Well, that could be, too. I guess we'll find out over the next couple of months.

I still consider myself neutral -- no HD player of any kind yet. But this news gets me closer to buying. I still have to wait for my local mom-n-pop video store to stock HD titles. That could be awhile.

I miss my HD since the demise of VOOM DBS. I mean really GOOD HD!

As to the argument of one format or the other being "better technology". Who cares? BetaMax was supposedly better technology than VHS, but most people went with VHS anyway.

I don't really care which format wins. But this news gets me closer to buying Blu-Ray.

I still consider myself neutral -- no HD player of any kind yet. But this news gets me closer to buying.

I also don't have a player. But I have 3 Blu-ray titles. :rolleyes:

Frankly, I'd have bought a Blu-ray player by now, maybe even a PS3 with that (shudder) "S" word on it. IF there was one that was "October 31" compliant, and had an internet connection, had a decent selection of FF search functions, and played my DVD-audio discs, as well as +/- R/RW discs. And if it also played DVD RAM, I'd be fighting to hand over my money!

I'm sure I'll have to compromise, probably losing DVD audio and RAM features. That would mean I'd need to keep my old JVC multi disc player hooked up also. Maybe I could buy into that, planning on a future player filling the full need, and the first purchased one migrating to the bedroom or rec room.

BTW, I mentioned the FF search functions because my current four letter "S" word ones are "sh--" when it comes to that feature. I should have returned them for the junk they are!

But, I repeat myself.

Prices will have to lower or..

Im sure all of those J6P blockbuster renters are going to run right out and drop 500 bucks ona BD player?

I predicted a long time ago that Blockbuster would decide the war.

HOWEVER, I agree with Vurbano that the prices are still to high on both formats for joe consumer. If Blue Ray does not become reasonable...I still stay BOTH formats are History. I mentioned that even though Costco had the low end Tosh HD-DVD player locally for $250,,,they hardly sold any here in Reno, NV....CONTENT MUST ALSO IMPROVE TO GIVE THE CONSUMER MOTIVATION TO WANT BETTER QUALITY (remember, there are still the majority of consumers with analog TV's ...at least until 2009)....For most consumers, Regular upconverting DVD players are just fine ....Price vs need/desire! The 2 competing audio "SUPER" formats come to mind.

I agree with you, these are also the same people that are complaining about Comcast taking 30 analogs to digital in Chicago for more capacity.

I said it in another thread, if you have replaced you primary tv lately or will replace it in the future with a analog tv, youre an idiot. My dad just bought a 32" Olevia LCD for $499.

A friend of mine is the prime example. I told him how happy I was with my blu ray player and that it was leaps and bounds over the $120 Sony upconvert I bought last year. I TOLD him to wait till he could afford the $500 bucks for a BR player in the fall, plus they would prob be cheaper by then. WHat does he do last weekend, he buys the Sony upconvert. Idiot.

Here is one for Cochise since he thinks the only thing the 50 gig advantage is for is mpeg2:

Blu-ray.com

Blu-ray.com - Blu-ray News

"As promised, we have some exclusive news on the upcoming Blu-ray title 'Immortal Beloved' in celebration of the one year anniversary of Blu-ray. The title, due to be released August 21st, will make use of Blu-ray's storage capability and feature all three language tracks (English, French, and German) in lossless TrueHD. For those of you who have 2.35 screen capability, there will be a special feature that allows you to adjust the position of the English subs into the frame."

Imagine how nice it is for a company to release ONE disc with multiple language tracks in lossless truehd. Bah, who needs 50 gigs? :rolleyes:

Here is one for Cochise since he thinks the only thing the 50 gig advantage is for is mpeg2:

Blu-ray.com

Blu-ray.com - Blu-ray News

"As promised, we have some exclusive news on the upcoming Blu-ray title 'Immortal Beloved' in celebration of the one year anniversary of Blu-ray. The title, due to be released August 21st, will make use of Blu-ray's storage capability and feature all three language tracks (English, French, and German) in lossless TrueHD. For those of you who have 2.35 screen capability, there will be a special feature that allows you to adjust the position of the English subs into the frame."

Imagine how nice it is for a company to release ONE disc with multiple language tracks in lossless truehd. Bah, who needs 50 gigs? :rolleyes:

Many people don't play with DVD extras unless it is their favorite movie, let alone alternate audio in another language. I'd say that just makes it easier to sell the same product elsewhere. While I am sure the space has it's advantages, this isn't a good 'hah, got ya!' example IMO.

That was my point, the space is good for production companies. Wouldnt you rather use the format that allowed you to kill al your birds with one stone.

The release of Immortal Beloved is not the point, its what can be done with a 50 gig disc that is and why it matters.

Many people don't play with DVD extras unless it is their favorite movie, let alone alternate audio in another language. I'd say that just makes it easier to sell the same product elsewhere. While I am sure the space has it's advantages, this isn't a good 'hah, got ya!' example IMO.

Really?

Tagline:
The genius behind the music. The madness behind the man. The untold love story of Ludwig von Beethoven.

:hatsoff:

I can't wait to pop this baby into my PS3! :rolleyes:

Since you made it clear that Toshiba doesnt count total sales of the 360 addon, Im sure youll like these numbers.

HDDVD Stand alone + Addon = 300000 in the US (50/50 split)

BR + PS3 = 1.5 million (100k Stand alone, rest PS3)

That stands with the HDDVD claim of "60%" of the stand alone market, but its a number that doesnt help them much except in advertising.

Since you made it clear that Toshiba doesnt count total sales of the 360 addon, Im sure youll like these numbers.

HDDVD Stand alone + Addon = 300000 in the US (50/50 split)

BR + PS3 = 1.5 million (100k Stand alone, rest PS3)

That stands with the HDDVD claim of "60%" of the stand alone market, but its a number that doesnt help them much except in advertising.

As someone who has neither currently (but am admitedly partial to HDDVD) I am anxious to see the Blu-Spin once Toshiba ships all their laptops with HDDVD drives in them.
Though, with things so muddy at that point with the camps reporting drastically different 'installed bases' of players, all signs will just point to movie sales.

This is kinda tiring.

...A friend of mine is the prime example. I told him how happy I was with my blu ray player and that it was leaps and bounds over the $120 Sony upconvert I bought last year. I TOLD him to wait till he could afford the $500 bucks for a BR player in the fall, plus they would prob be cheaper by then. WHat does he do last weekend, he buys the Sony upconvert. Idiot.

Sounds like you lost a chance to sell your old upconverting player. ;)

Sleeping Beauty on Blu-ray in 2008. Disney missed a great chance. Daddy wants a big screen TV for the holidays and that title would go a long way toward getting buy-in.

As someone who has neither currently (but am admitedly partial to HDDVD) I am anxious to see the Blu-Spin once Toshiba ships all their laptops with HDDVD drives in them.

BR already has an argument for that, its called BR drives in mac laptops.

I agree though, counting of sold units is starting not to matter.

It matters in a way, but the movies is where the money will be.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)