HMM: 115,000 not 190,000 & 51:49 Blu-ray

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
From this link:

"Though there was no hot new Blu-ray Disc release, consumers continued to buy more Blu-ray Discs than HD DVDs for the week ended Oct. 21, albeit by a slim 51% to 49% edge. Paramount says Transformers sold 190,000 units its first week in stores, but Home Media Magazine market research and studio estimates puts the actual number of units that sold through to consumers closer to 115,000. "

Yeah, right. Who's got an incentive to lie? Who has retailer reports to go by? Who has it as their main job function?

Nielson exists to collect data. That's what the company is about.

Look on the bright side. Since you now can play Blu-rays, you can get the POTC series and maybe a few others.

I would think Paramount knows better than they do.

Paramount knows how many it sold to the channel. How many are on store shelves and how many were bought is the question. It is possible that stores bought extra since it is a popular title and they wanted the inventory through Christmas.

This was a very good week for HD-DVD but it still came up a little short as in BD 51% and HD-DVD 49%. Still, it just shows how hungry HD-DVD owners are for good titles. There just does not seem to be many desirable titles coming out right now for HD-DVD.

Let's face this like a man. Sony knew they had the better format during the VHS/Beta wars but all the titles were on VHS and Beta lost out period. Now most of the desirable titles are coming out on BD and it is showing in total disc sales. And if just half of those PS3 owners were to buy BD movies you would see the differance between BD and HD-DVD grow quickly.

Next stop for HD-DVD is the Bourne Surpreamacy release followed by Shrek 3. After that -- what will they come up with? Surely Startrek is not going to carry the banner -- not at the price they are asking. So what it is going to come down to this XMAS for both camps is the new releases and the prices of the players. Things are getting interesting.

Let's face this like a man...most of the desirable titles are coming out on BD and it is showing in total disc sales.
Let's face it, Sony knew they are in trouble and dropped the BD prices in half (B1G1 free). As did the rest of the BD gang.
And even this barely helped to beat the effect of one (!) title on HD DVD...
See, I can twist reality space, too...
And if just half of those PS3 owners were to buy BD movies you would see the differance between BD and HD-DVD grow quickly.
Oh yeah... and if I were rich and young...
If the PS3 ever gets the promised games, the number of them used as BD players will go down.
If they don't get the promised games, it won't be manufactured for long.

It would be safe to say that we won't hear the parroting chorus "We Won!" from the BD-land for a while since by now even they finally realized what a havoc one decent title can do...

Diogen.

Own3d!

I know that I gobbled up several BOGO Blu-Ray's last week.

Bring on Spiderman and the Simpsons Movie!

And if just half of those PS3 owners were to buy BD movies you would see the differance between BD and HD-DVD grow quickly.
First, you shouldn't start a sentence with and. :D

Second, this is a very interesting point that I feel could drag out the war. How many more devices cable of playing a Blu-Ray disc are there? 10 times, 6 times? The adoption rate is so much better with HD DVD. There are 6 times the players and only 2 times the software sales. The studios might see this as a huge advantage for HD DVD. If the adoption rate stays similar and player slaes greatly increases HD DVD my be able to stay even or better Blu-Ray sales.

It is interesting how the HD-DVD people spin every thing, first they wont count the Playstation, then they will count the Playstation to support some twisted argument. Transformers sell a boot full of discs, still can't take the week away from Blu-ray total sales and its the end of Blu-ray, if a Blu-ray disc were to sell, it is a fluke that means nothing. Are you guys all Republicans ?

I am just messing with you guys :)

No doubt the BD group ran the big sale to steal the thunder from the HD-DVD group. I was a big contributor... I bought 10 BD discs last week 0 HD-DVD. Nothing like getting 10 titles $97 delivered. If HD-DVD were to run a blow out sale like that I would pick up some titles too.

It was not like the release of transformers was going to be a surprise, BD had plenty of time to plan an attack. I think they were probably still disapointed that they barely won, the sale had to have cost them some $$.

I have the Bourne movies on order, but I do not think they will cause much commotion. I do not think Shrek will do much either. Animated movies on DVD (much cheaper DVD) look good enough upconverted for the kids to watch 500 times.

Transformers was a movie made for the target HD player audience. A very good fit with the demographic.

Sony giving away Spiderman with PS3 will be good since they will be pointing out that yes there is a movie player in there. But, SM3 was not as good as the previous and I do not expect it to be anywhere recieved like Transformers was.

To date Spideman 3 income $336,279,383 and setting records for first day opening all over Asia and Europe. Transformers $298,144,000.

So why would Spiderman3 not be as big a draw for BD fans as Transformers was for HD-DVD?

The only reason I can see is because there are so many more titles for BD that folks want then there is for HD-DVD and that is the only reason.

I think the key words here are that the BD studios GAVE their movies away for FREE. Just to win by 1% :rolleyes: I wonder what that cost them. Sure would like to see the HD DVD proceeds vs the BD proceeds for the week.

To date Spideman 3 income $336,279,383 and setting records for first day opening all over Asia and Europe. Transformers $298,144,000.

So why would Spiderman3 not be as big a draw for BD fans as Transformers was for HD-DVD?

The only reason I can see is because there are so many more titles for BD that folks want then there is for HD-DVD and that is the only reason.
Because it is the 3rd movie of the series and has been deemed easily the worst of the three. Frankly the plot was a mess. The box office can be explained by the popularity of the series. But will people buy this train wreck now? knowing it was such a poor movie? Transformers on the other hand was a first and had a huge number of adults who grew up watching the cartoons and playing with the toys ready to buy the movie. Transformers on HD DVD also came out a lot closer to the airing in the theaters than SP3. They struck while the iron was hot. Seems like SP3 has waited until people forgotten what a bad movie it was?

I think the key words here are that the BD studios GAVE their movies away for FREE. Just to win by 1% :rolleyes: I wonder what that cost them. Sure would like to see the HD DVD proceeds vs the BD proceeds for the week.

Actually it was 2%. I am sure they view it as money well spent. They probably want to show that since Christmas of last year HD-DVD has never beaten BD. Hard to claim the format winner if you get beaten in sales...

BD Forum BOGO Promotional cost = $20 * 100,000 = ~$2,000,000

HD DVD PRG Promotional cost = $150,000,000 for Paramount exclusivity

By my calculations, Blu-ray comes out about $148 million ahead on this one :rolleyes:

BD Forum BOGO Promotional cost = $20 * 100,000 = ~$2,000,000

HD DVD PRG Promotional cost = $150,000,000 for Paramount exclusivity

By my calculations, Blu-ray comes out about $148 million ahead on this one :rolleyes:
20 dollars? WHat BD can I get for 20 dollars? they sell closer to 30. And you forgot to add up all of Sony's bribes to all of the studios of the BOGO movies and exclusive BD retailers. Also you need to divide that 150 mill by the number of weeks Paramount is to be exclusive.

Because Transformers was day/date release with DVD and SM will not.
Who wants to see it in the comfort of their homes have done so.

Diogen.

It is interesting how the HD-DVD people spin every thing, first they wont count the Playstation, then they will count the Playstation to support some twisted argument. Transformers sell a boot full of discs, still can't take the week away from Blu-ray total sales and its the end of Blu-ray, if a Blu-ray disc were to sell, it is a fluke that means nothing. Are you guys all Republicans ?

I am just messing with you guys :)
Hard to win a week when the other side is giving their product away for free.
:rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts