Blu-ray and HDMI splitter - Loss of Voice channel

gbjbany

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
El Dorado Hills, CA Nr Sacramento
Mnay have done used split hdmi to send a video/sound signgal to a remote tv.

Have any of you also tried to send PS3 blu-ray video/sound ?

Im over 15m's about approx 65feet and am losing the voice channel for my bluray dvd's only, im getting dish sound output ok, and im getting other audio signals

If i change input's on my receiver (dish to blue-ray or vice versa) , i lose the signal and reseting the hdmi splitter (plug-unplug) seems to fix it.

I am using this For only $24.91 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 1X2 Powered HDMI Splitter (HDP-102) | HDMI Active/Powered Splitter

They do make another For only $54.32 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 1X2 PRO Series Powered HDMI Splitter (1.3b ATC Certified) | HDMI Active/Powered Splitter
which seems to say it would support longer runs.

Any thoughts in this ? If this is in the wrong forum let me know, it seemed blu-ray specific so i put it here

That is a strange problem. I would say, just a guess mind you, that it is a handshake problem. When switching it must have a problem with the way it is doing it. Don't know how you would correct it though.

If you find out, let us know. I am thinking of doing something similar.

well i returned the splitter and upgraded to the pro, that seems to have stopped teh splitter needing a "reboot" , so i will put that down to a bid s hdmi plitter.

But i have since retested with my other tv and ps3 to receiver to tv for the wolverine origins is the same on my panny plasma. in the opening scened the father enters the room and i cant hear him at all, i can hear the boy coughing, music etc but no speech.

So today im going to try a few things. PS3 direct to tv (was going through a sony receiver and the splitter) , check out the ps3 audio settings and connections and also dvd and another blu-ray dvd to see if i can isolate what it is.

i'll let you know what i find out.

ok so it's not the splitter, it's not my receiver it's the ps3.
I am using Linear PCM output and HDMI settings.
The setup is ps3 to tv only.
If i only select 2 channel output format's i get voice on the tv. if i select 5.1 or above i get no main voice.
This sort of makes sense, as the voice is being split across the left and right speaker instead of through a center speaker when in 2 channel mode.

I have a sony av receiver so i want 5.1 most of the time
The receiver is a sony ht-ss2300 which is not terribly sophisticated.

so seems i cant watch a dvd/blueray that way because of limitations on connections for optical on my receiver and on optical the ps3 only outputs dolby, dts or 2 channel

Last edited:
... the ps3 only outputs dolby, dts or 2 channel
This isn't PS3's limitation.
SPDIF, being it coax or optical, can't carry anything else. Unlike HDMI that can carry multichannel LPCM.

You are correct that voice/dialog is most of the time in the center channel and heard in 2-channel mode only if properly folded into them.

Do you go PS3->TV->receiver?
If yes, that is most likely your problem.
Most of the TV's can't pass through multichannel audio, only stereo.

Try PS3->receiver->TV instead.
If the receiver doesn't support HDMI repeating with HDCP (for Blu-ray), run the video directly to the TV and audio over SPDIF directly to the receiver.
You'll lose lossless audio support but it will be multichannel.

Diogen.

EDIT:
BTW, why do you need a splitter? Your receiver has 3 HDMI-ins and 1 HDMI-out.
http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/se...1&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=1005449
And you might want to read from here
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=16054858#post16054858

Last edited:
Diogen thanks
My set up is ps3 to receiver to splitter to 2 tv's
One local tv and one remote tv 60 feet away via hdmi.
The remote tv is the one want to be able to play ps3 blueray to, as i dont have a receiver there, just a plain 2 speaker tv.

So my issue is how can i send audio and Video to the receiver and then on via to HDMI - 1. Video only to the local tv and 2. video/audio to the remote tv.

This works ok with my Dish receiver via the same sony av receiver but not with the PS3.

According to the (long) AVS forum re: this receiver, it is having problems sometimes when connected to the PS3.
Some of them have workarounds, have a look.

Henry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)