Blu-ray consumers buying more from Amazon, Wal-Mart

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Advertisement

Ive always bought from Amazon. I think a rise for BR at wally world is a good thing.

JULY 8 | Amazon.com and Wal-Mart are increasingly winning over Blu-ray Disc customers, according to recent NPD Group surveying.
NPD surveys done last fall and in March both show Best Buy as the preferred Blu-ray shopping destination, followed by Amazon and Wal-Mart.
But NPD senior industry analyst Russ Crupnick says the latest survey reports that current respondents are showing growing affinity to Amazon and Wal-Mart, which coincides with strengthened merchandising at the retailers.
“While Best Buy is still the leader, the percent of people who are saying that Amazon.com and Wal-Mart [is their favorite Blu-ray retailer] is growing at a much faster pace than average,” said Crupnick.
Blockbuster was elevated to No. 5 in the ranking in NPD's latest survey, following Target at No. 4. Financially struggling Circuit City placed No. 4 in NPD's fall report, with Target at No. 5.
NPD did not provide specific percentage responses from survey participants.
Explaining the rise in popularity by the No. 2 retailer, Crupnick especially took note of Amazon’s aggressive marketing of Blu-ray, because the site consistently trails mass merchants in standard-definition DVD business.
“All the efforts that Amazon.com has put into the category are paying off. They are always running a lot of specials,” said Crupnick of the site’s frequent exclusive offers. “Also, their customer profile is just dead-on for Blu-ray. It has an early adopter demographic, higher income and educational level.”
NPD’s latest study matches Amazon’s own findings about its Blu-ray performance. The site commands a Blu-ray retail share that is 3.5 times that of its standard DVD share, according to Peter Faricy, VP of movies and music at Amazon.

The fact that Best Buy is still the leader shows how ignorant the majority of the public is when it comes to pricing. It's almost disgusting to see how much BB charges compared to Amazon and even Wal-mart. Best buy's pricing on the movies makes me want to burn the store down! :)

Yeap.... I don't think I ever purchased an HD disc in either format from BB or CC. Amazon, free shipping and no tax, plus way cheaper.

S~

Best Buy has high prices on CD's as well. I've only seen Best Buy competitive with DVD box sets on sale. Even during the BOGO sales, Amazon and Fry's had better pricing.

Who needs to be dragged over the coals is Target. That store is supposed to be a discounter but they price their HDM like Best Buy and Circuit City.

Yeah, if I have any fuel leftover, I'll stop at the Targets too! It'll be a glorious new HD world of only discounted media available.

It wouldn't hurt if Walmart lowered some prices. Over 75% of the BD section the other day was at or about $30.

The fact that Best Buy is still the leader shows how ignorant the majority of the public is when it comes to pricing. It's almost disgusting to see how much BB charges compared to Amazon and even Wal-mart. Best buy's pricing on the movies makes me want to burn the store down! :)

Yeah, I think about people I know who live in Best buy. Amazon is such a better deal, especially on small stuff.

It wouldn't hurt if Walmart lowered some prices. Over 75% of the BD section the other day was at or about $30.

I've noticed walmart is very odd in their pricing. Near me, not a single BD is over $27, most non-new releases are $23 or $24 and some titles (Stargate, Terminator, and a few others) are like $11-$14. Very Amazon like. Of course, right across the street at Meijer, most BD's are like $36-$40 and friggin people are buying them. Even old crap is over $30. I tried once to tell people it's cheaper across the street, but they still put the movie in the cart and looked at me like I was an ass for telling them they can save $10 a movie by driving across the street.

I'm dumbfounded that anyone buys BDs from Best buy. They almost always run $5-$10 more expensive than Amazon, Wal-Mart or Fry's.

Yeap.... I don't think I ever purchased an HD disc in either format from BB or CC. Amazon, free shipping and no tax, plus way cheaper.

S~

Although I've bought lots of BD from Amazon, they have just started charging Tax for NY. Perhaps other states.

Although I've bought lots of BD from Amazon, they have just started charging Tax for NY. Perhaps other states.

That's a NY thing... it's either that or they have to cut off the thousands of affiliates in the state that drive business to them (which is what Overstock.com did). New state law says that affiliates count as a physical presence in NY (the same as a brick and mortar, or a warehouse). Amazon is suing them over it. Other states are getting the same idea, within the next year or two you'll likely have to pay tax at all major online sites regardless of which state you are in. Affiliates are very important to large ecommerce sites.

Amazon getting in other trouble too... they aren't collecting sales tax in some states where they operate warehouses because they've created sub companies to manage their operations (and dodge collecting taxes), but then go and list them as their own warehouses at Amazon.com.

As for the topic, the few BDs I do have I've probably bought at full price, stuff like Celine Deion and National Treasure 2 were all picked up at Best Buy as spur of the moment gifts for the wife.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)