Blu-ray disks?

Gib4500

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
Ohio
Are most of the blu-ray movies on 25gb or 50gb disks? I just got the movie to live free or die hard and on the back it said it was a 50gb disk. I havn't watched it yet but it said the bitrate is 28Mbps!!!! I like how the ps3 tells you the bitrate of the movies. Aren't they coming out with even larger disks for blu-ray? I believe i saw up to 200gb!!!!!! Thanks.

I think most newer movies will probably be coming out on 50 GB discs, although most of the early ones were 25. Some of them will say "dual layer" on the box, but most don't...

Don't get too caught up in the Bitrate - plenty of other people here will tell you there's a lot more to video and audio quality than just a high bitrate... just watch with your eyes and enjoy what you see. If you get caught up in the numbers and find out a certain movie's numbers are lower, you'll start imagining imperfections that aren't there... :)

I don't think there are any plans (at least that I've heard) for more than 50 GB on movie discs - those bigger ones are being talked about for data storage. Also, keep in mind that more space doesn't equal better quality - just more content.... the bitrate is not affected.

Are most of the blu-ray movies on 25gb or 50gb disks?
There were reports that there are quite a few BD releases that use 42-46 GB blu-ray discs.
It was related to coating technology switch and the first generation discs were losing few GB on the outer edge of the disc.
I like how the ps3 tells you the bitrate of the movies.
This topic was discussed many times on AVS and insiders on both sides (Amir and paidgeek) confirmed
that the number reported by the PS3 (as well as any other HD/BD player capable of doing this) is very approximate.
The most reliable way to figure out the average bitrate is to rip the movie to a hard drive, demux the video stream and look at its size.

For example:
AVS Forum - View Single Post - Has Warner started using format-specific encodes?
Harry Potter Chamber of Secrets is 161 min long and video uses 17731 MB on disc.
17731 * 8 / 161 / 60 = 14.9Mbps is the average video bitrate.

Diogen.

Hitachi states their 100GB disks can be read on current machines with a firmware update. This seems to indicate at least "some" planning for the possibility of using them for movies. Gone With the Wind (4 hours) with HD extras, a variety of lossless music tracks? And then some? Maybe for 3D (yes, it's being discussed)?