Blu ray Media

Yes, good price and encouraging they are continuing to come down. I had to order some discs yesterday so I bought 10. I'll let you know how they do. I got an e-mail this morning from them stating they had been shipped. (3-5 days free shipping).

I have Star Wars I & II on a SL, I could fit the other 4 on a DL from the source file sizes I have...things that make you go hmmmmmm.....
It sure does. I just burned Xmen Wolverine the movie + DTS HD MA audio track to a single layer BD last night. The retail movie has 49 GB used on it, only 17 GB is video and 3GB DTS HD MA track. Ridiculous. We are getting ZERO improvement in Video quality with the demise of HD DVD. Frankly I knew this would happen. I cant believe people actually thought that they would get better video with a larger disc. All we are getting is more CRAP.:rolleyes:

I need a program that can reauthor blu-ray files. I can rip them no problem, but all I want is the movie and that program somebody posted earlier in this thread doesn't seem to want to work for me.

I need a program that can reauthor blu-ray files. I can rip them no problem, but all I want is the movie and that program somebody posted earlier in this thread doesn't seem to want to work for me.
clownBD, http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=25818&highlight=clownbd It integrates everything and is very simple.

To sum it up in one sentence: Clown_BD will enable you to extract (on the fly) the main movie and language streams of your choice, resulting in either transport streams (for Media Jukebox), an ISO image (for PowerDVD) or even a burned BD disk (for standalone players).
You have to make sure your java is up to date though.

Yes, Vurb. I bought the ones for $2.99 - 25 pack ink jet hub printable. They work fine. I put a 2 hr 20 minute 1080p-30 x 1920 dance recital on it and it took about 20 Gb as I recall.

The cool thing is the free shipping. Be forewarned though the disks come shrink wrapped and no spindle. There was no branding on them but they work 100% burning at 4x. I have 3 left. :)
I bought the 25 pack for 65 dollars that are silver, no label. I guess I can use a Sharpie on them. Wow thats $2.60 per disc shipped to my door. I really don't care about speed as I don't think I will do a lot of burning maybe one or two a week. And as I recall with CD's and DVD's when those burners came out the motto was the slower the better to insure a compatible disc with players.

And as I recall with CD's and DVD's when those burners came out the motto was the slower the better to insure a compatible disc with players.

Compatibility was not the problem with speed, it was "buffer overrun" The trick to burning DVD's, especially the Blu Ray high bit rate process is to not mess with your computer while it is burning. Allow all your CPU and data thruput to be dedicated to the burning process so that the data is ready to flow as the DVD needs it. If the DVD is burning and the data gets delayed, there will be an interruption in the data flow during playback. This is very bad for TV that requires a consistent frame rate at the display.
If you want to avoid coasters on your computer, always take a break while you burn the disk and let it do it's own thing. Other tricks are to not be connected to internet, and disable the virus scanner. Of course you will know your equipment and what you can get away with but the best way to avoid bad burns is to just let the computer dedicate all it's power to the job of making that disk.

Compatibility was not the problem with speed, it was "buffer overrun" The trick to burning DVD's, especially the Blu Ray high bit rate process is to not mess with your computer while it is burning. Allow all your CPU and data thruput to be dedicated to the burning process so that the data is ready to flow as the DVD needs it. If the DVD is burning and the data gets delayed, there will be an interruption in the data flow during playback. This is very bad for TV that requires a consistent frame rate at the display.
If you want to avoid coasters on your computer, always take a break while you burn the disk and let it do it's own thing. Other tricks are to not be connected to internet, and disable the virus scanner. Of course you will know your equipment and what you can get away with but the best way to avoid bad burns is to just let the computer dedicate all it's power to the job of making that disk.
No I recall burning cd's or DVD's at 4x or 8x that played on the computer but would not play in a commerical player at the time

No I recall burning cd's or DVD's at 4x or 8x that played on the computer but would not play in a commerical player at the time

Really? I have had a DVD burner since they first came out and have never had problems with any of the ones I have burned over the years, and I have burn literally thousands of them.

ramy- you are a youngster indeed. Lets take a look at memory lane :) The first DVD burner was introduced in the US for $50,000 in the mid 90's, Late in 1996 IIRC? Tell me you owned one of those. Next year they dropped in price to $30k. then 20k a year later to 10K. I know a guy here in town that went to Japan to buy one just so he could say he was first in the US to offer this technology. I told him he was crazy! In less than a year he agreed with me. :D For him, having a 5 million dollar production facility, it wasn't out of line to spend $50,000 on something like this. He also bought the first Avid in Florida.

The real problems with the first DVD-R was not that it didn't work but that the earlier players used a laser that couldn't resolve the dye on those disks. As the players refined their technology to increase the resolution of the laser, DVD+R was introduced and that served only to confuse the consumer as to which would do what. DVD+R had nothing to do with the compatibility issues at the time. It was a way to create a competitive format and achieve exclusivity in licensing. This is what happens when you have lawyers directing the engineers on technology.
What did improve with the burn side of the technology was the consistency of the manufacturing process so that in a stack of 100 DVD- or + R, you got greater yields. But, you still didn't improve playback compatibility with those older vintage players.

As prices tumbled on players, the newer ones that could play more formats became cheaper than the older ones that could only play those replicated disks. It took about two years to convince the J6P with more money than brains that his $900 DVD player he bought in 1997 was not as good as a player he could buy for $49 at Radio Shack that played every format. IT was during that time, about 2004 when I added a large duplication facility in my business to duplicate DVD and within a year later VHS died a quiet death!

Around 2002 there were some partially compatible players and partially compatible burners. I have one in my car and it will play a DVD-R that was recorded in a modern vintage 2007 burner but not when burned in a 2002 vintage burner. It wasn't until 2007 that the DVD-R process had matured to be considered close to 100% compatible. I have records here that indicate about a 3% return rate on incompatibility in 2007. In 2008 the return rate was 0%

But my operation is quite small producing on the average around 3000 DVD-R a month.

Vurbano- A computer DVD burner will play it's own burned media perfectly. Less chance that media will play on another computer different brand model burner/rom player or STB player. It's just the way the technology developed as reviewed above. Getting older technology players to play newer media has always been the problem. It was why I stayed out of the DVD duplication business until a time when I know most people were dumping their older expensive players for cheaper more compatible players. I didn't want to deal with returns that clearly played in a modern player.

Last edited:
Going by specs, DVD+R has better error correction features and is a bit smaller in size than DVD-R.
Therefore, everything else being equal, DVD+R has a better chance to be readable when scratched.

Don't know how much of this is marketing and how much truth - the +R was initially marketed mostly by Sony...:rolleyes:

Diogen.

I've had better luck with DVD-R playing in most machines over the years than DVD+R...
To simplify, the -R format was CE's creation, the +R - the computer industry's.
Therefore, there should be no surprise that CE devices were more comfortable with -R.
I think the first generation Panasonics were outright rejecting +R disks.

The separation between the two started getting moot when DVD player manufacturing started moving east...

Diogen.

ramy- you are a youngster indeed. Lets take a look at memory lane :) The first DVD burner was introduced in the US for $50,000 in the mid 90's, Late in 1996 IIRC? Tell me you owned one of those. Next year they dropped in price to $30k. then 20k a year later to 10K. I know a guy here in town that went to Japan to buy one just so he could say he was first in the US to offer this technology. I told him he was crazy! In less than a year he agreed with me. :D For him, having a 5 million dollar production facility, it wasn't out of line to spend $50,000 on something like this. He also bought the first Avid in Florida.

Ok, I didn't mean the very first ones. My first recorder was one of the first DVD+R/DVD-R burners. It was around $300 when I bought it.

ramy- Thought so. :) By the time that Sony-Phillips +R burner hit the scene for the $300 price point the -R had already reached a 75% compatibility rate with players. Most if not all as I recall +R burners were combo with -R after about 6 months but the very first +R were only + and there was this huge scare that we were getting into a real compatibility battle with 2 too many formats. I have a smile today when I think how every new system introduced we go through this with incompatibility. Some day these manufacturers will learn that the consumer just won't accept more than one format. I wonder when Apple and Microsoft will give up the battle and settle in on one OS that runs on all platforms. We're getting closer with the demise of the power PC.

Apple gesh..... Last time I shopped for laptops I could buy 3 intel/micorsoft ones for the price of one Apple that was supposedly equivalent. With as fast as technology changes and computers go obsolete who can afford apple?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)