Blu-Ray not quite ready for prime-time?

shy_guy

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007
I have had my Blu-Ray player now for over 6 months. I really didn't notice a big picture quality upgrade vs. upscaled DVD, but I do like DTS surround better than DD. Anyway, I had Blu-ray via netflix and watched several movies without a problem until "Fame." I returned this movie 4 times for replacement and NONE of them would play. There were no scratches, cracks, or any visible defects on the discs. I even tried updating my firmware to no avail. After this fiasco, I removed Blu-Ray access and I'm considering going back to DVD for purchases just in case the format fails.

I am just feeling unsure that Blu-Ray will really be the true successor to DVD.

Blu-ray IS prime-time.

It IS higher quality regardless of whether you can see and/or value the improvement.
I could understand the desire to abandon a format when unable to play Lawrence of Arabia. But Fame?

BD most likely will never dominate the home video market the way DVD did...

Diogen.

I have had my Blu-Ray player now for over 6 months. I really didn't notice a big picture quality upgrade vs. upscaled DVD, but I do like DTS surround better than DD. Anyway, I had Blu-ray via netflix and watched several movies without a problem until "Fame." I returned this movie 4 times for replacement and NONE of them would play. There were no scratches, cracks, or any visible defects on the discs. I even tried updating my firmware to no avail. After this fiasco, I removed Blu-Ray access and I'm considering going back to DVD for purchases just in case the format fails.

Did you post this thread like 18 months ago, and it just now showed up for some reason?

While there are many Blu Haters out there. I don't for a second think that Bluray will be the Disc format of the future.

Within 12-18 months I'd doubt you will see ANY DVD players in the retail supply chain at all.

Anybody looking for a player will be purchasing BD players. Secondly with the recent Federal Net Neutrality ruling more and more Internet providers will block or restrict your bandwidth if you use Video Streaming, making the Discs the only real alternative for First Run Theater entertainment moving forward.

Internet Video Delivery is going to be killed by the Internet providers over the next 2 years MAX.

John

What kind of Blu Ray Player do you have?
The difference between even an upscaled DVD and a Blu Ray is like night and day most of the time. It depends on what you get. Blade runner was worth it. So was Toy Story 1 and 2. Haven't some reported problems with Netflix Rentals?

Way past failure point.

I wonder what size HDTV you have, if you can't see the difference, and what player. There's a BD player on Woot right now for $80, but I doubt it's "full featured."

I'm waiting anxiously for "Lawrence" to come out on Blu. :D

Yep, lot's of folks expect internet delivery to be a killer. But there's no way we'll see that bandwidth available and installed to most US households in the next two years. And some of us will always prefer physical media, anyway. Eventually, all but the cheapest optical media players will also play BDs. BD does not have to replace DVD to be a success.

Internet Video Delivery is going to be killed by the Internet providers over the next 2 years MAX.
I'd rephrase this:
Internet video delivery is going to dominate the video consumption market over the next two years MAX.
:)

Diogen.

I believe Internet content delivery will expand greatly but will not replace blu Ray because rural areas are way behind in getting 4 th generation data speeds that make HD data reasonable. In the cities and populated areas, yes.

the OP is a bit behind the times.

And I agree that ISPs will be "difficult" on video, but I don't think they'll succeed. Not in the next 2 years, probably never.

I believe Internet content delivery will expand greatly but will not replace blu Ray because rural areas are way behind in getting 4 th generation data speeds that make HD data reasonable. In the cities and populated areas, yes.

the OP is a bit behind the times.

They need to cut off the food and water supply to these radicals and get them to move into the big cities like the rest of us conformists.

OP,

You never mention what player you have, how it's connected, etc, I also haven't seen any trouble reports on this particular title.

S~

Not as long as most of the Nation doesn't have High Speed internet and ISP's are allowed to limit a user's bandwidth. Yes, Comcast won their case on appeal.

S~

What the..... I feel like I was put into Mr. Peabody's Way-back machine...... :)

I have an LG BD370 connected via HDMI to a 50" 720p/1080i DLP Rear Projection HDTV (both set to 1080i). I realize that the image quality may be better, but I just can't tell. That may be just me. Maybe my eye sight isn't that acute.

The point of this thread was just to express some of the frustration I have experienced with the format, and see if anyone else had these issues or if it was just my player.

If I wanted to knit-pick, I would mention that Blu-ray will most likely confuse the masses for the simple fact that you must press "select" not "play" to start a movie. I figured it out right away, but my kids, wife, and in-laws had to be shown. If there is a "play" button on a remote, it should do what it says, right? I e-mailed LG to see if they could fix this with a firmware update and they said I could return the unit for a refund. What was that about?

You should separate the issues you have with your equipment and the format capabilities.

DLP can't show interlaced (it can handle interlaced as input), hence your TV set is 720p.
I love the first generation Samsung DLP RPTV sets! The best TV there was to connect to a PC!

BTW, start with setting both, the player and TV, to 720p, it could be much better.
And move your couch closer...:)

Don't get me wrong, there are many ways to screw up a BD playback system.
Many do: from using composite connection to sitting too far...
And I'm not even talking about that f***ing DRM they pile on.
Just remember, it can look better. Much better.
Compared to regular DVD playback.

Diogen.

Last edited:
You should separate the issues you have with your equipment and the format capabilities.

DLP can't show interlaced (it can handle interlaced as input), hence your TV set is 720p.
I love the first generation Samsung DLP RPTV sets! The best TV there was to connect to a PC!

BTW, start with setting both, the player and TV, to 720p, it could be much better.
And move your couch closer...:)

Don't get me wrong, there are many ways to screw up a BD playback system.
Many do: from using composite connection to sitting too far...
And I'm not even talking about that f***ing DRM they pile on.
Just remember, it can look better. Much better.
Compared to regular DVD playback.

Diogen.

Thanks for the tips. I had no idea DLP couldn't display 1080i. I will set both to 720p (and the Dish receiver) and sit closer (I currently sit about 12 Ft. away.) to see if it's an improvement.

They need to cut off the food and water supply to these radicals and get them to move into the big cities like the rest of us conformists.

ROFLMAO! Ah... are you one of those it takes a village people? :D

Remember the rural people can drill a well without the neighbors asking if they have a permit and can plant a garden and raise chickens without the HOA threatening you with a law suit. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts