Blue Screen on JVC TV

Diamond Jim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 18, 2004
The Boilermaker State (#19)
I have a JVC i Art 32 inch TV that I bought in 2005. I have an OTA digital receiver hooked up to the coax input with a Linkbox 9000, an AZ Box Premium Plus and a Motorola 922 (used only for a dish mover) with RCA's plugged in to the RCA inputs. Every thing has been fine until about a month ago. When when the TV was turned on the screen would be black until I turned on any of the listed components. Now when I turn it on with the receivers turn off the screen is black for a few seconds then turns blue for all of the inputs until I turn on the digital box or any of the receivers. The signal will come in fine for that input but the other inputs remain blue when not in use. I have Googled this problem but I can not find any information about the i Art model, only the JCV Smart TV. The solution for the Smart TV is to unplug all of the inputs and the TV and let sit for awhile. I did that and and kept it off over night. It did not work. Does anyone have and idea what caused this after all of these years or how to cure this problem? This may sound petty but it is a hassle to use the TV when the blue screen showing. Any tips or help would be deeply appreciated. Thanks.
JVC 2.jpg

I had Mitsubishi HD RPTV that suffered something similar, in that all the analog inputs had either stopped working, or had the default screen which denoted No Input. The Internet identified the bad voltage regulator which I was able to get and solder in thanks to “How-to” videos. This was after having to replace the filter capacitors in the Digital module’s Power Supply which caused another problem of no image or sound, just a blinking power LED.

Reactions: Diamond Jim
Blue screens almost universally mean that you're asking to view a source that isn't sending a signal. I have a more recent JVC branded TV (JVC hasn't made consumer TVs for a while now) and it has always presented a blue screen after a few seconds if the selected source wasn't sending a signal.

Consider using a comprehensive remote (such as a Harmony) that turns on the source first and then turns on and selects the input on the TV. This would replace having to discipline all viewers into making sure the source was available.

I expect that most modern TVs will have some unusual display that notifies the viewer that the source they're asking for isn't available. Some are perhaps less jarring than others.

At 15 years old, there's little hope of repairing such a problem and it would certainly cost much more than a new TV just to have the problem diagnosed.

I can't remember what I paid for it but it was well below the posted price.
New TVs are lighter, cheaper (probably even less than you paid in 2005) and offer relatively terrible sound systems. The small TVS are usually pretty short on HDMI inputs and may not even have RCA jacks for video so be careful to cover all the bases.

What harshness said. The money you save getting a TV without analog input might get spent on a $10-$25 RCA->HDMI dongle, so doing some research might pay off.

I’m not sure if COVID will also break the old model of TV manufacturers and retailers discounting prices more around the SuperBowl this time, but normally it might pay to wait if you aren’t in a hurry. Since your JVC died, you’re not really in a position to put this purchase off two months.

My Sanyo tube HDTV would have problems when I moved it as the input board would come dislodged inside it and have to be pushed back in place. Hopefully yours is something just as simple.

The problem is either the blue drivers on the back of the pcb board ( on the picture tube) is unplugged or the blue transistor on the main board is bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk