Bluefield/Beckley DMA on Dish - any updates?

bluefield/ beckley wv dma update

has anyone heard anything else recently about the local channels for bluefield. beckley wv. on dish network i know they have been uplinked for months now, and the last i heard they were to be on by the end of 2009. and that was according to WVVA one night.
Im just curious because if dish network would get these i would go back to dish in a heartbeat, and dump directv

June 3rd date given by Cong. Rick Boucher

Congressman 'Tricky' Rick Boucher says that Dish will cover the Bluefield/Princeton DMA starting June 3rd.

I tried asking customer service at Dish what I'd need to get the channels (equipment & cost), and they continue to say that locals are not available. I'm thinking about calling them at midnight tonight just to see if they'll talk about it then.

I've been without fox, cbs, & abc for so long, I really don't miss them anyway.

I'd advise anyone to carefully consider any contractual commitments in order to get new equipment for the local stations. Any "free" equipment or installation may wind up costing you in the long run...beware.

If it's true that the locals will be available starting tomorrow, then this should be my last post to this thread.

June 3rd date given by Cong. Rick Boucher

Supposedly locals for Bluefield area will start June 3rd

Just called... not available yet, but the lady told me I had 77W... I checked my setup and know that I have 61.5 110 119 and 129. Looks like I will need to get a new dish installed :( Unless that Dish 500 can be reaimed.. Would I lose anything if it is possible for that move?

correct
They are on 77W in HD (except the religious station) and usually locals become available at 6AM Eastern the next day

What receivers do you havce? Best option is a Eastern Arc dish (unless you got some old receivers)

Questions about new locals on 72* sat

I live in the Bluefield/Beckley DMA, and have some technical questions.

I presently have a Dish 500 (110/119) to a model 508 dvr. The Dish 500 dish is mounted on galvanized fence post instead of on the house (only about 4 feet off the ground).

I know that my local channels are on the 72 degree sat., and they just became available, but I would like some info before ordering.

I know that I'll need a dish pointed at 72*, but I doubt that there is a dish assembly that will do the 110/119* plus 72* satellite and fit on the existing fence post. I'll also need a dvr/receiver upgrade to do mpeg4/hd, but my main concern is the dish(es) and coax.

What I don't know is will I need another coax running into my house, or is there a separate switch (or a built-in lnb/switch replacement) that will combine all of the sats down to one single coax? (assuming that the 72* dish will be separate)

The reason that I ask is that I may need to place the 72* dish some distance away from my existing 110/119* Dish 500 because of trees, new vinyl on house, location, etc. I'd also rather not have to run another coax into the house if I can help it, and I'd rather not put a wall mount up on my new vinyl siding.

There's a good spot that I could easily mount a separate 72* dish on a different fence post, but I'd estimate that would be up to 20 feet away from the existing Dish 500 assembly.

Any technical info that would help me with my question will be appreciated!

Thanks

Iceberg, I'm also in the Bluefield/Beckley DMA. Dish 500 (110/119), a 508 dvr and America's top 200 package.

I know that the dvr will need upgraded for HD, and that with the correct dish(es) that I could get my locals and top 200 channels (that are part of my package) in HD.

Question: Will I need to keep the Dish 500 pointed at 110/119, and then add another dish for the HD, or can a new dish pointed at the 'Eastern arc' receive all of my existing SD channels in the Top 200 package plus the HD channels? In other words, is there a way that I can get my existing package channels, + HD, + locals, but not have multiple dishes?

Thanks!

actually they are on 77W

Do you know what LNB you have? Is it Dish Pro (with a DP on the LNB) or Legacy (with Dish Network logo on LNB)

They will most likely give you an eastern arc dish (1000.4) that will be for 77, 72 and 61.5 satellite locations. This will replace your 110/119 dish. You will need an MPEG 4 receiver for eastern arc. A single coax will feed all three satellite locations to one single tuner or one dual tuner receiver (with a separator). Additional receivers will require another coax for each one. The coax most be RG6 type. Hope this helps.

Ok. Let me make sure I understand what everyone is saying. Here is my current set up.

I have Americas Top 120. No HD service currently. I do have one HDTV that my main receiver is hooked up to. My 2nd receiver is hooked to two SDTVs. My dish is mounted on a 4ft pole at the corner of my house with 2 LNBs.

Dish: 500 (gets 110 and 119)
Primary Receiver: 625 (1 coax line from dish)
Second Receiver: 322G (2 coax lines from dish. 1 to receiver, another to 2nd TV)

Are you all saying I will not only have to get a new dish, (or 2nd dish), but also new receivers? I assume that the receivers are able to downgrade to an SD signal as I do not want to upgrade the two SDTVs in the kids' rooms.

Am I looking at fees for this? New commitment?

They will most likely give you an eastern arc dish (1000.4) that will be for 77, 72 and 61.5 satellite locations. This will replace your 110/119 dish. You will need an MPEG 4 receiver for eastern arc. A single coax will feed all three satellite locations to one single tuner or one dual tuner receiver (with a separator). Additional receivers will require another coax for each one. The coax most be RG6 type. Hope this helps.

Sparky, it looks like you've answered my question. I replied to Iceberg to see if he has anything else to add.

If I can use a 1000.4 dish, I may need to move it from my present Dish 500 location, but that's doable. It may work out even better, since the present location is very near my driveway, and the look-angle for the Eastern sats should allow me to move that single dish to a much better location (behind instead of in front of house).

Thanks!!!

Sparky, it looks like you've answered my question. I replied to Iceberg to see if he has anything else to add.

If I can use a 1000.4 dish, I may need to move it from my present Dish 500 location, but that's doable. It may work out even better, since the present location is very near my driveway, and the look-angle for the Eastern sats should allow me to move that single dish to a much better location (behind instead of in front of house).

Thanks!!!

Ok. Somehow I missed a few posts on here. Must be with the way this page loads in IE. Takes forever with the ads and sometimes doesn't even load.

Anyway, so I need to get a new dish. The Eastern Arc. From look on Dish's website it looks like my best receiver options will be the 722k for my HDTV and a 222k for the two SDTVs. I'm gonna get on chat and see what kind of prices I'm looking at for all this.

I did notice on the site that it says the package I have is no longer available and I will only have it until I upgrade. I pay $34.99 for the AM120 and it is now $39.99 due to locals being added.

If anyone else finds out costs for all this (my contract is up in July) please post them here.

Thanks, and sorry for missing the explanation post!

Ok. Let me make sure I understand what everyone is saying. Here is my current set up.

I have Americas Top 120. No HD service currently. I do have one HDTV that my main receiver is hooked up to. My 2nd receiver is hooked to two SDTVs. My dish is mounted on a 4ft pole at the corner of my house with 2 LNBs.

Dish: 500 (gets 110 and 119)
Primary Receiver: 625 (1 coax line from dish)
Second Receiver: 322G (2 coax lines from dish. 1 to receiver, another to 2nd TV)

Are you all saying I will not only have to get a new dish, (or 2nd dish), but also new receivers? I assume that the receivers are able to downgrade to an SD signal as I do not want to upgrade the two SDTVs in the kids' rooms.

Am I looking at fees for this? New commitment?

you would need new receivers for the locals since they are only in MPEG4HD. They would end up setting you up on a Eastern Arc dish and a couple new receivers

Yes they can set up the receivers to show 480i picture (downconverting) for the SDTV's

you would need new receivers for the locals since they are only in MPEG4HD. They would end up setting you up on a Eastern Arc dish and a couple new receivers

Yes they can set up the receivers to show 480i picture (downconverting) for the SDTV's

I talked to a rep in chat yesterday. Here is what I was told.

• Primary Receiver 625 would be replaced with a HDDVR receiver.
  • Secondary Receiver 322 would not need to be replaced (asked twice but still don't beleive this)
  • Currently they have a deal for a free upgrade on a receiver with a 2yr commit. Installation for new receiver and new dish would be $15.
  • My bill would go up $5 for locals, and $10 for the HD service (which I don't want but was told I had to have for locals).
    • For AM120 that would make my bill $74.19 after tax. Currently it is $69.39 (including $10.47 for AMD networks).
  • For two years that averages out to $74.19/month of course.
    • I can get the next package up on DTV Choice 250 with the deal they have and it be the same average for a 2yr commit.
If what I was told by that rep was true, I'm seriously considering getting Direct. I don't like being forced into HD when I don't want it and I think it is silly that I need to pay for them to come out and give me what should have been done years ago.

I still may chat with another rep and see if they say the same thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts