Boatanchor speaker mod

Radioguy41

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 7, 2008
Lehighton, PA
Here's the speaker I bought. It's a Hallicrafters model R-46. The speaker grille was less than attractive.

hallicrafters_r-46.jpg

I removed the speaker and discovered the original flocked grill screen was underneath. It was really dirty, soaked in nicotine. Some Fantastik, hot water, and a scrub brush later and it cleaned up much better than I thought it would. I also polished up the paint.

There was a multi-section pot wired in that adjusted the resistance between 50ohms and 300ohms. Not sure what that was supposed to do but I replaced it with a 3-pole, double throw rotary switch. I wired it in so that now I can feed a 3.2 ohm input directly to the speaker or, by throwing the switch, I can feed a 500 ohm input through the original transformer.

I'm not happy with the switch plate so sometime in the future it will be replaced.

r46_mod-1.jpg

Larry

Very Nice Larry, I love old boat anchors myself and those old speakers really sound great!! Nice Hammalund btw!! :)

Here's the speaker I bought. It's a Hallicrafters model R-46. The speaker grille was less than attractive.

hallicrafters_r-46.jpg

I removed the speaker and discovered the original flocked grill screen was underneath. It was really dirty, soaked in nicotine. Some Fantastik, hot water, and a scrub brush later and it cleaned up much better than I thought it would. I also polished up the paint.

There was a multi-section pot wired in that adjusted the resistance between 50ohms and 300ohms. Not sure what that was supposed to do but I replaced it with a 3-pole, double throw rotary switch. I wired it in so that now I can feed a 3.2 ohm input directly to the speaker or, by throwing the switch, I can feed a 500 ohm input through the original transformer.

I'm not happy with the switch plate so sometime in the future it will be replaced.

r46_mod-1.jpg

Larry

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts