Boosting RF remote signal

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Captjaxk

Original poster
Mar 23, 2011
Home
I have a Directv remote I run in RF mode. The operation is very spotty and intermittent. Is there any way I can boost the signal to the receiver? I had an older receiver that had an external antenna on it and it worked great until the sound went out. So i got a new "improved " receiver with DVR. Can anyone Help? Because Directv sure can't.

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

I'm not aware of any way to boost the signal except be closer to the receiver. Sorry!

Thanks. I was afraid of that but I'm already within 20ft.of the unit. it seems like that would be close enough.

That should be plenty close enough. The ir setting is generally more responsive, although not as convenient.

You don't mention which receiver and remote setup you have, but my RC65RX controls my HR24-200 via rf mode when I am at least 40 feet away. If a new set of batteries does not help your situation, you may want to purchase a new remote.

I have the HR24-100 with the whole house set-up with the standard RC64RB remotes set to RF. I have 5 separate remotes that work all thru the house and will work out at my garage also which is 100 ft from receiver. I had the old DVR unit with the external Ant hooked up in my attic. So when I got the new unit I just hooked the old Ant line to the 2nd line input on the back of the HR24 because it was not used in the SWM setup. I know it says nothing about it in any manual (I called the manufacturer to see if there was any solution for external Ant hookup) but it seems to help my setup.

Add an external receive antenna at a central part in the house. You can build a 1/4 wave tuned to the RF freq and get even more range. Been doing that with my UHF remotes on my bud since 1990.

I have a Directv remote I run in RF mode. The operation is very spotty and intermittent. Is there any way I can boost the signal to the receiver? I had an older receiver that had an external antenna on it and it worked great until the sound went out. So i got a new "improved " receiver with DVR. Can anyone Help? Because Directv sure can't.

Is your recvr in a cabinet ?
Can it be moved to a spot that is not blocked ?

Have you tried that type of thing yet, possibly just moving to a different shelf might also help.

Add an external receive antenna at a central part in the house. You can build a 1/4 wave tuned to the RF freq and get even more range. Been doing that with my UHF remotes on my bud since 1990.

And how exactly does that help when there is NO (external) RF ant connection on any of these newer D* receivers??? :confused: :confused:

EXCEPT for the old HR20-100's, NO other HR2x DVR's do...

This is a mistake in DirecTV's STB design if no ant is external. I only have a SD receiver so I didn't know. I guess you could open it up and do an inductive couple to the ant inside the box. Or buy an external UHF remote converter and use that. With my bud I can go anyplace on my property (inside/outside) and work the RF magic.

Direct probably choked off its range because your neighbor could be changing your channels if they made it too sensitive. Thats not a problem with bud IRD's not many around :)

This is a mistake in DirecTV's STB design if no ant is external. I only have a SD receiver so I didn't know. I guess you could open it up and do an inductive couple to the ant inside the box. Or buy an external UHF remote converter and use that. With my bud I can go anyplace on my property (inside/outside) and work the RF magic.

Direct probably choked off its range because your neighbor could be changing your channels if they made it too sensitive. Thats not a problem with bud IRD's not many around :)

Back in the day when the HR20's were around, 1 had an external ant and the rest do not.
I rarely ever have a problem with the antennas, internal or not.

If your wanting to add antennas, how about adding the OTA antenna cards back in while were at it . :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)